86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

Whitelightinin's 87 4runner Build Up

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2013, 11:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Gizler00
I think thats a good price for the liner material.

As far as taping off. I usually use green painters masking tape and Old newspaper or plastic. For the threaded holes, you could use the golf tees, silicone tips from thread locker tubes, masking tape sticky side out. But whatever you use, you need to pull them out right after spraying.

I think the color will be just like spraying in black. It might look a little thin and transparent until you get another coat on top.

Cant wait to see some pics.
Awesome thanks for your help. What do you think about al's for the basket. I thought this would be a good protector and wouldn't be too much more than paint. Plus the dring wouldn't rattle as much. I was thinking of maybe rolling this on to save some bed liner since the bars are smaller.
Let me know if you think this would be a good idea.

Thanks again
Old 05-09-2013, 10:55 PM

First Generation 4runner cargo Panels.

I'm waiting a to get the basket welded, so now i am working on getting some metal cargo panels made. I am planning on doing the tailgate, sides, and back of seats. Similar to Stanz's 1986 4Runner. Here is his build up. https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f199...runner-252537/

I grabbed some steel sheet metal. I'm not sure the gage. I got it a tripple s steel in Salt Lake City and it was in there surplus, so it was $18 for about 72 by 48 sheet. This seemed better than doing it the aluminum tread plating, which was going to be about $80, which i think was a decent price.

I've started cutting out some cardboard as a pattern.

I think i will try and cut it with a angle grinder or maybe some metal snips. Also i got the metal plates for the basket cut. I used an angle grinder and it went really well.

I want to be able to screw the panels in, so i am still looking for a way to do that. I think i will be able to get something at the hardware store. I will bed line them with some al's so that it will match the floor of the 4runner. I was thinking of lining both sides of them so that it is really quiet. But i might just put in some foam or rubber on the places that would rub. Let me know if you have ideas on quieting it down.

I also want to replace the cargo light. I was hoping to put a good led back there. If any ideas on this or how to do it with the wires, let me know.
Old 05-20-2013, 11:13 AM

Well i got the support welded on for the cargo rack. The problem is that the plates attached to the 4runner bend a little so it would rock back and forth. SO i am going to need to put a brace in it to prevent the bending. I have some photos of what the supports look like and photos of what the bike mounts will look like.