86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

Quest for a more bulletproof 22RE - 89 4runner engine build

Old 09-10-2017, 09:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dark_fairytales
19.4gal tanks only came in the longbed single cab trucks. Pickups are 17 and 4runner 14
thanks for clearing that up. I can tell you from experience that the sending unit for the gas gauge and the fuel pump hanger brackets are not interchangeable from the 4Runner (14 gal) to the pickup (17gal or at least the tank I got for free)...although the guy that gave me the tank had it on a truggy with no bed and it may have been the 19 gal.
Old 09-10-2017, 04:58 PM

Received 554 Likes on 452 Posts
19.4gal tanks only came in the longbed single cab trucks. Pickups are 17 and 4runner 14
I dont recall the translations here. But the turbo 4runner has a 17 gallon tank.
Old 09-24-2017, 10:21 PM

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts
geez! what a roller coaster ride!

this is the first time i've read through your whole thread. dayum son. i've read bits and pieces when i had time, but the last 8 pages were nuts!

1. i don't know you photoshop those license plates on there or not, but either way, they're fantastically creative.
2. what is this comunity shop you have access to? i used to live in dallas. i never knew a place like that existed. thats such a rad idea.
Old 09-26-2017, 04:06 AM

Received 805 Likes on 528 Posts
no. the 1st gen 4r has a 17 gallon tank. it is 14.3 imperial gallons.
Old 09-29-2017, 01:21 PM

Sorry for no major updates in a while. Got the fuel pump and hanger replaced on the '86 and been messing with the wiring for the PIAA lights. Hopefully going to get a day this weekend to work on it.
Old 10-09-2017, 09:58 AM

ahhhh....city code enforcement and the Texas Two Step.

So about a year or so ago, the State of Texas decided to combine inspection and registration. You literally have to take a signed inspection into the tax office along with insurance to fill out and receive your registration - they call it the Texas Two Step. Before this change, you could just pay the $$ and they'd send you new stickers. I got hit with not one.....but TWO tickets last week by the city for the '89 4Runner and Turbo truck sitting out behind our warehouse.....in the middle of an industrial park, not even remotely visible from any street. I would have just been able to pay the $$ and get them both registered, but you have to get them inspected first, and neither one are currently running as I've been focused on getting the '86 sold.

To make things further complicated, we only have dock height bays at the shop and no ramps. So basically I spent 75% of my weekend moving junk around with a pallet jack and stuffing the dumpster with as much crap as I could to clear out some space. Then paid a tow company to come snatch the trucks up one by one....lift them to the height of the dock....and we pushed them in doing the Austin Powers 123 point turn so they didn't crush the wall. Lots of fun.

Feat accomplished. $200 a day per vehicle fines avoided.

Last edited by joelsmithdesigns; 10-09-2017 at 10:01 AM.
Old 10-09-2017, 12:37 PM

What a pain!!

First of all, nice job!!! Sounds like a pain in the a**! Especially since your rigs were just sitting. I live a little north of Seattle, Wa., and at least our inspections, and registrations, are done separately. Vehicles newer than 25 years old need to be inspected every other year. Once it hits 25 years old, like my 87' Toy SR-5, it became a classic, so no more inspections. They'll mail me the registrations.

Thank you for this thread, I like to see what other folks are doing on their rigs! Best of luck continuing forward!!
Old 10-17-2017, 09:38 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
the government will do anything to get your money...... except your job! they wont do that!!
Old 10-17-2017, 09:39 AM

Originally Posted by bootscootboogie
the government will do anything to get your money...... except your job! they wont do that!!
Thanks Bootscoot......I needed that laugh today!
Old 10-27-2017, 10:19 AM

Time is a fickle thing....

haven't had much time at all to work on anything of note. But I am supposed to be helping a buddy with his '86 4runner 22RE Auto. He's experiencing some awkward shifts and feels like his whole A340 trans may be going out. We're going to try and slap in some new shift solenoids and trans filter kit tonight.....if that doesn't fix it, he's got another craigslist trans that came out of a V6, so we may be pulling it and swapping bellhousings and torque converters. I'll try to take a few pics to see if it's any help to you automatic guys (& gals) out there, but the easiest / best video i've seen for swapping out shift solenoids is located here - (guy is pretty hilarious and reminds me a lot of me):

If this works, I may buy the same kit and do my dad's T100 I've been driving around as it's auto is getting kind of tired as well.

