86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

the genera_lee slo_build - 91 single cab

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2018, 09:43 PM

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by 84 yota dude
Love the work you've done so far!
Thanks! the work just keeps adding up, but its worth the effort for sure as i become more and more confident going everywhere in this thing! and learning and becoming more comfortable behind a wrench

Last edited by Genera_lee; 04-03-2018 at 02:50 PM.
Old 04-03-2018, 01:12 AM

Received 48 Likes on 31 Posts
I'm with you. Every job I do I look at as a learning opportunity.
Old 04-08-2018, 10:11 AM

i finished a bunch of stuff on my list in the last week or so.

Got the horn wiring done, it was super easy once i took some time to really look at it with a multimeter and the wiring diagram.

wired up in parallel. regular 1/4" spade connectors in the factory plug. EASY

I reinstalled all the emission equipment and replaced pretty much all the vacuum lines with new stuff.

My bible for this mini-project

I am almost certain the truck runs better with the emissions stuff installed. and i get better gas mileage. even after moving way up in altitude.
I also managed to tuck the whole system cause i think it just looks better this way.

Installed a 2 USB port charger into the stock cigarette lighter location. it also has a built in voltmeter so i can keep tabs on the battery. plus it matches the interior LED colors pretty well.

I did the Big 3 grounding upgrade using some 4ga cable i picked up at one of the local audio shops here. i think i still need to do the grounding strap to from the alternator to the block.
I noticed more stable voltage readings, and an overall increase of about 0.2 volts through decreasing the grounding resistance.

big difference in the grounding straps for the block

Finished the shock install. It rides worlds better now!

the old ones had no rebound at all

removed the rear bumper and hitch. time will tell if i like the look. eventually i'll build my own. until then tho...

I also finished painting the texas flag in the bed. turned out exactly like i wanted!
Sanded and cleaned and primed with white over

AAAND the final result

Lastly for this round. i did a bunch of sound deading in the cab. following RAD4RUNNER's suggestions, I bought a roll of Peel and Seal from Lowes and lined the door skins, part of the inner door frame, all around the speaker holes, and the big open spots on the inner door panels. i also put some on the back wall of the cab and a little under the floor where my sub and jack sit. It made more of a difference than i thought it would for how cheap it was. took me maybe 2.5 hours to do both doors. and another 20 minutes for the cab. well worth the $17 for the roll. quieter cab, better mid-bass, lower volume needed. less road noise. now i need better weather stripping cause i can actually hear the wind noise. i cant wait to do the rest of the cab now and see what kind of difference it makes doing a full on sound deading treatment before i upgrade all the speakers and what not.

OHHHH really last thing. Picked up an older ARB compressor with locker solenoids and all the required wiring. for $30!!!! it works great and i cant wait to build out my little tire filling system.
Any suggestions on mounting locations would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by Genera_lee; 05-31-2018 at 08:26 PM. Reason: to grace you with my poor photography skills
Old 04-08-2018, 09:44 PM

next i gotta get it registered, do an oil change, and fix the oil leak from when i put the pan on with the gasket like a dummy. which means i get to drop the pan. again. yay.
Old 04-11-2018, 11:19 PM

spent a little time near Donner Lake and in Humboldt-Toiyabe Nat'l Forest a couple weekends ago. it's like 10 minutes from my front door!

Snow hiking in Chacos is fun! said no one ever

Last edited by Genera_lee; 04-11-2018 at 11:21 PM.
Old 04-12-2018, 05:13 PM

Nice! I love that area. Sweet it so close to your house.
Old 04-12-2018, 07:39 PM

Received 118 Likes on 67 Posts
I'm glad you got the emissions out back on. Doesn't look too bad tucked. Also digging the flag in the bed! Good work so far.
Old 04-12-2018, 11:08 PM

Originally Posted by space-junk
I'm glad you got the emissions out back on. Doesn't look too bad tucked. Also digging the flag in the bed! Good work so far.

Thanks man. it was worth it. i passed smog here so its all good now and i get it registered here. and i get better gas mileage. i had one hill near my house that it would slow down on in 5th starting at 65. no matter how much pedal i gave it, it would slow down. now with the EGR and PAIR reinstalled, it will accelerate up the hill. Really slowly accelerating, but still, it'll go 65 to 70 up this incline. i will totally say i was wrong about the emissions equipment robbing power.

i was really glad i did the flag! once it gets a little beat up, i'll clear bedliner over it to protect it from then on.
Old 04-29-2018, 01:49 PM

no real work done to the truck in the last few weeks. i'll be dropping the oil pan to re-seal it this week. and do an oil change. it leaks oil right now like crazy cause im a dummy and didnt seat it will enough during the TC replacement.

Custom plates will be coming in soon. nothing really to report except it's running great right now!

Now some trip pictures!

Impromptu trip into the local part of Toiyabe. turned into a car camping night as well.

