Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

2 alignments, new shocks pass front tire still cupping, HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2013, 08:25 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 2 alignments, new shocks pass front tire still cupping, HELP!

Hey guys, I’ve been searching and coming up empty… I have had my 02 D cab at the shop twice in the last 7,000 miles for a front end alignment. The first time around they had to replace bunch of alignment bolts etc that were seized, after that the print out shows it aligned spot on. Well, 5,000 miles later my pass front tire was cupped along the outside edge so I took the truck back to the shop, they rotated my tires and re-checked everything, they said its still spot on, but now with 2,000 more miles on it my pass front tire is cupping again on the outside!

It has 7,000 miles on new Bilstien 5100 shocks set at stock height with OME 881 springs out front, Wheelers off road progressive AAL springs out back with Bil 5100 shocks, the tires are Michelin LTX AT2 in stock size.

I just called the shop back, they told me that it’s because of the “lift kit” which I argued isn’t really a lift kit, and if that was the case why is only one front tire cupping, not both. They claim that the ball joints etc are all solid. They also said that they read online that “Toyota Tacomas do not like Michelin tires” that they have read where this is common, Im calling BS! The truck only has 91,000 miles on it. Any ideas or things I can try? I really don’t want to chew up my new tires and obviously something is not right with that side even though they claim its 100%. Thanks again! Matt
Old 05-31-2013, 10:14 AM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

Take a picture just how bad is it??

Is this a shop that does 4WD trucks??

Just like anything else you get people that don`t care or know what there doing or both

It very well may be in spec to what they can measure .

Now if both tires cupped when on that side it rules out a bad tire I had one the a belt broke till I got it home I thought pieces would start falling off the truck.

Good Luck!!
Old 05-31-2013, 06:15 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The tire that’s on the passenger side front has 7,000 miles on it total, 2000 of which are from that corner, the outer tread blocks are definitely feathered, you can see it and when you run your hand backwards over them it catches, the driver’s side front, same thing 2000 miles on the front is 100% even. I do hear what sounds like something is a little loose somewhere when I go over certain bumps or really rough spots on these WV back roads. I am going to jack it up this week and take a prybar and check the ball joints etc. If everything is still tight Ill take it in for another alignment at a different shop, the shop that has done the last 2 are a reputable place, they used all Toyota bolts etc when they had the issue trying to align it the first time. I just hope I don’t take it somewhere and they find something stripped or broken, I will be pissed, all in Ive got around $650 in the front end alignment and my tires are wearing wrong! I guess its possible their machine is out of spec but I doubt it. I cant imagine it the Bilstien shock, I guess I could compress the spring and take it out just to test it but I know its going to be a waste of time! Anyone else ever have a similar issue?
Old 06-01-2013, 06:54 AM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

:jessica::jessica: It has been a while but I remember the one shop telling someone they could only measure and adjust the toe in and toe out They could measure and check the camber but did not have the correct shims to adjust it

The newer ones are adjusted by cams on the lower control arms..

Have you had this since new?? Did you ever hit anything hard enough to tweak something??

When did it start ?? When you changed the shocks?/ Wrong shock in the correct box.

I would guess you keep a real close watch on tire pressure.