86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

Head's 86 4Runner "restoration"

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2011, 11:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Head's 86 4Runner "restoration"

Terrys87 inspired me to start a build thread for the 4Runner I am trying to rebuild. So here it goes.

I picked up this 86 4Runner dirt cheap from a friend of a friend. He was the original owner. The PO was having engine troubles and took it to a Toyota garage and they told him a main bearing was bad. I bought it site unseen knowing it needed a motor. So needless to say, I was expecting a rotted out Ohio truck when i got it. So I had big plans to do a solid axle swap on it and turn it into a family wheeling rig. Well, after seeing it in person, those plans changed very quickly. Apparently the runner spent the first 15 years of its life in Arizona. The frame and body were in such good shape that I couldn't bring myself to destroy it. So I set about to get it back into running order.

Here are the pictures that were sent to me when I went to get it.

Last edited by Head; 11-18-2011 at 12:07 PM.
Old 11-18-2011, 11:18 AM

When I picked up the 4runner I was amazed at the condition it was in. I was able to start it and put it on the trailer. To me it didn't sound like a main bearing. So when I got it home I pulled the valve cover off to find the timing chain guides were non existant. So I ordered a timing chain set along with the housing and all.

Got to love the poc-a-dot interior.

Last edited by Head; 11-18-2011 at 12:07 PM.
Old 11-18-2011, 11:36 AM

After putting the new timing chain in I discovered that there was more wrong with the engine. So since I had a spare 22R laying around, I bought a new gasket set and went about pulling the old motor out and swaping all the EFI and accessories over to the spare motor I had.

Once the motor was in I put some plates on it and started to drive it a little. Amazingly, the A/C still worked. It blows cool air, not COLD. So now I need to find somewhere to get some R-12.

Last edited by Head; 11-18-2011 at 12:09 PM.
Old 11-18-2011, 11:50 AM

After putting a couple hundred miles on it I fell in love. It drove so smooth and straight. I decided I was not going to do the solid axle swap. Since I did have an e-locker rear end, I decided I would turn the runner into a DD/wheeler.

So I went about modifying the rear axle housing to accept the e-locker third I bought. Since the e-locker I bought had 4.56 gears in it, I had to find gears for the front. Trying to keep this on the cheap, I found a front diff on ebay with 4.56 gears for $30.

Since the front diff I found was from a truck with ADD, I had to swap the non-ADD parts off the original housing to the new housing.

I then pulled the e-locker third out of the housing so I could make a template for the 4runner housing. It took 10 minutes to tear apart the 4runner rear en, and an hour to get the e-locker rear end apart. Very sad considering the e-locker rear end was out of a 2003 Taco.

You can see where the 4runner housing needs trimmed to accept the e-locker third.

Old 11-18-2011, 11:52 AM

Got axles installed and wired up the e-locker and started driving it more.

I tell you what, stock tire size and 4.56 gears, this thing drives like a dragster. Every shift it would chirp the tires and throw you back in your seat.

Last edited by Head; 11-18-2011 at 11:55 AM.
Old 11-18-2011, 11:58 AM

So I decided to go to 31's. Ended up being the perfect tire size. Speedo is dead on.

Old 11-18-2011, 12:05 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Thats a great looking little truck. Glad to see you saved it. That is what impressed me with my 88 is how well it rides. Wait til you get the top off during the summer.

They have a little bit of everything to make it that much more enjoyable. Really think the more you drive the more you will love the little truck. The IFS will do just about anything you will need. With the Elocker, it will do plenty.

I agree with you. I feel the 31s is the perfect size.

You have done a great job and thanks for letting me inspire you. Looking good and SUBSCRIBED.

Last edited by Terrys87; 11-18-2011 at 12:06 PM.
Old 11-18-2011, 12:05 PM

I also picked up some new front fenders from certifit in cleveland for $40 a piece. Ended up having to turn to ebay for the front bumper and bumper ends. I also cam accross an old bull-bar on ebay for $50 shipped.

The motor that I put in it has decided to start using ALOT of oil. So I tore the original motor apart and found that it ate a rod bearing. So I dropped it off at a machine shop this morning. I plan to rebuild it and put it back in this winter.