Camping in Tahoe NF:

some big tracks in the mud. dang

campground:

and getting my set up dialed in slowly:

Last edited by Genera_lee; 04-29-2018 at 01:57 PM. Reason: moar pics
Old 05-04-2018, 10:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Truck’s looking great man.
Old 05-18-2018, 09:33 PM

Originally Posted by Crockpot
Truck’s looking great man.
thanks i appreciate it. i love it more and more every time i get in it.
Old 05-19-2018, 12:05 AM

ordered the LED Dash Light Upgrade from Low range a month or 2 ago with some other stuff i've yet to install as well. finally got around to installing it. took me a while to get the bulb orientation sorted. i'll have to put a resistor in line or do something to get the dial to work again othe dash for the dash light brightness. overall i'm please with the money i spent on it, but the green of the gauge backlight bulbs is definitely too green for me. i'll have to see what i can do about that in the long run. i order the 85-88 non-tach kit to see if it would match up and it worked out ok. they dont sell one for 89-92 non tach dashs.

did an oil change. or rather, i drained the oil so i could drop the pan off the motor to reseal it. worth it cause i could tell the cork gasket i used wasn't doing the one job it had. in came toyota FIPG to replace it. stupid mistake from me being lazy. this truck is not a project of compromise.

in the process, i had to full drop the diff and the sway bar. i think the front crossmember may have been overkill, but it was easy enough. i also figured out most of my oil leak is coming from the lower drivers side corner of the front/TC cover. crap. i'll have to figure out something tempory to fix it. i really dont want to have to take the whole thing back apart just to seal up one little oil leak.

got new plates. vanity. but whatever. To Yo Ta Truck

finally finished my simple dual bike rack setup with inset captured nuts in the board to keep the bed from getting too scratched. plus i've always wanted a reason to use them. pretty pleased with the decision.

and went on a camping trip to graeagle

Last edited by Genera_lee; 05-19-2018 at 12:06 AM.
Old 05-19-2018, 07:41 AM

Looks like you're using your truck properly!
Old 05-20-2018, 07:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Great looking truck and keep up the good work.
Old 05-20-2018, 11:46 PM

hanks guys!

after some craigslist runarounds (literally, i ran around all weekend after items from cragslist ads), i ended up with some wheels from a wrecked '97 FJ80 with popped tires, and some yakima crossbars that span the whole bed. Shirlee will be getting some new shoes (what do you call wheels if tires are considered shoes? feet?) in the next few weeks. finally.

real sad seeing a 40th like this, but the driver's side is totally mushed. luckily the frame is straight and the owner has some awesome plans for it.

Also hiked Galena creek park to check it out, can't wait to ride there!

Last edited by Genera_lee; 05-22-2018 at 05:02 PM.
Old 06-01-2018, 10:33 PM

Shirlee got a new battery today. of course the process wasnt without some sort of excitement.

died at a gas station on my way home. No power to anything. Eventually got a jump and made it to autozone with a now non-functional radio and voltage all over the place. Checked the battery. 8.5 volts! Whoa it's toasted. In went a new duralast platinum AGM battery. Pricy but the worth the peace of mind.
6/6
Finally figured out why the radio wasn't working. Pulled the dash apart just to pull the head unit. The 10 amp fuse in the radio must have popped when I jumped the truck it's weird cause the 10 amp fuse on the radio broke before the 7.5 amp fuse that is set up for the radio on the truck already. Oh well. It's fixed now. I have music again
and I've gotten really good at pulling apart the dash.
New alternator is on the way. Better safe than sorry.

Last edited by Genera_lee; 06-06-2018 at 10:49 PM.
Old 06-22-2018, 10:22 PM

wow i havent posted on here in a minute. the day after Shirlee got a new battery, she got new wheels and tires too! Falken Wildpeak AT3Ws in a 265/70r16 (31x10.5x16) wrapped around the Fj80 wheels i picked up a month ago for FREE.

Old 06-22-2018, 10:26 PM

went wheeling with a good buddy and camped out. cold as balls in the middle of summer and we got rained on, but still it was great to see him, camp out, and see his new rig. makes Shirlee look like a toy.

Old 06-22-2018, 10:36 PM

last night while driving home from home depot, Shirlee died on me going around a roundabout while exiting the interstate

i was picking up a small selection of lumber to rebuild the bed rack i made in order to hold my gas can and water can more securely, pics to follow.

got my roommate to tow me home (maybe 1/2 mile) and started on my discovery to figure out the cause.

first thought was fuel pump cause it would crank but not start.
then i realized i wasn't getting the check engine light (MIL) coming on when going from off to ACC with the key. \
Quick check of the FSM shows MIL lamp on the EFI circuit. checked the EFI fuse under the hood.
Sure enough, efi fuse was blown. took the fuse from the cigarette lighter circuit and put it in the EFI fuse, and she cranked right up no problem.

Now i need to track down the cause. my thought is O2 sensor wiring grounded out and shorted. but on further reading, it could be the fuel pump wiring or the knock sensor, with the former being more likely. i'll have to dig into that this weekend and track down the culprit.

al in all the experience wasnt too bad. i'm just glad i wasnt out in the middle of nowhere with no cell service or putting down the freeway when it happened.
Old 06-24-2018, 09:30 PM

crawled under the truck to look for the cause of the short that popped the EFI fuse and i see this:

so i dug through my toolbox and found my wire splice connectors. not my favorite option but they have heat shrink on the ends to seal the connection, so they could be worse. prepped the wires, did the work and knocked out the 3 connectors. looks ok know, and the truck runs again, and i think better than in the last few weeks.

no wheeling this weekend because of this, but its fixed now and totally secure so it cant happen again.

Quick Reply: the genera_lee slo_build - 91 single cab