Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners
Old 03-30-2016, 10:00 AM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Toyota Tacoma Brake Guides
Print Wikipost

'01 Tundra Brakes installed on '98 Gen 3 4Runner

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2010, 11:40 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hi, nice write up. I'm doing this swap myself on my '96 3rd Gen and I'm using 2006 Tundra parts. I just noticed one thing that I'd like to clarify which isn't shown in your photos. The pad retaining springs have small bumps in them which should be located on the top surface of the steel backing plate of each pad when everything is in it's final position. These (along with the hooked spring ends) ensure that the springs will not drop down and make contact with the spinning rotor. In your photos these bumps are meeting the inner faces of the steel backing plates of the pads and pushing the pads outwards towards the pistons. The straight sections on either side of the bump should be running along the inner faces of the pad back plates. It looks like your springs have been compressed by the previous owner leaving them slack between the pads. This is easily corrected by simply opening the "V" section of the spring while making sure that the locating leg sections of the springs remain parallel with each other and the pads. The outer locating legs of the springs should be wider than the gap between the backing plates when everything is in place correctly and the whole spring should need to be compressed to fit between them. I hope I'm making this clear guys because if they're fitted incorrectly the rotor will wear through the springs and the springs will fall out. Rock Slide has some good photos of his calipers which show the pad springs in the correct position and I'll take some shots of mine when it's done. I'm not knocking your work Ritzy4Runner but there's guys out there who'll do it by just copying your photos and leave the pad springs fitted incorrectly.

Last edited by Amonisis; 04-16-2010 at 07:49 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Ritzy4Runner (08-22-2019)
Old 04-17-2010, 11:45 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have to stop hanging out on here. Another great writeup sir. Your writeups are more complete than factory manuals. Now I also have no excuse not to do this upgrade considering the lack of cost and ease of install.

I can file a bit, I can bleed brakes, my son can help me understand those dang clips. Fools be wrecking their Tundras all the time out here.

We just did our MR2 calipers and pads and rotors a few months back-this is just as simple or more so.

I can not believe how well you were able to clean up those used pads Ritz. If you had not said differently I would have sworn the sanded pads were a brand new set.

twitchee2 do not feel bad-that is good labor cost for a front brake job properly done by a pro. modifier that is good feedback on the results of the upgrade.

need a 4Runner- slotted rotors are discussed on a number of braking threads the general consensus I have gotten from those discussions is that slotted or drilled rotors do not contribute to any real improvement on a 3rd gen-I am glad you had better results but the cost is significantly more for those types of rotors. The theme here is bang for the buck. Yes you are looking for the condition of the pistons-you want to be sure they are fully retracting to flush within the caliper and the rubbery boots are in good shape-not cracked or disfigured.

Ritz-What is your feedback on the improvement in braking ability please? More stable? Better pedal feel? Shorter distance?
Old 04-18-2010, 02:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
subscribed
Old 04-18-2010, 09:52 PM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Ron Helmuth
I have to stop hanging out on here. Another great writeup sir. Your writeups are more complete than factory manuals. Now I also have no excuse not to do this upgrade considering the lack of cost and ease of install.

I can file a bit, I can bleed brakes, my son can help me understand those dang clips. Fools be wrecking their Tundras all the time out here.

We just did our MR2 calipers and pads and rotors a few months back-this is just as simple or more so.

I can not believe how well you were able to clean up those used pads Ritz. If you had not said differently I would have sworn the sanded pads were a brand new set.

Ritz-What is your feedback on the improvement in braking ability please? More stable? Better pedal feel? Shorter distance?
Thanks again Ron, well they do seem to help in stopping this truck quickly. I had to panic stop the other day on the road in town as the guy in front of me just stopped without much warning, and when I hit the brakes, everything in my truck decided it wanted to be closer to the front windshield! The brakes did not lock up (ABS) and I really didn't feel much shudder when I nailed the pedal too. So it kept me from having to mod my front bumper, grill and fenders (along with the guy in front of me). I did need a change of underwear though

Oh and don't look at what I am doing now, but if you really want to see check out these two posts I did this weekend
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f2/d...lights-209410/
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f2/s...-panel-209588/

Last edited by Ritzy4Runner; 04-19-2010 at 06:46 AM.
Old 04-19-2010, 05:39 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2nd linkie no go but stop- you are killing me my friend!
Old 06-09-2010, 04:39 AM

This is a great write up, very thorough and lots of pretty pictures

Once I've saved enough for the parts, I'm gonna tackle this job myself. Glad to see that it's simple enough for someone with no brake experience to do, that was probably my biggest concern.

