86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

Dropzone's 1994 4runner Build AKA: Project Recycle:

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2019, 04:44 PM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
The slowest Auto to geared transfercase conversion continues and I may have run into a big snag. When I ordered Trail-Gear crossmember from @lowrangeoffroad over a year ago I didn't notice it said it was not for autos. I guess I was pumped to see a good deal with free shipping(it weighs a ton)

The mounts are the same as the factory,

if push comes to shove I found my Bud-Built crossmember from the Trekker. I should be able to use it to help make an extension if need be.
I would rather go this route than have to go to a Front Range Off Road type of crossmember that bolts to the back of the transfer case.

Got the output shaft cut on the transmission so for sure no turning back now.

Hard to believe this thing still has fluid draining after a few days. Started to pull the pan and it started coming out again.

tomorrow I'll get the valve body pulled and convert the parking pawl etc. I think I am on page 4 of 9 in the instructions
Old 01-14-2019, 05:01 PM

Received 49 Likes on 40 Posts
Well you have until the first... Then you need to come wheeling with us!
Old 01-14-2019, 05:06 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Rob,

if need be I am happy to plasma cut new mounting holes for you if needed. Just let me know if you need help.
Old 01-14-2019, 05:54 PM
Fossilized
Staff

Originally Posted by CreeperSleeper
Well you have until the first... Then you need to come wheeling with us!
Haha..I am trying Chad!
Originally Posted by 85toyman
Rob,

if need be I am happy to plasma cut new mounting holes for you if needed. Just let me know if you need help.
Don thanks for the offer! Truly appreciated.
From a comment on facebook it may be as simple as making a spacer.
I'll get it all mounted up and see where I am at. Need to be done by Saturday so i can get to work on Sunday. One of my kids is using my other truck but she just may end up SOL
Old 01-16-2019, 04:46 PM
Fossilized
Staff

OK did a little more work today
Got the valve body off the A340H. Sort of a pain.

Looks like someone had been in the trans before looking at the dents in two of the tubes. The two co springs to the front went flying. Thought I saw something else pop out.
The small check valve spring/ball didn't fly. But
I did find a small part in the bucket the ATF was dripping into. Hoping it was from the T/c @radesigns_products hoping you might know what it is.
No luck in the manual or finding it in parts diagram or YouTube videos.

and I was hoping to avoid totally taking apart the valve body but looking at the gasket where the 3 circles are I need to replace it(not sure what those 3 Springed valves are called

if you ever do this be sure to pull the throttle cable from the cam. I forgot and it screwed me up keeping track of crap flying around

finally found through awhile of searching for part number

35433-30064..head to the dealer tomorrow, local parts places kept saying valve gaskets...nope, gasket, valve body!!

Last edited by dropzone; 01-16-2019 at 06:30 PM.
Old 01-16-2019, 05:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Awesome Build!! You have some skills!!

Let me see if I understood correctly. Are you going to connect dual cases to the A340H Transmission? And then later you will change the A340H for an R150F?
Old 01-16-2019, 06:43 PM
Fossilized
Staff

Originally Posted by MDST
Awesome Build!! You have some skills!!

Let me see if I understood correctly. Are you going to connect dual cases to the A340H Transmission? And then later you will change the A340H for an R150F?
Thank you sir, I appreciate it!
a lot of this is trial and error for me...doing stuff on a limited budget..

So you are correct to a point., i am adding dual cases to the Auto using an inchworm adapter (apparently no longer available from what I can find online, got lucky on black friday 2017) .
I am getting old so sorta like the auto so I will probably stick with it until it is time to retire this truck. Manual transmissions just seem to be so much easier to work on.
This is my first time getting this far into an auto transmission...Fingers cross it goes back together OK..

Old 01-19-2019, 12:11 PM
Fossilized
Staff

Finally got up the nerve to start replacing the valve body gaskets plus it took a few days to get gaskets. Dealer said both gaskets were there..cool..well got two of the same..
so road block #1
Road block #2 is a small plunger fell out when I lifted the upper portion of the valve body apart.

Gotta figure out where that goes, looked at assorted stuff on the web I know its # 35449B/C and goes above a solenoid.
Fortunately that is the only thing that popped out. Check Balls and strainers all stayed where there should be.
If anyone has advice I sure would appreciate it #a340 #canofworms

I found a source to download the transmission rebuild manual from but looking at that it doesn't show the part other than the exploded diagram

Old 01-19-2019, 04:29 PM
Fossilized
Staff

Ok so since I am kinda stuck at this point and burned out looking at transmission diagrams I stole the bathroom scale and wanted to find out of the 4runner was gonna loose a few pounds with this conversion.

threw this pile in some buckets(minus crossmember)

the chain drive parts ended up weighing 101 pounds between the two buckets.

the assembled dual gear drive cases were 120 pounds

So for a net increase of about 20 pounds more gearing options and two more levers on the transmission column the additional weight will be worth it.
trivial I know ...
Old 01-19-2019, 07:01 PM
Contributing Member

Received 463 Likes on 309 Posts
Totally worth it.

All those bits and pieces and figuring parts out would make me cross-eyed. Good work digging into it, you'll get it.
Old 01-19-2019, 10:31 PM

Received 570 Likes on 449 Posts
Like I said on Instagram, I got my popcorn ready!

