86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

Terrys87 88 4Runner Restoration/Build thread

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2011, 07:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't think there is much you can do with the top other than wash it really good due to the texture on the surface. Man I kinda wish I would have just went back red with mine to late now tho.
Old 04-19-2011, 07:53 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
lol...I would like to go red with mine. But all of my trucks are red except this one and of course it has a red interior. When I first took this to work, my boss asked what color I was going to paint this one.. Red?? I have done 3 trucks and they were red.

White is starting to grow on me. I would like blue or green, but I dont want to change interior or doing the jams.
Old 04-19-2011, 08:15 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

If the weather holds out, I will be taking a 3 day weekend and going to go camping and fishing. I would like to use this truck to go, but I dont feel it is road worthy just yet. I just got it running and am wanting to get to look good on the outside.

The town has been cracking down on cars not running and I have a couple of neighbors that are retired and have turned others in. They know I will get it done, so they cut me some slack.

Generally, you get one road ready then do the exterior. I still havent gone through the brakes, drive train, fluids, and such, but since this isnt my daily driver and is a project, I am trying to keep the peace.

I am going to use the 91 extended cab I did for my wife. She is going to pull the boat and says she is nervous about pulling it. She used to pull a pop up camper, but we traded for another camper, so I will pull it and she pulls the boat.

Rob.. if the weather stays nice, I might have a carnage report on the boat. lol
Old 04-19-2011, 08:58 AM

I'm not a big fan of red but man there's a lot on mine that has to turn yellow LOL. Have a great time on your camping trip
Old 04-19-2011, 01:25 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
have fun on the trip hope everything goes well.

as for the top i would ask swimmerboy2112, i know he is planning on painting his white top black.
Old 04-19-2011, 04:54 PM

Just a though on your stripes, why not check with a sign shop and do them in vynol I can't spell but just a thought
Old 04-20-2011, 02:33 AM
YotaTech Milestone-Two Millionth Post

Received 122 Likes on 57 Posts
Originally Posted by Terrys87
Jason.. I think you are right on leaving the blue on. I dont think paint ever really sticks as well as the factory and it wont be to deep since it is the orginal. Some of the dings went quick and others not so much. Looking forward to you getting home and making some progress.

Hello 92..It does take patience doing bodywork, it is something I found I enjoyed later in life, probably earlier in life, I wouldnt have had the patience. I hear you one the one bite. I still have several bites to go. But I like to look at each step as an accomplishment to getting this done.

When it is all done, I can say it something I got to make instead of buying. I tried that route and the payments last alot longer then intial joy. If you look at my album, you will see some others I have done. They were in rough shape.

How many miles you got since you done your rebuild? You still have a couple of years for Joe to get his license. Take it easy and keep it fun when you have the time. Those teenage years down the road can be a little rough and maybe this can help bridge the gap then. You know how to put a sense of humor in your builds.

Hey Twisted.. I seen you got it running yesterday. I will be checking in later again today.I like the factory stripes yours has. I would like to come up with something to set mine off a little. I am going back to white as I dont want to paint door jams and under the hood.

thanks man....yeh....I like to keep it a little comical if I can.

about 10 thousand miles or less so far....will be 1 year on May 20th.....really the only issues have been some leaking oil from where I smooshed the FIPG putting the oil pan back on......the amount of work involved in fixing that is a lot more than putting up with a few drops of oil a day. the other issue is that I re-used the 3 nuts that hold the exhaust manifold to the down pipe....apparently not intended to be re-used...so they loosen up and cause a leak.....I have 3 new ones sitting on the mantle of the fireplace......just too lazy to put them on.

as far as Joe's build, still more school-work than free time as well as I have now switched things around at work via a promotion and things are a bit sketchy right now as far as my schedule....in fact, going in for a few hours today to do "administrative" type stuff (today is my day off)....the trade-off is more money per hour and eventually every weekend off (I've been every other weekend for over 20 years). so the dust will settle in a little bit here and hopefully (today maybe) we will dig into his motor again....stay tuned.

Originally Posted by jason in tn
Just a though on your stripes, why not check with a sign shop and do them in vynol I can't spell but just a thought

if you are looking for stripes, do a search on EBAY....we found some a while back. but the first place I would look is www.jamesdeancreations.com he has some good stuff and is a member on here as well.

I fell in love with BAR-B-Q Grill paint (I believe it's RUSTOLEUM stuff) and intend on using that on Joe's top. it is a satin black and have used it on many interior parts so far. only prep work I intend is some light sanding.

Last edited by 92 TOY; 04-20-2011 at 02:36 AM.
Old 04-21-2011, 04:03 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

I was over seas from May '09 to September '10, so while I was away, I would order parts for my old project. The wife was putting them in the storage shed and today I was cleaning it out and found a few parts that would work on this one.

