Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

00' Tacoma xtracab leans to the passenger side...

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2010, 03:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
00' Tacoma xtracab leans to the passenger side...

I've been prepping my '00 Tacoma for a cross-country trip - new water pump, fuel filter, spark plugs, tires, changed differential and transmission fluids to Red Line, etc. Today I noticed while the truck was on even ground that it leans slightly but noticeably toward the passenger side. I'm thinking it might be that I need shocks as they have never been changed in the 160,000 miles I've owned the truck (since new).

The truck has never been used to haul heavy loads in the bed...in fact the bed is like new and has had a cap on it since the first week I owned the truck.

Do I need shocks? If so which shocks should I consider putting into a daily-driver with almost all highway use?

Thanks to all for an amazing forum!!!!

Best,

Michael
Old 07-16-2010, 09:04 AM

I would have someone of equal weight to you sit in the passenger seat, then look at it. My 4runner has a slight lean to the side but if theres people in it, it will settle out.

Unless it is a drastic lean you may need some new springs as they would wear more then shocks.
Old 07-16-2010, 10:11 AM

Hi and thanks sportrunner. I just took the truck to a spring shop here - they looked at the rear springs and there is no problem. Which is a relief. I may pop for a new set of shocks since the shocks in the truck are the originals and 10 years old with 160k on them. But they seem to handle just fine so...?

I smiled as I read your response...this is one of those trucks that almost nobody sits in the passenger seat...I do nearly 100% of my driving alone. I will look around to see if someone will sit in it but since the truck does have a slight lean to that side wouldn't it lean even more if someone were sitting on that side?

Again, thanks for your thoughts.

Best,

Michael
Old 07-16-2010, 10:40 AM

Received 84 Likes on 56 Posts
Are you the original owner? Has it been off roaded at all?

Tacomas are extremely weak for some reason around the rear passenger side cab mount. They all seem to crunch in about a 1/4" if they are even slightly off roaded.

Might want to look underneath the rear cab mount on the passenger side and check just to be sure.
Old 07-16-2010, 10:53 AM

Originally Posted by streetshot
Hi and thanks sportrunner. I just took the truck to a spring shop here - they looked at the rear springs and there is no problem. Which is a relief. I may pop for a new set of shocks since the shocks in the truck are the originals and 10 years old with 160k on them. But they seem to handle just fine so...?

I smiled as I read your response...this is one of those trucks that almost nobody sits in the passenger seat...I do nearly 100% of my driving alone. I will look around to see if someone will sit in it but since the truck does have a slight lean to that side wouldn't it lean even more if someone were sitting on that side?

Again, thanks for your thoughts.

Best,

Michael
No problem.

It would but then there would be a reason for it. I mean have someone sit on the driver side or put something heavy there and look at it.

If it isn't too much it shouldn't be a huge deal. mostly you see cars lean when a larger person gets in. I wouldn't worry too much about it. and if it really bugs you then you can get a lift. Win-Win
Old 07-16-2010, 11:06 AM
Contributing Member

You're certainly not going to hurt anything by getting new shocks - 160k is a LOT of miles for shocks.

Sounds like you're doing all the right stuff for your trip - very smart.
I'd also be sure to pick up a few quarts of the essential/common fluids too - I always just toss them in a Rubbermaid bin and throw it in the back for any long trips I take.

Fink
Old 07-16-2010, 11:06 AM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
Have you owned it since new? I looked at a truck that had a noticeable lean once, when the individual came out to show the truck, size explained the lean

I don't think shocks will help raise a truck unless they are coilovers or airshocks.

Level surface when looking at the truck?
Definitely check out PismoJoe's point about the body mount...
Old 07-16-2010, 11:08 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by ocdropzone
I don't think shocks will help raise a truck unless they are coilovers or airshocks.

Definitely check out PismoJoe's point about the body mount...
I meant to touch on these two points in my post.

Fink
Old 07-16-2010, 02:38 PM

Received 120 Likes on 59 Posts
Leaning to the passenger side? That's odd. The Tacomas have Taco Lean which is a lean to the drivers side. This lean is cause by the weight of the following items all on the drivers side : Driver, Gas tank, Battery, Front transfer-case drop, front drive shaft, and front diff.

Shocks are not load bearing. Thus, a the lean is not telling us you need shocks.

If your suspension is OEM original both the coils and leaf springs are most likely worn. Even with my lifted aftermarket suspension I still get taco lean.
EDIT: Check for broken leaf springs.

You can get some toytec or Allpro-Offroad adjustable front coilovers and crank the side thats leaning up, though. Even it out and get a better ride at the same time.. whats not to like..?