86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

malteserunner's 1987 4Runner Build-Up Thread

Old 10-01-2009, 07:05 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey Adam, very nice build thread! I had noticed your bumpers out at pismo, but didn't get a chance to ask you about them. I had no idea that you had built them!

If you need a 2nd gen to build bumpers for, I might know of one.

It was great to meet you at Pismo and hopefully I'll get up there to wheel with you soon. That shuteye pk lookout trail was a fun one (especially in my wife's stock tacoma, LOL).
Old 10-01-2009, 07:44 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by slosurfer
It was great to meet you at Pismo and hopefully I'll get up there to wheel with you soon. That shuteye pk lookout trail was a fun one (especially in my wife's stock tacoma, LOL).
Thanks Chris! It was good to meet you guys out there too. Definitely let us know when you want to come up this way so we can get out on the trails.
Old 10-18-2009, 08:29 PM
Contributing Member

It's cooling off a bit, so I put the hardtop back on, as well as the winter tires. I was anxious to get out and play around with the MT's.

Well, it rained last week, so we decided to hit some of the local trails over the weekend. The weather was perfect today, brilliant blue sky with some scattered clouds. We headed up Sky Ranch Rd toward Fresno Dome, and decided to take the back way around to Beasore by way of Grey's Mountain. We found a lot of good hill climbs, some rocks, nice maintained trails, and some not so maintained trails. All in all it was a great day, with only one 'stuck', and nothing broken.

The back side of Fresno Dome

Matt playing in a puddle

Parts of the trail toward Grey's Mountain

Crawling around on some rocks

I chose a bad line and got to use the winch to recover myself

This was a fun section

My turn

We had a great time on this little run. Stopped around noon for some grilled chicken salad my wife prepared, and took the opportunity to fire off a few rounds with the AR's. Looking forward to the rain and snow soon.
Old 10-18-2009, 08:33 PM

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
Great pics!!!!
Old 12-28-2009, 09:55 AM
Contributing Member

Well, I haven't updated this thread in a while, so....

I landed a new job that's been keeping me very busy. That, and all the holidays. By the way, Merry Christmas everyone.

The 4Runner is getting a couple new mods. I am in the process of installing an OBA system, using the factory A/C compressor. I had some high pressure hoses made, using the factory barbed lines and some 1/2 NPT fittings on the ends. I'm using 1/2 to 3/8 reducers from there, to an oiler and filter on the intake and a water separator and check on the output of the compressor. I got a 12 gallon tank from a buddy, which is larger than I need, but the price was right (free). He also gave me an extra pressure switch that I'll use to cut power to the compressor at 150 psi, and a couple solenoid valves so I can run an air horn later. I still need to pick up a few odds and ends before the install, then I'll post up some pics and a write-up.

We took a trip through Yosemite the other day. This is my favorite time of year to visit the park. Not too much traffic, and everything looks awesome in the snow.

The view of Half Dome from Foresta

This fall is off the beaten path.

The Chapel.

The tunnel at Inspiration Point.

Tunnel View.

Tuolumne Meadow.
Old 12-28-2009, 06:50 PM

LOVE LOVE this thread and your 4runner!! Makes me want to go outside and start working on mine.....right now...in the dark....

P.S. you gotta pm me how you get your wife you play along with you...been working on mine for awhile :-)
Old 12-28-2009, 06:57 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by RICE ETR
LOVE LOVE this thread and your 4runner!! Makes me want to go outside and start working on mine.....right now...in the dark....

P.S. you gotta pm me how you get your wife you play along with you...been working on mine for awhile :-)
Thanks! Yeah, the wife is great. She loves getting out and wheeling with me, the kids too. They are the reason I've always had a 4Runner. Have fun with your 87!
Old 12-28-2009, 07:05 PM
RMA
Contributing Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Great pics man , Looks like your the guy to go with when cruising around up there , looks like you know all the cool hidden places .
Thanks for the pics !!
Old 12-28-2009, 09:15 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by RMA
Great pics man , Looks like your the guy to go with when cruising around up there , looks like you know all the cool hidden places .
Thanks for the pics !!
Yeah, I've lived in the area for 20 years, so I've had plenty of time to get to know the trails. Any time you feel like coming this way to wheel, or just to visit Yosemite, feel free to drop me a pm. We are always ready for another adventure.
Old 01-04-2010, 08:56 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
So, you keep talking about this OBA conversion... You were going to do it tonight, right? How did it go?
Old 01-04-2010, 08:59 PM
RMA
Contributing Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by malteserunner
Yeah, I've lived in the area for 20 years, so I've had plenty of time to get to know the trails. Any time you feel like coming this way to wheel, or just to visit Yosemite, feel free to drop me a pm. We are always ready for another adventure.
I will pm you next time we go up there , would like to see all those cool places man !!
Old 01-04-2010, 09:41 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Mountain Cop
So, you keep talking about this OBA conversion... You were going to do it tonight, right? How did it go?
Haha. I'll be working on it a bit tomorrow. Still need a couple odds and ends to complete the system. I'll post some pics and a write-up, I promise. Let me know where you guys are meeting on the 6th. Hopefully I'll be off work and we'll be able to tag along.
Old 01-05-2010, 06:31 PM
Contributing Member

Here's the some of the progress I made on the OBA today.