EDIT: If anybody is looking for the parts, I found OEM comparable Brembo rotors for less than $60 a pop with free shipping here

Last edited by gdutch; 06-09-2010 at 04:48 AM.
Old 08-13-2010, 10:24 PM

Great write up. If I could find a wrecked Tundra, I would lift that stuff off it in a heart beat and do this. Great price.
Old 08-14-2010, 05:28 AM

I just installed Tundra calipers on my '96 4Runner yesterday. Found a set of 199mm units over on tundrasolutions.com for $75 shipped. I used Brembo rotors, PBR Metal Master pads & ATE Super Blue fluid. Cost me around $250 for everything. Well worth the time & effort, IMHO.
Old 08-14-2010, 07:09 AM

has anyone returned the 4runner calipers for a refund of the core charge to rockauto, or any online place that sells the raybestos calipers?
Old 08-16-2010, 11:59 AM

will the 2007 tundra brakes fit on my 1998 4runner, i have 20 rims but will it even bolt on?
Old 09-29-2010, 07:57 PM

Thanks for the write-up.

Thinking about picking up a used set of calipers as well.
Old 11-01-2010, 10:47 AM

Great write up. I need to get the front brakes done on my 4runner so I am just going to invest into this mod instead of getting the stock breaks replaced.
Old 10-12-2011, 11:26 AM

nice write up.

a must do upgrade
Old 01-10-2012, 08:19 AM

2012 Up Date

Well it has now been almost 5 years since I did this upgrade. I had to preplace the pads in 2010 as I did use the OEM pads that I took off the donor truck when I did this mod (I mentioned that when I did the original mod) The rotors were still well within specifications and did not appear to need to be turned, still smooth and straight. I replaced the pads with NAPA Adaptive One which are a hybrid ceramic pads. The gr8 thing about these pads is they are designed for location on the inside or outside of the caliper (inner/outer). I had to panic stop again the other day and it saved me from t-bone accident when some cell phone yaking bimbo who rolled right through a stop sign Needless to say I was really glad I had that Tundra upgrade. I have pulled a light weight trailer this past summer and I also did not feel any fade or drag from my Tundra upgraded brakes. So, between the Tundra rotor/calipers and the Adaptive One pads I could not be happier
Old 01-22-2012, 10:42 AM

Will this upgrade fit on 15 inch setup?

Hello,

I have searched for days on whether or not I can just get the calipers, rotors and pads for this upgrade or if I will need to change the dust shield, caliper bracket or any other parts to ensure the upgrade fits. All write ups reference 4Runners with 16 wheels as stock (usually Limited 4Runner models).

I have a 97 SR5 with 15 inch wheels. I just upgraded my tires to 265/65/17 and was wanting to do the Tundra brake upgrade and figure that the 231mm calipers should fit. Is anyone aware if I can just get the fully loaded tundra calipers or do I need more to have this work?

Thanks
Old 01-22-2012, 11:33 AM

Not very many SR5 3rd gen 4runners came with 15 inch wheels but it is possible. If you are upgrading your wheels to 17 inch wheels I don't think you will have any issues with the Tundra upgrade even to the 231 calipers. I do know that on my upgrade as well as others I have read about here that you will need to do a dust shield modification which is very minor. Read through my write up and I describe what I had to do. But once again I do not have personal experience with going from 15 inch OEM wheels to tthe Tundra upgrade. I know tha stock wheels will not work on the Tundra pgrade there just isn't enough room but if you wen to 17 inch wheels then they should clear just fine. If anyone else has knowledge please chime in. One last question for you Armyflight, what size motor does your 4runner have? Is it the 2.7 4 cylinger/manual tranny or ado you have a 3.4 v-6? Good luck
Old 02-11-2012, 06:25 PM

Here is the URL for the pictures of the 4Runner big brake kit I did after reading your post. Its working perfectly. I ended up adding Tundra Wheels

http://pix.kg/p/112931849408%3A1026269016/scl

Check it out...

I ordered the Loaded Caliper (Loaded comes with caliper, pads, and shims already assembled) and Rotors for the 2003 Tundra. The part numbers were RC11549 (Reybestos), RC11550 (Reybestos), and P96931 (Brembo Rotors). I also ordered the Tundra Bolts 90080-10298 from Toyota (four of them) for 1.63 each. I paid 111.95 for each loaded caliper and 38.93 for each Rotor. About 375.00 got me the upgrade, plus the set of wheels from the Tundra.

You will notice there are no balancing weights on the new wheels. Dyna Beads were installed, and they work perfectly. Drove from Michigan to Maryland, and no vibration! www.innovativebalancing.com

Last edited by Jakemir; 02-11-2012 at 07:07 PM.
Old 02-23-2012, 08:51 AM

this is something i need to do this summer.......
Old 02-23-2012, 09:43 AM

Received 121 Likes on 78 Posts
Did this last year on my '99. Nice to not have shuddery brakes.

I have 16" TRD Taco snowflake wheels, no clearance issues on the larger calipers. Only 'mod' that made this not a 100% bolt on involved taking an angle grinder to the dust shield and lopping off a tiny bit of metal.
Old 02-23-2012, 04:39 PM

The 4th Gen 4Runner's have disk brakes in the rear... and I'm almost 80% sure they use a cable parking brake. Has anyone tried to see if they will work on our rear axle? And can anyone verify that they have the cable for the parking brake? If so I'm def having that mod done while I'm getting my SAS done soon

Quick Reply: '01 Tundra Brakes installed on '98 Gen 3 4Runner