86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

rustED's 87' 4Runner Build

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2017, 03:14 AM

Received 69 Likes on 49 Posts
Sweet door panels! You're going to have an all metal interior soon!
and yea, still definitely interested in a tailgate
Old 09-13-2017, 05:38 AM

Received 184 Likes on 132 Posts
Ed - yep I'm here following along and yes I'm interested in the storage tailgate that we discussed. Sorry been busy with things, I had a pretty severe tranny input seal leak after coming back from NC that required my attention, and then of course hurricane Irma has really put a damper on things here in FL. Your new beadroller is sweet and your designs just keep getting cooler.
Old 09-13-2017, 05:42 AM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
Ed: Nicely Done!!
Old 09-13-2017, 09:31 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by magnet18
Sweet door panels! You're going to have an all metal interior soon!
and yea, still definitely interested in a tailgate
Thanks man! Thats funny when you said I'm going to have an all metal interior because mine is still completely gutted, lol! I had some door panels on there for about a week, then listed them on CL to see if there was any local interest and I ended up selling them the next day! I thought I had a pic posted of them when they were done, but went back and didn't see any...anyway here a pic of my door panels that I sold:
^^^Those were the first door panels i did, you can see the two deadend lines in the middle , they were suposed to make 90* turns and meet in the middle (like on the original panels, but my old machine was too small to finish the design)

^^^I think i like the full length door panels better. This design was a collaboration with a customer, the center will have a Navy crossing cannons design with 9mm shell casing inset and spaced symmetrically around the inside edge of the circle (his idea). Anyway, as soon as I finish the matching passenger side door panel I'll have some time to start working on Your's and Cory's tailgate panels, whenever your ready! Sorry for the delay.

Originally Posted by coryc85
Ed - yep I'm here following along and yes I'm interested in the storage tailgate that we discussed. Sorry been busy with things, I had a pretty severe tranny input seal leak after coming back from NC that required my attention, and then of course hurricane Irma has really put a damper on things here in FL. Your new beadroller is sweet and your designs just keep getting cooler.
Thanks Cory, no worries, I've been busy too. Let me know when your ready and we can work on the design details, I'll have to go back and re-read what we discussed earlier to refresh my memory, I'm gettin old, lol. Stay safe, I hope Irma finds a path around you and your family without to much damage or chaos!
Originally Posted by dropzone
Ed: Nicely Done!!
Thanks Robb!

Last edited by rustED; 09-13-2017 at 09:38 AM.
Old 10-21-2017, 02:00 AM

I finally got the center logo done and got these door panels shipped off^^^

^^^Here is another tailgate I did with the customers personal logo

^^^And here is another tailgate panel I did, this one I donated to Freedom High School's Auto shop class in Wisconsin. The students are building a 1st Gen 4 runner called "Project Front Runner" and they will be taking it to SEMA in a couple weeks, pretty cool!!! They are selling raffle tickets and will be giving away the 4runner in March 2018...all proceeds will go back to the schools auto shop program. Here is a link check it out!!!
Facebook Post
■■EDIT■■ For some reason I can't add a link to their FB page^^^ But if you're on Facebook just just search "Project Front Runner" and it will come up, defiantly worth looking at, wish I had a cool auto shop class like this when I was in high school!

Last edited by rustED; 10-21-2017 at 08:20 AM. Reason: broken link
Old 10-21-2017, 04:38 AM

Very sweet!
You're getting really good at that!
I still need to finish my vacuum former, it's half welded together in the garage, I just haven't had a second of free time the last couple months.

I wish I was going to SEMA!
I would buy a raffle ticket, but it looks like you have to pick them up in person
Old 10-21-2017, 06:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looks awesome Ed!
Old 10-21-2017, 06:49 PM

Originally Posted by magnet18
Very sweet!
You're getting really good at that!
I still need to finish my vacuum former, it's half welded together in the garage, I just haven't had a second of free time the last couple months.

I wish I was going to SEMA!
I would buy a raffle ticket, but it looks like you have to pick them up in person
Thanks man!...that vacuum former will be sweet when your done with it!
As far as buying the raffle tickets I got a hold of them, and they said check back on there FB page, they'll have a link set up with PayPal in a few days! Here's a pic of Project Front Runner for attention:

Originally Posted by nvwiggins
Looks awesome Ed!
Thanks buddy! How's that long travel suspension coming along?

