1999 4Runner fog light switch - YotaTech Forums

95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

1999 4Runner fog light switch

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-06-2017, 07:27 AM   #1

My '99 4Runner 4wd SR5 4 dr. did not come with factory fog lights, though the factory wiring harness to the lamps was there. I bought OEM fog lights, put them in, and obtained the correct multi task stalk which mounts on the left of the steering column from Toyota. They tried to change over the old stalk to the new one but said that the new stalk which accommodates the fog lights would connect electrically but would not mount on the column. The service mgr. said he did not know why. Any help? Thanks. Bill in RI
triman650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 05:20 AM   #2
Contributing Member

Perhaps you bought a stalk from a 2001-2002 4Runner. Although similar, the end of the 2001-2002 stalk that fits into the steering column is bigger. You can check the part number of the stalk that you bought.
KZN185W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 11:32 AM   #3

Thank you for your response. Originally I obtained a stock OEM multi function stalk from a seller on ebay who guaranteed it came out of his 1999 4Runner. He had all positives as a seller so I had no reason to doubt him. I brought that item to the Toyota dealership to be installed. They said that it matches up via the electrical connections (male to female) but would not mount on the column. So, I sent it back to the seller while the dealership sent for the 'correct' stalk for my 1999 4Runner. What they found is that the original ebay item and the one they ordered were identical and so both would not fit.
They had no explanation for me, including the service mgr. So, they did in fact, as they told me, ordered the correct part number for my 1999 4Runner that accommodated the fog light switch and it would not fit. I called the regional parts distributor in Mansfield, Mass. and they only said to call the service mgr back and ask him again...! So that's where it stands. I did not remove the original stalk from my vehicle, as I only handled up close the ebat item, which looked outwardly like the one mounted on my 4Runner, but I could not see inside where it mounts. So, I'm still at a loss to figure this out. The service dept. mechanic did say maybe you can make some adaptation to make it fit, but he said further, 'we don't get into that.'
Old 12-07-2017, 01:11 PM   #4

I am not that familiar with the 1999 4Runner, but I was thinking that maybe the part that the multi-function stalk mounts to is also different between standard (no fog lights) and models with fog lights.

It is just an idea.

old87yota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 02:54 PM   #5

1999 Toyota 4runner fog light option

I was thinking the same thing, but that would entail a lot more expense and effort by Toyota...why change a whole steering column for a fog light addition and at the same time leave the stock wiring for the fog lights in every model, regardless of whether the fog lights came with it or not. I'm still trying to figure this out. Thank you for your input;
Old 12-07-2017, 02:57 PM   #6
Contributing Member

OP, do you have the part number of the stalk that the dealer gave you? the part number is indicated in the packaging's sticker. If i'm not mistaken, the number starts with "84140-". You can then check it here:
http://www.toyodiy.com/parts/xref

or here by using your truck's VIN:
http://www.toyodiy.com/parts/q.html
KZN185W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 07:19 AM   #7

1999 4Runner fog light adaptation

No, I didn't see the OEM part obtained by the dealership or know its part number, as they have already sent it back. I did, however, trust the Toyota dealership to properly look up the correct part number relative to my vehicle's ID number...they are, after all, agents of the Toyota Corp. The service mgr. said they did just that. They ordered the correctly identified part number for the multi function stalk that would accommodate the addition of fog lights and enable the fog light OEM wiring harness already in my vehicle to be used as necessary. The mgr. did say that the part they received from Toyota Corp. was identical to the part I originally provided them which I had procured from a knowledgeable seller on eBay. Since both parts were identical and both parts did not fit they sent the Toyota part back and I returned the eBay part to the seller. The mgr. had no further explanation except to say that 'maybe' the steering columns were different (?)! Thanks for your reply.
'
Old 12-08-2017, 08:40 AM   #8

Do you have a picture of your current stalk? How about the eBay stalk? Where are they saying the part you are looking for doesn't fit? I can't imagine that the column itself is fog light/no light dependent. So the multi-function switch has to bolt to the column in the same manner regardless of lighting package. Did they order the stick itself, thinking you were going to pull the internal clip and slide it into the base you currently have?

Here is a 96-02 column but they say it is a 96-98 switch.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/96-97-98-To...BZmcSI&vxp=mtr

Is it possible your '99 is a late '98? or is the dealer getting you a '98 switch based off VIN and it needs to be a '99?
fierohink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 05:58 PM   #9

1999 4runner OEM fog light switch

All I can say is that the dealership service mgr had my vehicle there (it's still there as of 12/9/17) waiting for an unrelated part/repair), had the VIN, and ordered the fog light stalk on the left of the steering column (the stalk is the one that controls lights,& high and low beam as well). So, I don't see how he could have ordered the wrong part. They were the ones who were to install it. The part they ordered was the same identical item I had provided them with initially, which did not fit. The first fog light stalk I provided, the Ebay item, came off a 1999 4Runner according to the seller, and he said it would fit '99 to '02. Could my 4Runner be a late 1998 model that sold as an early '99? I suppose, but wouldn't the dealership know that by ordering the part for my vehicle according to its particular VIN number? I agree that minor changes can be made to a model year in 'mid stream' but certainly the dealership parts dept and service mgr. unless incompetent should know that and be able to provide the correct part according to the VIN. In addition, 'service bulletins' are issued routinely by all manufacturers and sent to their dealerships to update any changes or corrections. I will ask for more detailed info when I pick up my 4Runner. Thank you for your input.
Old 12-08-2017, 07:29 PM   #10

With the help of your inputs, I may have figured this out (may have). I went to the toyota web site and entered my VIN. It did not give a complete parts list but identified my 4Runner as made in '3/1999.' So, it is a 1999 SR5. I then went to another site for the parts diagram for my vehicle. I found the multi function switches...there were essentially two listed, though it repeated itself to look like there were 4 switches. The switch ordered by Toyota may have been for a 'non tilt wheel' steering column. I dug out my original window sticker from the dealership that I kept and it does have tilt wheel (which I've never bothered to use). I believe that possibly they need to order the multi function switch (stalk) that is for the 'tilt wheel column' 'with fog lights.' It's a different part number but closely related to the other. So, there are two switches for fog lights...one for and one without the tilt wheel. It's also $25. cheaper for some reason ( $304.00 vs $332.00). The correct part may well be: 84310-3D060 as opposed to the 'non tilt wheel' stalk which is 84310-3D040. If this is the case then the dealership did not give enough attention to detail so as to ask whether or not my vehicle had tilt wheel. Just a possibility but i will contact them tomorrow, Sat. 12/9/17 and find out if I'm correct. Thanks for your help here. I"ll let you know what I find out.
Old 12-11-2017, 11:22 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by triman650 View Post
With the help of your inputs, I may have figured this out (may have). I went to the toyota web site and entered my VIN. It did not give a complete parts list but identified my 4Runner as made in '3/1999.' So, it is a 1999 SR5. I then went to another site for the parts diagram for my vehicle. I found the multi function switches...there were essentially two listed, though it repeated itself to look like there were 4 switches. The switch ordered by Toyota may have been for a 'non tilt wheel' steering column. I dug out my original window sticker from the dealership that I kept and it does have tilt wheel (which I've never bothered to use). I believe that possibly they need to order the multi function switch (stalk) that is for the 'tilt wheel column' 'with fog lights.' It's a different part number but closely related to the other. So, there are two switches for fog lights...one for and one without the tilt wheel. It's also $25. cheaper for some reason ( $304.00 vs $332.00). The correct part may well be: 84310-3D060 as opposed to the 'non tilt wheel' stalk which is 84310-3D040. If this is the case then the dealership did not give enough attention to detail so as to ask whether or not my vehicle had tilt wheel. Just a possibility but i will contact them tomorrow, Sat. 12/9/17 and find out if I'm correct. Thanks for your help here. I"ll let you know what I find out.
When I did the combo switch change on my '99, I used one out of a i think 99 or 2000 solara that I got from the junk yard. Bolted and plugged right in. I think the dealer guys were either dumb or trying to push a new part on you.
Also don't forget the relay in the under hood fuse box

Last edited by Robert m; 12-11-2017 at 11:23 AM.
Robert m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 05:45 AM   #12

Well, what I found out was that the service dept., after determining that the eBay multi function switch was incorrect for my 'tilt wheel' steering wheel, they went ahead and gave the same part number that was stamped on it to the parts department who just went ahead and ordered the same incorrect part again! That's simply incompetence! When that part came in of course it didn't fit! It was the same as the one I brought in. Then the service dept said they don't know what the problem is and left it at that. So, I went on line to the parts diagram, found the correct part number for 'tilt wheel with fog lights' and ordered it from the parts dept. He looked it up and said that part was no longer available! I wasted days at the dealership waiting for the incorrect part to come in when they were too incompetent to actually go and look it up like I did. So, I may be able to get the correct part through CarID..a remake I'm sure but they sure look like the OEM and the quality I hope will be the same or better. Lesson
Old 12-13-2017, 05:47 AM   #13

Well, what I found out was that the service dept., after determining that the eBay multi function switch was incorrect for my 'tilt wheel' steering wheel, they went ahead and gave the same part number that was stamped on it to the parts department who just went ahead and ordered the same incorrect part again! That's simply incompetence! When that part came in of course it didn't fit! It was the same as the one I brought in. Then the service dept said they don't know what the problem is and left it at that. So, I went on line to the parts diagram, found the correct part number for 'tilt wheel with fog lights' and ordered it from the parts dept. He looked it up and said that part was no longer available! I wasted days at the dealership waiting for the incorrect part to come in when they were too incompetent to actually go and look it up like I did. So, I may be able to get the correct part through CarID..a remake I'm sure but they sure look like the OEM and the quality I hope will be the same or better. Lesson