Also headed down to Waco / Austin this weekend for my Grandma's 90th birthday....but there is a junkyard outside of Belton (on the way down) that always has 10-15 1979-95 Trucks and 4Runners so I may toss the tools in the truck and go have a looksy.

Potential awesome upgrades for my rig coming soon and I'm moving (again) closer to the shop so might be able to actually get some good work done.
Old 10-30-2017, 12:01 PM

Drove my buddy's 4Runner around the block a couple of times to see how it was shifting. It seemed super sluggish, even for an automatic. Started thinking about it and guessed that his Throttle Position Sensor (TPS) might be off as there was a delay in the pedal. Sure enough, we adjusted it into the correct position and the rig drove like a champ. Yay! no need to replace solenoids or swap a trans on Friday night!

Also picked up a few interior pieces from the junk yard this weekend as well.
Old 11-20-2017, 06:37 AM

Busted knuckles and sunburned

after going to 5 different Uhaul places that all found a reason not to rent me an auto transport, I finally found one that would, got the '86 4Runner loaded up and took it over to the shop. Finally took the old brackets off the 2000 Volvo C70 convertible seats and fabbed up some new brackets. Of course the left and right (inside and outside) were different and the bolt pattern is different on the driver's and passengers seats, but got it all knocked out and even wired them up so they move!

Also took the old rusty bumper, cut off the tubes, and welded up some new thicker ones. I was going to curve it around the sides like the front, but got lazy and was tired, so I just capped them off straight. - might need to spray the original plastic rear bumper fillers with the UPOL Raptor and put them on so it doesn't look so odd. Was going to try and do some nerf bars as well, but had stayed up overnight (after spending 1/2 the day just trying to get a stupid trailer) and was just too darn exhausted. May cut the pipe for those here and just run over to the shop and weld them up with some plates so they're bolt on.

I've got several people interested in buying it, and had to at the very least get the seats in. Have a few more interior parts to install including a center console I picked up at the junk yard, but it's coming together quickly.

Old 11-29-2017, 06:34 AM

Bye Felicia

the '86 4Runner is officially gone and with it's happy new owner (ended up letting it go for much less than I wanted to, but needed it gone, so the guy got a deal). There is a lot of different things I'd like to do to the '89 right now, but am going to use the cash and effort to fix up my old '66 mustang and try and get it sold as well. I doubt I'll have any major updates on the old Yotas coming up, but will keep everyone posted.
Old 12-06-2017, 11:34 AM

FWIW, I really enjoyed this thread. Seems like ya got a good head on your shoulders. I had a shop ( small ) around or less than 7000Sq'ed ft. MOST of the fab, mechanics I had didn't even have near the enthusiasm you appeared to have. I WISHed they had the ability to articulate the way you did. Even if only in written word Sir.

I have a LOT of questions but will make EVERY effort to use the " search " key as I am " new " here and still playing catch-up with 22 R/ Older yota's.
Thank you all who have taken the time to contribute Honestly with real experience.
Old 12-06-2017, 11:40 AM

Enthusiam

Enthusiam.....ha! Articulation? That probably happened with a string of unmentionable words after busted knuckles or the 3rd or 4th engine pull. I guess why I wrote most of it down was hoping someone would pop in and give their 2c and save me all the trouble, but I'm sure I've probably made some trouble for folks. Articulation was only after I'd had a few beers and calmed down about whatever PITA was going on at the time. I've had to take a bit of a break on it (sux right after I got that fresh LCE Stage 3 block put in), but have to focus my freetime elsewhere to clear a few other things off my plate so I can eventually get back to it.

If you've ever got any questions or comments, drop in....I've probably done whatever it is you need in the snow on my back in a gravel driveway and may be able to give my 2c on the issue.
Old 12-06-2017, 12:46 PM

L/C ( Loud and queer )...errr, Loud and clear Sir.I Roger that ! I REALLY wanna rip these beasts apart and get into this game.
Im bored to tell the truth. However, I just need a little time to meet up with folks at shows and such.