Last edited by rustED; 10-21-2017 at 06:51 PM.
Old 10-22-2017, 04:47 AM

Originally Posted by rustED
Thanks man!...that vacuum former will be sweet when your done with it!
As far as buying the raffle tickets I got a hold of them, and they said check back on there FB page, they'll have a link set up with PayPal in a few days! Here's a pic of Project Front Runner for attention:
Yea, I have the base of it welded together, which is basically just a 2.5'x4.5' workbench for the time being. (tis a fine workbench storage shelf tho)

I got ahold of them on facebook and they said the same thing, so I'll definitley be buying a ticket when the paypal page is set up.

Did they custom fab that rear bumper? I like that it matches the ARB bull bar (love those)
Old 10-22-2017, 08:55 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Thats great to hear some of your work will make it to SEMA. Looks like they have a great project going to it.
Old 12-27-2017, 08:28 PM

Where you been Ed? Nothing new lately?
Old 12-27-2017, 09:17 PM

Originally Posted by nvwiggins
Where you been Ed? Nothing new lately?
ha, ha...hey how's it going?... Yeah I've been pretty busy, still working on interior panels. I've had a chance to work on some stuff outside the norm which is kind of fun just to change it up.
​​​
Here are some recent door panels I've finished:

^^^These were for an 83' Toyota 4x4...old school Toyota emblem design over top of the factory door pattern.

^^^Im finishing these for a 93' pickup, I bought some new dimple dies so now I can do 2" dimpled holes

This one^^^^ was for a 73' hilux pickup, rising sun overlay on top of the factory door panel pattern/design.

Then I had a gal with a slammed/bagged Toyota that wanted to do a Cinderella theme on her truck, she had me do this panel that's going to go in he front of her bed, it will only be seen with the bed raised:

Last edited by rustED; 12-27-2017 at 09:26 PM.
Old 12-28-2017, 05:21 AM

Those look awesome maybe after I finish up the suspension I’ll get ahold of you for some door panels. Are you on Instagram at all or just post on here?
Old 12-29-2017, 09:19 AM

Thanks, yeah I'm on Instagram too...(eddies_custom_designs) or you can get ahold of me on my FB page... but with your fab skills I don't think you need me!
https://m.facebook.com/TOYOTAS.4.LIFE/?ref=bookmarks

Your runner is going to be sweet when you vet the suspension finished!

Last edited by rustED; 12-29-2017 at 02:16 PM.
Old 12-29-2017, 10:22 AM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
Originally Posted by rustED
Thanks, yeah I'm on Instagram too...(eddies_custom_designs) or you can get ahold of me on my FB page...
https://m.facebook.com/TOYOTAS.4.LIFE/?ref=bookmarks

!
just started following you on Instagram.
Pretty cool some of your work ended up at SEMA
Old 12-29-2017, 03:11 PM

Originally Posted by dropzone
just started following you on Instagram.
Pretty cool some of your work ended up at SEMA
thanks Robb, yeah I thought it was pretty cool, I wish they had an auto shop program like that when I went to high school!

I've been talking to a guy the last couple days that wants me to do some door panels for his little toy...
Old 12-29-2017, 04:37 PM
Contributing Member

Received 463 Likes on 309 Posts
That's a crazy looking thing right there, your door panels would fit right into the scheme beautifully.
Old 05-11-2018, 12:07 PM

Originally Posted by habanero
That's a crazy looking thing right there, your door panels would fit right into the scheme beautifully.
Thank you Habanero! I haven't started on his door panels yet, but should be here pretty soon.

So I haven't been on here in awhile, life has been crazy lately, I have been super busy and have a few life changes coming up in the next month or so, some good some bad. But anyway, I realize I haven't updated my thread in awhile. Figured I might as well put up some pics of some of my more recent work. Some of these I've posted on Instagram, so some of you might have already seen them. In the past I was doing the tailgate cover in 3 pieces, mainly to try to save people money in shipping, I was able to ship them in a large flat rate box, but after doing one in a one piece design I realized it wasn't saving that much in shipping cost and the 3 pieces design was more labor. (Cory I know we talked thru a pm, but if you see any tailgate covers in these pics that you like, or that give you some ideas let me know and I can incorporate it into yours).

Last edited by rustED; 05-11-2018 at 12:19 PM.
Old 05-11-2018, 12:18 PM

Hope things are going alright for you!

Those are looking awesome!!
Super professional!
Old 05-11-2018, 12:28 PM

And here are a few different door panels I've done.

Oops, Suzuki Samurai, ha, ha!
Did a guys Rocket logo in the center
70' Hilux pickup
89-95' pickup
79-83' pickup