YotaTech Forums

YotaTech Forums (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/)
-   86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f199/)
-   -   Spacemonkee23's 87 4Runner SR5 (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f199/spacemonkee23s-87-4runner-sr5-294625/)

Spacemonkee23 04-19-2016 01:18 PM

Spacemonkee23's 87 4Runner SR5 *Pic Heavy*

6 Attachment(s)
Hey everyone,

Im new here, Just picked up this 87 SR5 Runner. Not my first truck and not my first Yota. However, this is my first 4runner and 22RE.

Been using this forum to get this project DD & camping worthy and reading up to learn more about this truck. Always wanted one, finally pulled the trigger.

Currently it has a few issues but mostly in pretty good mechanical shape. So far I've mostly done tune up stuff and basic "new purchase assessment" related fixes, as it sat for about a couple years.

Once its running the way I like it to I'll start working on the fun stuff. Basically a Daily Driven weekend warrior camping setup for the fam and I.

If anyone can help me on my check engine light issue (CA Smog failure, ugh) its flasing a Code 4 for the Coolant Temp Sensor, already replaced the sensor, green plug sensor next to the cold start injector sensor, but it still is throwing the code so it must be in the wiring or the ECU. Just did a coolant flush and cleaned up all the other coolant sensors while I was at it.

Thanks for checking it out.
4/14/16
Attachment 210031

Attachment 210032
2/20/17
Attachment 210033
8/6/17
Attachment 210034
5/25/18
Attachment 210035
4/16/2019
Attachment 210036

chbarnha 04-19-2016 02:29 PM

Looks like it is in pretty good shape overall, and I love the look of the stock sr5 rims

Spacemonkee23 04-20-2016 07:20 AM

Originally Posted by chbarnha (Post 52318055)
Looks like it is in pretty good shape overall, and I love the look of the stock sr5 rims

Yeah, its in decent shape overall. body has a few blemishes but nothing extreme, no major rust! A little surface rust but that's all.

I love these wheels too, just need to find one more before I get new tires.

rustED 04-20-2016 11:57 AM

Welcome to Yotatech, nice find! Looks like it's in great shape. I like the SR5 wheels too, I just bought 5 of them awhile back, just need to pick up another matching tire for a spare. Look forward to seeing your progress on the build!

Spacemonkee23 04-20-2016 12:20 PM

Originally Posted by rustED (Post 52318244)
Welcome to Yotatech, nice find! Looks like it's in great shape. I like the SR5 wheels too, I just bought 5 of them awhile back, just need to pick up another matching tire for a spare. Look forward to seeing your progress on the build!

Thanks rustED, glad to be here. I've already been on the lookout for one. A couple of guys selling sets of 4 on CL but I really only need the one and I doubt they will split 'em up.

Progress will be slow but hopefully steady.

punks_is_4x4 04-20-2016 01:59 PM

Did u check the sensor on top of the thermostat housing ?

Spacemonkee23 04-21-2016 12:56 AM

Originally Posted by punks_is_4x4 (Post 52318257)
Did u check the sensor on top of the thermostat housing ?

The wire was pulled out of the connector on that sensor when I got it. I soldered it back together on the first day. I thought this was a shut off for AC overheat? Would that throw the code? I cleaned all of the sensors up when I did the coolant flush. Haven't tested it though. Maybe I'll give that a shot.

punks_is_4x4 04-21-2016 12:16 PM

I used to get a code 4 as well and i got a new se sensor and spliced in a new wire and the code went away I think that the tps is connected to the same sensor tho as well as the cst cold start and the temp sensor so check all of them and make sure they test good there's tests for them online

Spacemonkee23 04-22-2016 08:41 AM

Originally Posted by punks_is_4x4 (Post 52318395)
I used to get a code 4 as well and i got a new se sensor and spliced in a new wire and the code went away I think that the tps is connected to the same sensor tho as well as the cst cold start and the temp sensor so check all of them and make sure they test good there's tests for them online

Thanks I'll have to check these after the weekend. Heading out of town for a business trip. I get to judge a classic car show for one of our magazines (Drive Magazine), should be awesome! If anyone will be near Half Moon Bay this weekend come check it out. Pacific Coast Dream Machine show in Northern California.