Some of the parts. 12 gallon tank, in tank check valve, fittings, coupler, pressure switch (on at 110, off at 145), hose, and the solenoids my buddy gave me which I'll use for the air horn sometime down the road.

Exhaust side of the compressor. I routed it below the intake manifold. You can see the high pressure fitting in the pic.

And the intake side. The filter is stainless (not oiled yet). Then I used an inline oiler. I still need to remove the bracket and paint it black. I'm thinking about running the intake line through the firewall and installing the filter in the cab to keep it clean and dry.

I'll post more as I make progress.
Old 01-05-2010, 06:47 PM

Received 69 Likes on 48 Posts
Great truck, love the color. Your sig says you got a downey header. If you can can you post up a photo of it?
Old 01-06-2010, 02:53 PM

Great build, love the front bumper! Any chance you would make another and sell??
Old 01-13-2010, 06:29 AM
YotaTech Milestone-Two Millionth Post

Received 122 Likes on 57 Posts
wow, just found this thread.

Love the 1st gen runner, we picked up one last year and have yet to have it road worthy.

Jealous of all the trails you guys have.

Good work man.
Old 02-03-2010, 09:56 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by stroM-
Great build, love the front bumper! Any chance you would make another and sell??
We are still at a stand still on the bumpers. No money or time at the moment. I'm still determined to sell them one day....all in good time I suppose.

Originally Posted by xxxtreme22r
Great truck, love the color. Your sig says you got a downey header. If you can can you post up a photo of it?
Here's a pic.

Originally Posted by 92 TOY
wow, just found this thread.

Love the 1st gen runner, we picked up one last year and have yet to have it road worthy.

Jealous of all the trails you guys have.

Good work man.
Thanks. I've read a couple of your threads. It's cool that you are working with your boys. I'm sure it will pay off in the end. Keep it up.

As for my progress........

Sorry, this OBA is taking me forever. I got it fired up today for the first time. Seems like it's working well. I ran the hose from the compressor to the tank, connected the switches, filled the oiler, and painted the bracket today. I need to install the safety release on the tank and it's ready to use. I plan to modify the A/C idle up valve to increase the idle when the compressor is running. I'm hoping it will adjust up to 1800 rpm, but we'll see.

Some pics...

Under the hood is done.

Hose routing front to back.

Switch powers on the system backed up by the pressure switch on the tank.

Last edited by malteserunner; 02-04-2010 at 09:58 AM.
Old 02-06-2010, 11:43 PM
Contributing Member

I got the safety switch installed today. I ran the system at idle, and it fills the 12 gallon tank from 0 psi to 145 psi in about 2 minutes. At 1500 rpm the fill time is cut in half. I ran a 1/2" impact off the full tank, just to test it out, and it ran great and recovered quickly.

I will say I am extremely impressed with the efficiency of the pump, and it's much quieter than I expected. Also, I have no leaks in the system.

I tested the idle up switch, and the VSV is working fine, but I can't get any adjustment out of the idle up device. I may be mistaken on the operation of that switch, or mine may not be functioning correctly. Anyone have some insight?

Regardless, the system is working perfectly. I'll be on the trails next weekend for some overdue snow wheeling. Naturally, I'll be airing down, so it should be handy getting the pressures back up for the highway drive home.
Old 02-07-2010, 02:47 PM

Since the last post, I added rear three point seat belts for the kids, ordered a WabFab bikini top, cut off and repositioned the sliders, and today painted the runner OD Green.

Here are some pics...

We took a trip through Yosemite the other day. This is my favorite time of year to visit the park. Not too much traffic, and everything looks awesome in the snow.

The view of Half Dome from Foresta

This fall is off the beaten path.

The Chapel.

The tunnel at Inspiration Point.

Tunnel View.

Tuolumne Meadow.
Hey, nice build!

Can I see some more pix of your 3-point rear seatbelts?

Do you live near Yosemite? We live so close, that going to Yosemite is now more of a chore than an adventure. We're maybe not that far apart?

And lastly, I love your truck. I've been dreaming of mine looking very similar. Forrest green body, black top, and either chrome or black Altezzas. I knew there had to be one very similar on YT. Looks awesome. You have great taste.
Old 02-07-2010, 07:55 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by B4Runner
Hey, nice build!

Can I see some more pix of your 3-point rear seatbelts?

Do you live near Yosemite? We live so close, that going to Yosemite is now more of a chore than an adventure. We're maybe not that far apart?

And lastly, I love your truck. I've been dreaming of mine looking very similar. Forrest green body, black top, and either chrome or black Altezzas. I knew there had to be one very similar on YT. Looks awesome. You have great taste.
Thanks man. Yeah, we live close to eachother......I'm in Oakhurst. I'll get some pics of the seatbelts for you. They are out of 84-95 regular cab pickups, and they bolt right in.

Let me know if you need any advice on your build. Thanks again for the compliments.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: malteserunner's 1987 4Runner Build-Up Thread