Wife wants an RV ( German diesel burner is all Ill accept though ) to travel around the states. I want a 4x4 yota in tow. JUST temporary but Ill settle for a solid stock engine for the 1986. Maybe slap a bigger throttle Bee and stainless exhaust. Just to get us by till I have the info I need. ( I have a diesel 3 cyclinder japan motor but have a buyer for engine and do NOT wanna start cutting or chancing to make it fit in the toyota !. I really want a japan , gas made yota )

I have NO desire to build anything till I know whats ahead/best on the build. I have several friends still in the " shop " biz but not in this area. ( 4x4 older yota ) YET, all 3-4 of them owns or wants 1.
Happens once you retire I guess.
Never be in a hurry to by, sell or build till ya know what cha want IMO. ( TOO many yahoos out in the world of 4x4 )

Im tired of researching frankly so started looking at unimog out-fits. It is NOT the same as " back 2 future " yota I fell in love with but could not afford till I was successful. ( Decades later. LoL )
Anyway, After X-mas we are to travel to a custom build shop but they don't really inspire confidence in restorations of Toyota 4x4.

I trust this is not a violation of policy to speak openly.
Old 12-08-2017, 10:05 AM

Originally Posted by pinoythia
Have you ever looked into JDM Engines Corp? They sell some of the turbo diesels that you can't get in the states. Would be awesome to have one of the old school rigs with a full turbo diesel swap.
Old 12-13-2017, 07:46 AM

I have not Sir. The 3 cyc diesel burner I have is an Isuzu turbo. Japan made and is a work horse. Ill check out JDM but doubt they would be less work to cram in or even any better than what I have.

I may just order a standard gasburner, long block ( Less than 2K shipped ). I may go with stainless headers and new Carb but know not where to get the best deal.
$ 7-800 just for a header and Carb sounds really high frankly.
Old 12-13-2017, 10:04 AM

I've got a dual side draft weber setup with the MSD 6AL box, LCE Distributor and coil to go with it (everything you need to run minus the starter & alternator) along with an LCE Stainless header I might be willing to part with for the right deal. Also have a block that needs to be bored & Stage 2 head + all other parts. I Was planning on building it up, but it's just sitting at the moment.
Old 12-14-2017, 01:14 PM

Well sounds good...IF..it is mutually beneficial. Though ya might have to educate me a lil on all the benefits verses factory set up ( I can google the parts you listed to try and get up to speed ). NO experience with weber on yotas. I figured someone/company probable had a way of opening up a factory carb/throttle body. Drop in part or drill out more or some such thing. Dunno.

I know I do NOT wanna have to tinker with a device just to get it calibrated. Then turn around and have to repeat the process because that's MY experience with webbers on other autos. Vacuum/air intake to fuel ratio is a Pain for me sometimes. I was gonna keep it factory or close to in order to eliminate Daily use problems. MSD I trust though. Weber....on yotas...Dunno.
We used MSD before. They bought one of the company's out years and years ago we used @ the shop. It actually improved the product after they brought them but later just changed the name to their brand MDS

Even if or when I do total rebuilds, Complete disassemble, sand blast, top-o-line coatings, bomb blankets ...the works. Peoples lives and missions depended on this and we " manned " our own vehicles but that was a LONG time ago. Even now IF I build autos or machines: its 100 % turn key for whatever purpose they are designed for. ( If that makes sense )

Oreillys has a long block that get my farm Yota going. They have a bored /performance version for a few more $$$. Should do till I research here and figure out just what all I need to build my yota like I want/need . ( Gears , shocks, motor and so on. Once I rip it apart to do it right.
That's a few years ahead. I just do not have the time to build my motor at present. Ill see if the #'s on my engine/tranny match what ya have Sir and we can go from there if ya wish.
Heck if its a good deal, I always pay cash. Well, with In person sales. Hard to do over the net. LoL

Toyota 4x4s just aint my " lane " and I must make a decision before long. Appreciate the thread and the info. So far, The offer sounds good. I just need cost verses benefit so Ill google-fu it once I get time. I really need to run for now. Digg'en the site though.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Quest for a more bulletproof 22RE - 89 4runner engine build