Old 01-29-2019, 11:18 AM
Fossilized
Staff

Originally Posted by habanero
Totally worth it.

All those bits and pieces and figuring parts out would make me cross-eyed. Good work digging into it, you'll get it.
thanks Hab!

Originally Posted by old87yota
Like I said on Instagram, I got my popcorn ready!

well Jake that popcorn must be getting cold.

no real updates, new gasket kit came in yesterday. Rory of RADdesigns sent me a bunch of valve body diagrams that should help me get the POS back together.
So I had some neck and shoulder pain that I thought was related to sitting under the 4runner pulling crap apart.
It was getting worse so made an appointment to get checked out. That morning I started developing a rash on my neck, thought great razor burn.
Nope got hit with a case of shingles that just happens to show up the day of the appointment. Rash and blisters on face, neck and shoulders.
Than a few days later the right side of my face ballooned up like I went 5 or 6 seconds with Tyson...great secondary infection.
The nerve pain has been fun.

If you are an old fart like me get the shingles vaccine.. ]

Will start back on this thing in a few days

Last edited by dropzone; 01-29-2019 at 11:20 AM.
Old 01-29-2019, 11:32 AM

Received 49 Likes on 40 Posts
Dang that sucks! I was going to give you a hard time about it being done for the weekend, but shingles is no joke...
Old 01-29-2019, 11:49 AM
Fossilized
Staff

Originally Posted by CreeperSleeper
Dang that sucks! I was going to give you a hard time about it being done for the weekend, but shingles is no joke...
thanks Chad, i had heard it could be bad but never really thought about it. It hasn't been the most enjoyable thing.
I really wish I could head out there with you guys this weekend.
Your 85 is progressing along great!

adding this for reference
Originally Posted by RAD4Runner
I have some seepage there so I'm bookmarking "Replacing Transfer Case Rear Oil Seal" For easy reference.
This is probably gonna be my next essential "drive-train reliability" project.
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116...l#post51898126
​​​​​​​
Old 01-29-2019, 10:09 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Haven't been on YT in a very long time. Your old Trekker thread gave me lots of ideas on my 1st gen back in the day, glad to see this site is still alive. Thanks for updating, you've given me lots of ideas for my '90 4Runner!
Old 01-30-2019, 09:58 AM

Received 570 Likes on 449 Posts
Well that sucks! Get well soon! I know that sounds like a sappy card I bought from Target, but seriously, get well soon!

Originally Posted by dropzone
well Jake that popcorn must be getting cold.
Don't worry, there is more where that came from!

In the meantime, I will just have one of these (I got the old drive-in movie theater bug):

Old 01-30-2019, 11:54 AM
Fossilized
Staff

Originally Posted by Crimson Yota
Haven't been on YT in a very long time. Your old Trekker thread gave me lots of ideas on my 1st gen back in the day, glad to see this site is still alive. Thanks for updating, you've given me lots of ideas for my '90 4Runner!
Glad to give you some ideas! Looking forward to seeing the progress on your 4runner!
Just took a look at your profile, looks like you are just getting back into it. That 4runner of yours looks to be in great shape! I kind of miss having mine a nice red like that.
Originally Posted by old87yota
Well that sucks! Get well soon! I know that sounds like a sappy card I bought from Target, but seriously, get well soon!

Don't worry, there is more where that came from!

In the meantime, I will just have one of these (I got the old drive-in movie theater bug):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rVRsawpf94Y

haha, that was pretty good Jake!

Last edited by dropzone; 01-30-2019 at 11:57 AM.
Old 02-09-2019, 06:35 PM
Fossilized
Staff

Haven't really been able to do a whole lot lately due to some nerve issues going on my right side in the neck and shoulder that has been limiting my range of motion.

After a buddy had his 4runner stolen last week I decided to try to add another line of defense to keep some low life from taking my 94.
A steering wheel Club is a joke because they take about 5 seconds to defeat.
I had the Grant removable steering wheel from the 81 Trekker sitting on the shelf.
Grant showed a different adapter from the 81 to the 94. Decided what the heck to give it a shot. It turned out the 81 and 94 have the same spline count.
I ended up losing cruise control but was able to keep the horn functional.
This option won't work on Toyota's past 95 due to airbags. Gives me one more option in the arsenal to keep the 4runner in my possession.

Old 03-19-2019, 04:40 PM
Fossilized
Staff

little update-
part of getting rid of the integrated auto transfer case to converted it to gear transfer cases is that you get rid of some auto transfer case solenoids and a mini valve body.
Getting rid of that stuff you have a small pan that can be eliminated so I chose to make an aluminum replacement plate
by https://www.flickr.com/photos/42814812@N06/, on Flickr

And had guest in the driveway.
Richard AKA redeth05 recently moved up from California to the area and needed a place to work on his brakes
his brakes were is pretty bad shape
might have been original parts
dueling swingouts
Old 03-28-2019, 05:39 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Never seen one of those removable Grant steering wheel kits. Been trying to figure out something security-wise for our rig, that may be the ticket!

Quick Reply: Dropzone's 1994 4runner Build AKA: Project Recycle: