86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

enelson95's 1987 Toyota Pickup 4x4

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2013, 08:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey guys, i just bought myself a 1987 Toyota Pickup 4x4 (Today actually), as the title pretty well describes, but I digress. I created this thread in the hopes that people (that's you!) will follow my progress, provide ideas, answer questions that I may have, and who knows, maybe i can teach someone a thing or two (if I'm lucky). I hope y'all enjoy the thread and please comment on it, even if it seems stupid (multiple sets of eyes are better than one).

My '87 Yota is basically your runt of the mill, generic, Yota 4x4. It's got a 5 speed tranny hooked up to the Legendary 22R. It's currently sittin' on stock wheels and tires, but does have an aftermarket front and rear bumper. However, it does have some.... rare options, or so my neighbor (a Yota "expert" [compared to me] tells me). Its got chrome trim down the whole side of the truck (hard to explain, but a picture's worth a thousand words.) Its also got Vent windows, so it's like ill have twice the A/C power.

My love for Yotas started as long ago as I can remember. My neighbor, a mechanic (basically if Macgyver was a mechanic... it would be him.), had a '86 Regular Cab sittin' on 33's with a four-inch lift, painted Chevy Blue, since before I was born. Unfortunately, he decided to sell it last year, before I had the money to buy it. So after a long time searching... here I am. (Promise i will upload pictures of it later... probably tomorrow.)

My DD is currently a '00 Honda Civic (boo!) with an auto tranny, so i'm nowhere near an expert on driving a 5 speed, but luckily some experience with my dad's 74 Super Beetle means that I am more proficient that your average Prius Owner.

So even though I don't know exactly what I want to do with my Yota, i do have a list of Mods that should be a pretty good start.

To-Do List:
4-inch Suspension Lift
33x12.50r15 BFG Mud Terrain KM2's (Maybe 33x13.50r15 Mud Grapplers later)
Paint (Not sure on color.... maybe Flat Dark Earth?)
Linex Bedliner (later on... maybe DupliColor BedArmor in the mean-time)
Custom Front Bumper/Modified Offroad Bumper (I'll explain later)
Rear Bumper Removal (E-Z)
Window Tint (35% visibility front, maybe 20% rear)
Dash Cover
Rock Sliders
Snorkel
Weber Carb
Rebuild Engine (Bored .20 over... engine in the truck is fine, just want a little more 'giddy-up')
Diamond-Plate Toolbox (Maybe)
Wet Okole Neoprene Seat Covers (www.wetokole.com)
4.88 Gears front and rear

There's probably a lot more that I just can't think of right now...

So yeah.... hope you guys enjoy, and all feedback is appreciated!

p.s. i couldn't get picture(s) to upload... ill try again tomorrow.

-enelson95

Last edited by enelson95; 11-07-2013 at 05:09 AM. Reason: adding to the To-Do List
Old 11-06-2013, 08:58 PM

You got the yota bug now. Trust me when I saw one mod turns into another then another and another and so on. I swear having a yota is like crack. Always gotta have it haha. Also I just did the Dupli Color bed liner to my truck this week. I like the way it looks. Know of a few guys who have done it to there trucks and love it. Will prob try to do it to my 97 F-150 (my DD) next summer.
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f123...ur-kit-274687/
Old 11-07-2013, 05:28 AM

@dsal_86Yota we have close to the same truck! Mine's an '87 but it has the same bench seat and both are obviously extended cab.

But yeah I'm lucky that mine doesn't have any rust in the bed. It's got some surface rust but nothing cancerous, which is incredibly rare here in Georgia. Gonna have to take off the plastic drop-in bedliner to see if there's any surface rust there. It sucks that I wont be able to work on the Yota at all this weekend... got a full load of school work to do. Gotta love college.... right?
Old 11-07-2013, 08:08 AM

Trying to upload what few pics of my yota that i have, but ill have to take the time to get it all figured out. I'm also gonna take some more pictures whenever I get the chance (interior, motor, etc).
Old 11-07-2013, 07:21 PM

Unfortunately didn't get time to do anything to the Yota or upload pictures, but did see the stash of parts my neighbor has. About the only thing he doesn't have is a frame and a cab.
Old 11-08-2013, 08:43 AM

Mine had a plastic drop in liner when i got it. Took it out like a week after i gotit cause of rust spots. Mine a 86 x cab 22re Automatic dlx package. Was stock when i got it except for no radio, drop in liner,and chrome rims. Done everything else to it over the past 10 years. All of it has been done by me, did have help on a few thing from buddys and my dad back when it was my dd.
Old 11-11-2013, 06:41 AM

Took the plastic toolbox off and the drop in bed liner out yesterday.