Had to get professional help on this one. The lower valance.
Name:  Professonalhelp.jpg
Views: 1511
Size:  17.0 KB

Got a new heater face plate in.
Name:  Newclock.jpg
Views: 1508
Size:  14.9 KB

Last edited by Terrys87; 04-21-2011 at 04:07 PM.
Old 04-21-2011, 04:12 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Hello Jason and 92.
I am following up on your suggestions. I found that we have 2 shops that do stripes. One does the towns police cars and they are very in depth.

I have found some on ebay.

Still trying to figure out what I would like to put on. I want something that would look stock, but set it apart.

Thanks for the suggestions. Those two places just didnt cross my mind. Thanks again.
Old 04-21-2011, 04:19 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

I am saving my funds for us to spend quite a bit of time at the lake and do family things this summer. We havent been camping or fishing in 2 years, so funds are going to those projects. We got rain today and will for the next week. Supposed to get 4-8 inches from now til next Wednesday. So it put a stop on the lake.

So I have decided to keep moving with this project and since wheels are out of the question for a while, I am going to get these rims looking as new as possible. Here is one wheel that I started on and it wasnt much better before I started. Just out a little sand paper.
Name:  Oldrim.jpg
Views: 1499
Size:  16.5 KB

I will get an after picture when done.

Last edited by Terrys87; 04-21-2011 at 04:21 PM.
Old 04-21-2011, 04:27 PM
YotaTech Milestone-Two Millionth Post

Received 122 Likes on 57 Posts
my opinion on the stripes.....becuz we had this conversation already w/ Joe.....if we were doing a perfect restoration......maybe we would get them......that's about it. not worth the expense in my opinion since i recall them being over $200.

wow on the being away so long....you military???......no matter, bless you for being able to do it. I am made of lesser stuff than you and would have a tough time.

do some decent prep work on those wheels and give them some new color and you should be good for a while
Old 04-21-2011, 05:28 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
damn wish i lived closer id love to have tht old heater control face. i like the look of those more then the red and bule by-level ones.
Old 04-21-2011, 06:03 PM

Sorry about the trip Terry. Haven't been fishing in years or hunting or wheelin wth LOL. Alittle paint on those wheels and they will look sharp, I just sold the chrome. Ones I had on mine for years. Good luck and keep at it Terry.
Old 04-22-2011, 03:19 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Went to add some pics and got logged off. Found some other parts that I had for this truck motorwise, it was a previous project. I still have some motor parts and interior parts left over. I ever go to do a 89-94 truck, I got plenty of parts.

Last edited by Terrys87; 04-24-2011 at 03:01 AM.
Old 04-22-2011, 03:20 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

After checking into the prices for the stripes, they will have to wait. Ebay is too much for them. One of the shops here in town is more resonable. Might try and paint them on or something.
Old 04-22-2011, 03:29 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Jason.. I would actually like to have chrome ones, you really dont see that many from the factory. But I think a nice silver, factory color would work. I think they will turn out really good for now.

Hope you get home for Easter.
Old 04-22-2011, 07:45 PM

thanks terry, not gonna make it home this weekend maybe next. Nothing like the time you spent away. I'm working this weekend but the plus is I'm doing a favor for mark (chef)out in Cal, look foward to meeting him.anyway hope you have a great weekend what ever you do.
Old 04-24-2011, 03:11 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Hello Jason.. Glad you will get to meet Chef. His truck is giving me a goal to shoot for on mine. It is a nice truck. I still have a ways to go to get there.

Maybe you can be home on the next holiday. I can only imagine the cost of fuel from Tennessee to Cali. Traveling is a luxury now at the cost of fuel.

Im still looking into steps needed for painting the top. I have never painted fiberglass, and since we got rained out of our trip, we might be able to get this truck painted in the next week or so.

Just started removing stripes and the glue that held the factory stripes on.
Old 04-24-2011, 04:11 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Didnt get to the lake and been getting a lot of rain, so I decided to pull the tires off and work in the shop. I did the back two and touched one that wasnt dry yet and the time it took me to get the smudge out , I probably could of done 10 rims.

I would like to be able to slap down $500-1000 and have new rims and tires, but not right now. I will eventually get some new tires and rims but making due with what you got helps speed things along and getting it on the road is what I am going for.

Didnt mess with it for a couple of days but did get to do some more sanding on it, and removing some more stripes.

Here is one in primer and the center cap, I just wire bushed it and painted it.

Name:  Primedwheel.jpg
Views: 1502
Size:  14.9 KB

Here are the 2 that are done. I spent alot of time working out the smudged one, but it turned out great.

Name:  10Rims.jpg
Views: 1487
Size:  12.9 KB
Old 04-24-2011, 10:16 AM

man those wheels look great, just like new. you might have all ready but Im sure slacker could point you in the rite direction on the top. and Im realy looking foward to meeting mark in person, nice to be able to help someone out.

Quick Reply: Terrys87 88 4Runner Restoration/Build thread