Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

03 Tacoma Wont Start After Cruise Control Light Flickering

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2009, 11:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
03 Tacoma Wont Start - Cruise Control Light Was Flashing and Odd Beeping Sound

My 03 Tacoma (30K miles) stalled and bucked on the way home this past Friday. After drifting to the side, the truck started with a little sputter and a strong foul odor (not fuel).

After arriving at home, I came back to the truck and noticed the cruise control light was on (no key in ignition). I started the truck moved it into the garage; the light powered off.

My wife checked the garage before going to bed and notified me that my truck was beeping and clicking. The cruise light was flickering on and off and I could hear a relay type click coming from the engine compartment. Again, the keys were out of the ignition.

I started the truck with out a problem and the flashing, beeping and clicking disappeard.

I don't know where the beeping was coming from, nor do I know about the clicking.

Two days later, the truck will not start. I have checked all of the fuses and relays but found nothing. It turns over as it should (very strong) but it will not start.

I swapped the relays, including the under-dash relay. Still nothing.

When turned to the "on" position, I do not hear the fuel pump whirring - but I don't ever recall hearing it.

Thinking back, I had two similar issues about a year apart. During those times however, the cruise light did not beep or flash. The first time the truck (under warranty) was towed to the dealer, who found nothing wrong. It ran fine for another year until the day it coughed and sputtered again. Both times it was humid and after a rain.

This time however is different. With the beeping, clicking, and no start.

The truck is sitting in the garage, I'll have to tow it to Toyota.

Any ideas? What would cause the cruise light to flash on an off without a key in the ignition. Could the factory alarm be malfunctioning?

Last edited by ultravista; 06-28-2009 at 08:00 PM.
Old 01-10-2010, 07:01 AM

I have the same electrical problems you're having - that are compounded by rain/humidity. My cruise just stopped working, the relay clicks at odd times, weird starting issues, and alarm going off for no reason.
Old 01-10-2010, 08:16 AM

My issue was the ECM (or whatever the computer is called). This is the second replacement, or the third in the Tacomoa. The truck is bone stock, nothing extra that feeds into the electrical system. I have no idea why the ECM keeps blowing.

This second replacement was free, as was the towing, covered under the 8 year 100,000 mile emission warranty. Not sure how the ECM is part of the emission system but ...

I am waiting for it to happen again.

I get schocked (static) a lot when leaving the vehichle. It doesn't matter if I back it out of the driveway or drive 30 miles. I get shocked when touching the door. Something is building up static.

Anyone else have static discharge when exiting?

What year is your truck?