Thanks for the tips, punk.

Have a great weekend everyone!

Spacemonkee23 04-26-2016 01:51 PM

Was out at Half Moon Bay this weekend judging the Pacific Coast Dream Machine car show for Drive Magazine. Met up with a few other first gen owners and even got another SR5 wheel while I was there. Thanks, Duane! Just need to get new tires and build rear a swing out.

92ehatch 04-26-2016 05:21 PM

I thought the coolant temp sensor for the ecu was on the front side of the intake rather than the top of the housing.

I thought that was the gauge sensor.

Spacemonkee23 04-26-2016 08:37 PM

Originally Posted by 92ehatch (Post 52319127)
I thought the coolant temp sensor for the ecu was on the front side of the intake rather than the top of the housing.

I thought that was the gauge sensor.

There are 4 in mine, two horizontal (CSI sensor-brown plug, ECU sensor-green plug_replaced) and two vertical (A/C overheat - single wire in the thermostat housing, gauge sensor - single wire in between cyl 3&4). At least that's what I've found researching.
All have checked out within spec. Next step is to check wiring and inspect ECU

punks_is_4x4 04-26-2016 08:47 PM

So if yr still getting code 4 I would again get the tps taken off and probably just get a new denso one for your year of truck if you read through my build I fought with mine for awhile and my temp sensors and it ended up just being the tps

Spacemonkee23 04-26-2016 09:15 PM

Originally Posted by punks_is_4x4 (Post 52319148)
So if yr still getting code 4 I would again get the tps taken off and probably just get a new denso one for your year of truck if you read through my build I fought with mine for awhile and my temp sensors and it ended up just being the tps

You are probably on the right track. Haven't had a chance to test the TPS But I did find the connector is broken. When I have time I'll pull the throttle body to clean it and swap the pigtail and TPS.
Thanks!

Spacemonkee23 05-02-2016 07:52 AM

I "passed" smog! The expression "by the skin of your teeth" is well fitting here. The max amount for HC is 131, and guess what it ran... 131! My check engine light issue was solved by wiring the charge light to the check engine light... shhh; Don't judge me. Now I need to actually fix the problem. At least I can do it without an inspection deadline. TPS is next on the list need to pick up a new connector for it also.

Spacemonkee23 05-09-2016 11:09 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Killed some time the other day by putting my PA/CB and (Temporary) "LONG THROW" tap handle shift knob. Haha
Attachment 209994
Attachment 209995

chbarnha 05-09-2016 07:25 PM

I like the tap handle. I have been looking for a Natty Boh one to put in mine. I wish my cb would fit right there, but at the hunt club they run on high and low frequencies which I couldn't find a small sized radio to fit underneath. Guess ill just have to go to the glovebox mount again.

Spacemonkee23 05-09-2016 07:47 PM

Originally Posted by chbarnha (Post 52320709)
I like the tap handle. I have been looking for a Natty Boh one to put in mine. I wish my cb would fit right there, but at the hunt club they run on high and low frequencies which I couldn't find a small sized radio to fit underneath. Guess ill just have to go to the glovebox mount again.

Thanks, it definitely needs a short shifter soon the extra height makes the sloppy shifter even worse.

The CB location is temporary until I get the center console plans set in motion.

chbarnha 05-09-2016 07:56 PM

could you drill out the tap handle to where it fit down on the shifter more? make it shorter that way maybe?

Spacemonkee23 05-09-2016 08:09 PM

Originally Posted by chbarnha (Post 52320717)
could you drill out the tap handle to where it fit down on the shifter more? make it shorter that way maybe?

It's a temporary setup. My buddy wanted me to do it. Prob won't last too long. There are other things I would rather spend time on. Need to adjust valves, front main seal needed, late model plenum swap to fix the cold start stumbles, retap exhaust studs in the head, etc.

I'll prob put more effort into the tap later down the road.