86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

Z's Confederate Toy's 1987 Pickup Build-Up Thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2010, 10:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by kayakken
I got a case of them just in case things go bad

2012 ya know

I will get all kinds of toy parts for 2 bottles of water and gallons of gas for a mre

but to stay on topic what are you doing next on your truck
Ken
We have like 5 or 6 cases, my dad picked them up for like 25 each bucks at the gun show.

I ditched the front valance, under the bumper, yesterday. It was all bent up and rubbing the tires, it looks better any way. Up next is a heater blower motor, CB install, maybe some bucket seats (I have some APC's in Black). I am also looking at doing a Weber conversion, and I just ordered EGR blockoff plates. There will be a new windshield in there soon too!

Last edited by Z's Confederate Toy; 03-24-2010 at 10:55 AM.
Old 03-24-2010, 02:30 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
looks good man!!! but just wondering why the dana 30??? it seems very uncommon. lol
Old 03-24-2010, 02:41 PM

Well, since my dad is a Ford Bronco guy, we naturally have extra parts lyin around. He suggested it because it is a coil spring axle instead of a leaf spring, it is free, but it isn't a finalized quite yet. I am still contemplating using the Toyota solid.
Old 03-24-2010, 05:28 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
oh gotcha. my dads yj has one and it seems like a tough lil axle. i wonder if their stronger than toy axles. but also aint the lowest gears you can fit in a dana 30 4.88's??? or is that just jeeps
Old 03-24-2010, 07:11 PM

Originally Posted by BackGateYota92
oh gotcha. my dads yj has one and it seems like a tough lil axle. i wonder if their stronger than toy axles. but also aint the lowest gears you can fit in a dana 30 4.88's??? or is that just jeeps
5.38's are available for this aplication. Those gears are for CJ's, 66-70 Broncos, and 67-74 Scouts. I got this info from Randy's Ring and Pinion. I'm torn abut which axle I want to use though.
Old 03-24-2010, 07:17 PM

ive been wanting to do an SAS as well, but i still dont know whether i should go with full size axles or toy axles. lemme know what you do
Old 03-24-2010, 07:37 PM

Will do
Old 03-25-2010, 03:12 PM

Got the new blower motor today, installed it and we have heat!!! HAHA, kinda like a frenchman but not. Had my dad listen to the grinding noise and he said that it sounded like a wheel bearing in the passenger rear. Bummer dude. Im thinking about putting my APC's in tonight, we will see what I can do. One has a little damage to the bolster, it lays flat, instead of where it is suppodabe.
Old 03-25-2010, 03:18 PM

Probably a stupid question, but what are the APC's ?
Old 03-25-2010, 03:31 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
go with a yota axle, there beefier than a 30.

isnt the pumpkin on a 30 on the wrong side anyway?
Old 03-25-2010, 07:09 PM

Originally Posted by graduatedpine
Probably a stupid question, but what are the APC's ?
APCs are racing seats, set up for 4 pt harnesses. They came out of my dads Bronco when he put in his newly re-upholstered Recaros, the fabric is a little faded but they are pretty comfortable. They are high back and high bolster. I will be putting them in tomorrow.

The 30 is out of a Ford Bronco where the pumkin dumps out on the right side. I will prolly use the Toy 8" anyway.

Here is the Bronco

The current Bronco project

The other Brocs we got lyin around

Last edited by Z's Confederate Toy; 03-25-2010 at 07:38 PM.
Old 03-29-2010, 08:51 PM

Well, I didn't get the seats in the truck, I had to work the gun show over the weeken. Gotta pay the bills. Figured out the grinding noise is the rear brakes, the brake pedal moves in and out when depressed in unison with the grind. I think the e-brake is sticking. I am looking to get either some stock wheels or some slot wheels on it, i don't really like the ones on it.
Old 03-31-2010, 05:26 PM

Alrighty, I got the seats in today, along with the SAW can console. Here are some pics:

I also think I may hace figured out what the grinding noise is, not the brakes. The rear diffy was about 1.5 quarts low, looked watered down, and was pretty sludgy. I didn't check it before I drove it any where, I feel like a dumb a$$.
Old 03-31-2010, 08:10 PM

I'm pretty much undecided about what the grinding noise is. I drained the diffy and filled it up with all new lube, still grinding away. It still could be the brakes, the wheel bearings (since there wasn't any gear lube), or a combination of both. It's starting to frustrate me!!!!! I will be taking the brakes apart again tomorrow along with the removal of the axle shafts to check the bearings.

I may be switching to a newer Tacoma axle with an E-locker, if all is lost.
Old 04-03-2010, 10:04 PM

I worked on the rear axle today. The wheel bearings needed to be replaced. The first shatf pressed out just fine, the second is a whole other story. While I was attempting to press it out, the backing plate gave way and warped. I told me da that it folded like a taco. It warped pretty bad, I've no pics of that though. After pressing those out I checked the play of the pinion. All I have to say is Holy S***!!!!!! about a 1/4 inch of play from side to side. That is the product of no gear lube. I am dissapointed in the previous owner. He did not take care of this truck. I also installed my CB and fixed my tailgate. The tailgate just needed to be greased. The CB is not wired yet, I still have to get the antennas.

This is the worn out side, you can see the shaft lean

This is YOTA JIMS (the local toyota truck and 4runner yard) current sticker

The CB mount

The CB is in!

The Mic. hanger

Old 04-04-2010, 07:58 PM

Pulled the diffy out today, not a damn thing wrong. Looks a little worn but nothing to horrible. I am going to wait on the locker for now, but it is definitly on the build list. I have just got to get it back on the road, I need to leave this godforsaken mountain!!!! I will prolly have it back on the road tomorrow. The next thing on my list is to add the two 102 inch stainless whips, and the roll bar. This weekend I will be in Tulsa for a gun show and will be picking up some Mini Gun cans to hold my tire chains, tools, straps, and whatever else I can fit in them.
Old 04-04-2010, 08:11 PM

nice man. tha cb doesnt get in the way at all?
Old 04-04-2010, 08:53 PM

Nah, there is like 1/4 inch between the door and the mount, and there is plenty of room between my legs and the bottom of the CB.I checked lots of places and that seemed like the best place for it.
Old 04-04-2010, 09:19 PM

oh nice.

heres what i did with mine, i think its a little wider than yours though...

Old 04-04-2010, 10:12 PM

Awesome, it looks like it belongs there. I was going to put it there but I like the cubby for my iPOD holder when its plugged into the deck.

Quick Reply: Z's Confederate Toy's 1987 Pickup Build-Up Thread