86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

spikeophant's 1986 4Runner Build-Up Thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2011, 08:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
spikeophant's 1986 4Runner Build-Up Thread

I just bought my first Toyota, fiancee has a lifted 88 Toyota pickup, and after driving it decided I had to have something as well, so I picked up a 4runner. Perfect for our small family to take wheeling and all be in one rig. Not sure what all I'm going to do to it, but I think with how inexpensive engine parts are, I usually build 70's mopars, I think I'll build an engine for it first, or at least toss a cam in, and do a header. Any tips or suggestions are greatly appreciated, this is my first Toyota, and I'm just begining to research the 22RE.

Here's a pic on my way home from picking it up this past weekend, as well as one at our house, with the pickup.

Old 03-24-2011, 08:48 PM

thats a clean runner,theres tons of good info on this site,its just a little hard to find in my opinion.members have told me to search using google and keyword yotatech.im new to yotatech as well but it just takes time in your searching.bleederdudes build up thread is pretty good with a lot of pics if your computer is fast.i am doing my first engine build of a 22re soon so if you have any specific questions feel free to ask,i may be a little further in my research than you are but still a lot left to do.
Old 03-24-2011, 08:56 PM

Thanks man, I'll be sure to pester you with questions if I can't find info. I'm probably going to adjust the valves tomorrow, it sounds like a diesel at idle, and drives me nuts. After that I need to fix my drivers side window too, the regulator is shot, so I'll have to toss a new one in, I have a feeling I'll be spending a lot of time in the junkyards.

I lucked out on getting it, the lady I got it from needed to sell it to pay off another car, so it was a steal for the shape it's in. I'd love to do a suspension lift, but I think that's out of my budget for a while. Just sold my Camaro, so I'm going to use that money to make this thing fun for the summer, getting a bikini top for sure!
Old 03-24-2011, 09:19 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
good luck
Old 03-25-2011, 06:32 AM

mine sounds like a diesel as well,you need to check the clearances with it at normal operating temp.But on the other hand the 22r has a distinctive click to it anyway,its somewhat normal.I considered hitting my valve cover with lizard skin(sound deadening coating) but I have 3 older vehicles and it depends which one needs attention at the moment,its always one or another.My advice is just take it out in the woods and have a good time get your projects done in the winter in the garage,sucks having your rig laid up during camping season.
Old 03-25-2011, 04:25 PM

Didn't get a chance to do the valves today, weather has been crappy, and the garage has the fiancee's Porsche project in it right now, it's close, got the last piece today, so maybe I can finish it with her tomorrow, and get the runner in there. If nothing else, next week we're supposed to get decent weather, so I can work outside then.
Old 03-27-2011, 10:25 AM

Next project is to fix the shake in my steering wheel, valves seem okay, I had a buddy that's had a 22RE listen, and he said it sounds normal, just not used to the chatter these things put out.

Had a friend ride with me and look out the pass. side window, and he saw a slight wobble to that wheel, so I'll be pulling the right side apart this week, weathers supposed to warm up, and see if anything is amiss in there. If not, I'll take the wheel in and have it checked for trueness.

Anyone got any suggestions on what to look for once I have it apart?
Old 03-27-2011, 07:51 PM

chck the ball joint on that side.they have zirks which i just found out,maybe it was neglected?
Old 03-28-2011, 01:52 PM

Good idea, I'll grease the whole suspension in it today, see if it feels any better.
Old 03-29-2011, 05:21 AM

Didn't feel any better after greasing. Had a friend with me today who said it almost feels as though there's a clunking on every tire rotation., was thinking maybe it's CV's, but I'm not sure those would be spinning with the hubs unlocked. Maybe a wheel bearing?
Old 03-29-2011, 06:48 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Both look like nice trucks. Welcome to Yotatech. I think you will like the site and trucks. Lots of good info on here. looking forward to seeing yor progress.
Old 03-29-2011, 03:30 PM

Thanks, we love our Yota's and have already found lots of good info and help on here!
Old 03-30-2011, 01:54 PM

Rotated the tires today and found one of my calipers has a leaky piston seal, so I've found my first project. I also noticed on the front right side, one of the bolts that holds the top piece on the hub, the piece with the part you turn to lock/unlock, has one bolt broken off down in it. The rest are torqued to spec, should I be worried about anything breaking if I take it wheeling, or is that something I can tackle at a later date?
Old 03-30-2011, 09:00 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
no you shouldnt have any problems, tht is 1 out of 6 tht hold it on. the only thing tht would happen if the other 5 broke or came undone would be the hub wouldnt be able to lock.
Old 04-06-2011, 01:06 PM

Took the Runner out for it's first real wheeling trip and decided I need bigger tires and a lift at some point, I was only able to get through snow a bit over a foot deep, and around here in the winter/spring that's pretty common up in the mountains. I knew with 30" tires I wouldn't make it through much snow, but I was pretty impressed, the whole truck was bottoming out on the snow, and it was still moving through it. I think I want to put a 2-3" lift and 33" tires on it.

Other than that, header, exhaust, tube front/rear bumpers, and a canvas full or bikini top are about all I have planned now.
Old 04-06-2011, 01:21 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Welcome to Yotatech, feel free to ask me about stuff if need be (some members on here don't like to be bothered but i don't mind), i will answer what i can.
Old 04-29-2011, 04:52 PM

Well, did some work today, brakes all the way around and a new right caliper, NGK V-Power Type R plugs, 8mm plug wires, and an oil and filter. Put a wix filter and running Torco TR-1 10w-40 in it now. Been reading up on new API specs for oil, and since those new formulations may be detrimental to our older cams, decided to go with something with ZDDP additives in it for maximum protection. This Torco oil quieted my valvetrain down a ton too.

Hopefully soon I can get to the lift and tires, but the brakes needed done badly. With the money I spent today, I could have put a header on it, maybe that will be next weekends project.

Last edited by spikeophant; 04-29-2011 at 04:53 PM.
Old 04-29-2011, 04:55 PM

Thats one sweet looking runner cant wait to see what your going to do with her.
Old 05-01-2011, 02:11 PM

lookin good, get some pics up. we like pics
Old 05-02-2011, 07:56 AM

Next time I start a project on it I'll be sure to have my camera out there!

Quick Reply: spikeophant's 1986 4Runner Build-Up Thread