enelson95's 1987 Toyota Pickup 4x4-forumrunner_20131111_103822.png

With the bedliner still in it

Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20131111_103822.png
Views:	9468
Size:	446.0 KB
ID:	95302

Without the bedliner. There's hardly any rust but it's incredibly dirty. Ill have to wash the whole truck whenever I get the chance.
Attached Thumbnails enelson95's 1987 Toyota Pickup 4x4-forumrunner_20131111_103810.png  
Old 11-11-2013, 12:27 PM

Just realized that I messed up the description of the pictures but you get the idea.
Old 11-15-2013, 01:09 PM

Took the crappy window tint off yesterday. It's amazing how good of shape the windows are in, especially considering that they are the original windows. I do plan to get the windows professionally tinted at some point in the future (hopefully beginning of the summer.) Might take the rear bumper off this weekend and maybe even order a stock front bumper, but we'll just have to see.
Old 11-15-2013, 04:15 PM

The bed is nice. Lucky on no rust. I had the tint on my windows when I got it. Took that off in a few hours. Was alot nicer not having the tint on for when I was out wheeling and it was cold. couldnt see much out of them.
Old 11-15-2013, 04:21 PM

Originally Posted by dsal_86Yota
The bed is nice. Lucky on no rust. I had the tint on my windows when I got it. Took that off in a few hours. Was alot nicer not having the tint on for when I was out wheeling and it was cold. couldnt see much out of them.
My tint was so bad it turned puprle and was cracked you could hardly see out of the window unless it was down.
Old 11-15-2013, 04:24 PM

Nothing like locking your keys in your truck in your own garage because your damn dog wouldn't jump out on its own. -__-
Attached Thumbnails enelson95's 1987 Toyota Pickup 4x4-forumrunner_20131115_202336.png  
Old 11-15-2013, 04:57 PM

Well finally got the truck unlocked. Hey guys can you get some more people on this thread for some ideas/suggestions/hints/problem solving.
Old 11-17-2013, 06:25 AM

here is a hint/problem solving: When locked out, pop the black window trim off of the base of the window, get your knife, a piece of wire, a screwdriver, etc. and lift the metal rod which is connected to the door lock mechanism. You can do this in less than a minute, you'll never be locked out again. Alternatively: if you have vent windows just don't lock one of 'em and push it open and stick your arm in.

Really, though, cool truck I've got an 87 myself. I'll follow along.
Old 11-17-2013, 06:27 AM

Originally Posted by cheez
here is a hint/problem solving: When locked out, pop the black window trim off of the base of the window, get your knife, a piece of wire, a screwdriver, etc. and lift the metal rod which is connected to the door lock mechanism. You can do this in less than a minute, you'll never be locked out again. Alternatively: if you have vent windows just don't lock one of 'em and push it open and stick your arm in.

Really, though, cool truck I've got an 87 myself. I'll follow along.
Im definitely gonna have to remember those tricks. And thanks man. Do you have a build thread?
Old 11-17-2013, 11:47 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Looks like you have great looking extra cab. Looking forward to your build. I have an extra cab that I plan on getting on the road one day. There are small problems with these trucks and most problems can be fixed with out spending a whole lot of cash with a little determination. Also be patient and you will find parts on the cheap. Keep an eye on craigslist and for people parting trucks out. Some of them can have great deals.

Seen you asking for tips on fixing some problems on these trucks. I have tried to make my 88 Runner Thread below in my signature link, on the first page, on how to fix alot of the common issues on these. You will need to go by the post number instead of the page as pages do change when I add something to it. Even though it is a runner, there are alot of things that interchange.
Old 11-19-2013, 11:28 AM

Here's a teaser of my next little project.
Attached Thumbnails enelson95's 1987 Toyota Pickup 4x4-forumrunner_20131119_152808.png  
Old 11-20-2013, 05:59 AM

Got the headlights installed the other day. They're a lot brighter than the old one (only one worked).
Old 11-20-2013, 06:52 PM

Originally Posted by enelson95
Im definitely gonna have to remember those tricks. And thanks man. Do you have a build thread?
Alas, I do not. If I did it'd be mighty boring... school loans and my plans to make an honest woman out of my girlfriend sap all of my cash flow. Right now i'm just fixing and maintaining my truck, big plans for the future though. I do have a laundry list of write ups with pictures that I have to get around to composing, many of the little fixes terry referred to.
Not much goes majorly wrong with these rigs if you stay on top of em and treat them right, and they are majorly simple, great trucks to cut your mechanics' teeth on. Congrats on the new ride; it seems like you have the right attitude and enough motivation to really enjoy it.
Old 11-28-2013, 06:45 AM

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

Quick Reply: enelson95's 1987 Toyota Pickup 4x4