I now need to start focusing on the interior. The PO had everything reupholstered with some god-awful poc-a-dot fabric. So I am now in search of interior pieces to bring it back to it's original glory. The other problem I am running into is that all the plastic pieces are so brittle, I don't even know if I will be able to take them off without detroying them.

So if anyone out there has some interior pieces in good shape, please let me know. I would prefer blue, but I am now to the point that any color will do. I will just have to dye them.
Old 11-18-2011, 12:14 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

The very rear panels are VERY brittle. Dont even try and pull them without undoing your roll bar. The seat latch sticks out so far and if you try and bend the panel around it, it will crack. Undo the roll bar and slide back a little and tilt the roll bar forward. It is narrower at the top versus the bottom. It will give you enough room to get the side panels out. I was unable to get the roll bars out without removing the top.

Everyone I have ever found is worse then that. That is where I had to use 2 part epoxy.
I will wait til you finish posting. Hadnt realized you were in the middle of it. Looking great.
Old 11-18-2011, 12:23 PM

Terrry, I am done posting now. Thanks for the advise. I was actually thinking about putting fiberglass on the back of the panels that were falling apart. Not sure about fitment though. Will have to see once I get one out.
Old 11-18-2011, 12:27 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Awesome!

Your story sounds a lot like mine! lol

Keep up the great work!!
Old 11-18-2011, 04:44 PM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Subscribed!

Great work
Old 11-29-2011, 04:10 AM

A little update. No pics though.

I've been buying stuff like crazy.

Picked up the following;
- Rear passenger area side panels
- Driver's side door panel
- Inside door handle trim
- B-pillar trim
- Chrome windshield trim
- Soft top
- Header
- Blue vinyl dye

I am also supposed to go pick up the following this Saturday;
- Blue seats out of a 93 4runner. Driver's side is pretty rough, but the passenger and rear seats are mint.
- Blue seatbelts out of a 93 4runner
- Blue console out of a 93 4runner
- 2 spare CVs
- 2 spare locking hubs
- Marlin Crawler rear bumper
- Trail-gear sliders
Old 11-29-2011, 08:22 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

You got alot going on here soon. It going to look great. The 2nd gen seats are comfy. Looking forward to your progress.

How was the e-locker upgrade? Rear end gears is a mystery to me but something I would like to learn and do.

Last edited by Terrys87; 11-29-2011 at 08:25 AM.
Old 11-29-2011, 02:54 PM

Originally Posted by Terrys87
How was the e-locker upgrade? Rear end gears is a mystery to me but something I would like to learn and do.
The e-locker install was simple. There are a couple writeups out there for doing it. As far as gears go, I didn't have to do the gears on the 4runner, I bought diffs that already had 4.56s in them. I did setup my own gears on my trail truck though. I did 4.88s with lockrites front and rear. Don't let anyone tell you you can't do your own gears. When I started everyone told me I couldn't do it. Just grab yourself a FSM and follow the instructions. I have been wheeling my truck hard for about 6 years now and have had no issues.
Old 12-23-2011, 05:00 PM

Picked up all the parts from the 93 4runner. The seats are in great shape except for the drivers side. So I still need a seat.

Also picked up the motor from the machine shop today. Cost alot more than I expected. Put a coat of paint on it and now I just have to wait on my order from engnbldr to come in. I must say, they are quick with orders. I emailed them for a quote, and 10 minutes later I got an email back. I sent the payment, and again, 10 minutes later they said they were going to try to get it on today's truck. I ordered a timing kit and RV cam.

Old 12-26-2011, 04:20 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Your interior looks great and so does the motor. Looks like you got alot of things ready to go on and keep you busy for a while. Sure is nice not having to wait to get parts. Having them in your shop and ready to go is always a boost and having great merchants that try to get them to you as soon as possible is great also. Hope you had a great Christmas.
Old 12-26-2011, 03:41 PM

Did a little bit of work gutting the 4runner today. I am a big fan of the Can-Back now.

Old 12-26-2011, 04:06 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Nice 4-Runner, Sweet :} I just subscribed, I like the E-locker you did and the front diff change with different gears :}
Old 12-26-2011, 06:41 PM

Started fitting the new carpet.

A little bit more paint work.

I hope to get the rest of the interior back together tomorrow.

Quick Reply: Head's 86 4Runner "restoration"