86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

Doomys 87 Turbo 4runner Build thread

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2017, 05:37 PM

Received 831 Likes on 556 Posts
Originally Posted by coryc85
Your dad is awesome, nothing like some good fatherly advice.
​​​​​​​x2, good job, Dad!
Old 08-09-2017, 10:53 PM

Received 118 Likes on 67 Posts
Last night I was able to leave work exactly on time and was able to get to harbor freight about 5 minutes before they closed. 9 bucks later and I was jetting home. When I got there, my dad gave me a hand drilling and extracting the broken bolts. Other than the fact that we broke 3 el cheapo especial drill bits, we had no issues. After getting them out we determined that there was only 1 really bad hole but it could be saved with a thread repairer. Unfortunately, toyota used an M11x1.25 threaded bolt for this, so I didn't have a thread repair bit that would fit. Went on Amazon and the only cheap ones they had were Chinese junk and wouldn't be here for a week. So, I utilized my prime membership and overnighted an ARP bit. It cost near $50, however, considering the time crunch, I'll eat it. We also tried to straighten the nose cone thing on the TC, but it popped off with a light hit, so...cesta vie?

tonight was my oldest daughter's first back to school night. I ditched out on work early to go meet her classmates and teacher, and to see her interact with other kids. Truly an awesome feeling. After that we came home and I headed to the shop with my Neely acquired restorer. Took me about 40 minutes and what seems like half a can of oil, but I got all the threads cleaned up. The one that was truly bad was a bit rough and took the longest to fix. But I finally got it. Lots of junk metal removed, but it is now butter smooth with how it turns. Then i had doomy get to work with a file to get rid of the burs built up on the crank. It is nice and smooth now as well. My dad wasn't able to go by the wreckers to get the flex plate, so I will be doing that tomorrow after I drop my girl off for school for the first time.

so, tomorrow, take daughter to school and get the flex plate. Then back home to get it installed. I think i will be torquing to 80lb ft this time and maybe go overboard with the blue loctite. Then pick the girl up from school. Gonna take some time to hear all about her day. Then back to the shop to get the trans installed.

my dad is allowing doomy to drive his old work truck until we can get the runner registered and all good to go. It gets 10 mpg, has 330k miles and the rear dif, I'm pretty sure, is bone dry, but it's faithful. Been sitting for a year in one place. Gonna throw a new battery in her and she'll come right to life. That thing has never really let us down.

anyways, pics as usual.

Last edited by space-junk; 08-09-2017 at 11:06 PM.
Old 08-10-2017, 03:04 AM
Contributing Member

Received 463 Likes on 309 Posts
So happy you were able to straighten this out.
Old 08-10-2017, 03:37 AM

That photo of you and S-J senior will be precious someday. Save it.

You are almost there. The finish line is within sight!
Old 08-10-2017, 03:50 AM

Received 184 Likes on 132 Posts
What an emotional rollercoaster! Way to stick with it, I usually get myself upset over much less than you've dealt with in the last 3 pages of this thread. There's a lesson in here for all of us. I'll be relieved to see this thing moving under its own power.
Old 08-13-2017, 11:14 PM

Didn't get many pics from yesterday. Spent all afternoon in the shop working on the runner. Darkfairytales came over and lent me a hand and without his help, I wouldn't have gotten as far as I did.

so, whay did I get done? Well, new flex plate is in with gobs of blue loctite. Trans is installed. Trans is refilled. And, good news, no more knocking noise!(go figure, fix the problem and the noises go away). Shortly after Keith left for the night, I was able to back the truck from the shop. Put it in gear and drove about 100 feet where it shut off. When I tried to restart it, the fuel gauge was just flashing. Crank, but no start. After about 10 mins of cranking and looking, the fuel gauge stooped flashing, but still no crank. I even swapped out to my replacement COR I got and I can now hear the relay click, however still no start. So tonight, for the first night in over a year, the truck sleeps outside. Hopefully we can get it started tomorrow and drivable enough to take to the shop.
Old 08-14-2017, 04:33 AM
Contributing Member

Received 463 Likes on 309 Posts
IT MOVED!

Well, it did, even if only for a little bit.
Old 08-14-2017, 10:33 PM

Figured out why it wasn't running. Fuel pump gave up the ghost. Interesting timing... anyways, ordering a Denso pump would have taken me 2-3 weeks, so I grabbed a Delphi from autozone. Pulled the old one out and realized that the strainer was shot. So had to run back into town to get a strainer. Oreileys was the only store around who had one so we grabbed it and headed home. By the time we got home, sun was down, but we got the pump assembled and installed and took the truck for a spin. First time out in the big bad world and it was......underwhelming. it's gutless, but idk omif that's because of the misfire or because of the 4.10s and 32s. Basically, I couldn't get it up to 40 in a quarter mile. Lol. But she drives! Like a real vehicle! Under her own power.

I expect the 4.88s to really wake this truck up. I hope, at least. This week, we need to wash it, get the lugs swapped out and have the tires aired up, get the bumper and the hitch installed, stereo in, speakers in, and the list goes on and on and on.

anyways, pics as usual.

so thankful toyota made these easy to get to.

all ready to pull.

30 year old fuel pump. This thing is nasty nasty nasty.

Corrosion, rust, jellies fuel, and deteriorated rubber everywhere.

The strainer was so packed with bad fuel and debris that it sucked the filter clean off. It was k my attached on 1 side each.

This is the rubber isolator that the pump sits on. Either it melted, or the fuel had gotten so bad that it melted it. Either way, I had to scrape it off of the pump with my fingernail.

All assembled. Delphi pump and oreileys brand strainer. I'll eventually swap to a Denso, but I'll keep this as a spare. It's got a lifetime warranty.

Suffice it to say, it was dark when I wrapped this up. Thank God for my awesome Milwaukee electric swiveling head LED flashlight.

After the test drives, this is where she now lives until she's registered and smogged.

Old 08-15-2017, 02:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Awesome. Now you need to figure out what that check engine light is flashing for.
Old 08-15-2017, 03:07 AM

Received 69 Likes on 49 Posts
It drives!! Congrats!
​​​​​

​​​​​​
Old 08-15-2017, 03:29 AM

Originally Posted by 92ehatch
Awesome. Now you need to figure out what that check engine light is flashing for.
right! It's not the 32's w/4.10's making it doggy. That's what my truck has and it goes just fine if you wind it out. Yours will have less trouble because turbo.
Anyhow, congrats on getting to this phase!
Old 08-15-2017, 03:55 AM
RBX

Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts
Congrats! now get yourself an AFR Gauge so you can sort out your CEL and bog issue. Listening it sounds like a fuel regulator issue, could be dirty fuel filter(didn't read the whole thread to see if you replaced this during the build).
Old 08-15-2017, 08:24 AM

Received 331 Likes on 246 Posts
Cool! It lives!
Ffirst time I see that dashboard at night time, I like it. The clinometer for that model should be digital also
Old 08-15-2017, 04:02 PM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by SomedayJ
Cool! It lives!
Ffirst time I see that dashboard at night time, I like it. The clinometer for that model should be digital also
Digital would be certainly be cool, but cooler then that would have been if Toyota mad it standard for all models back in the day.
Old 08-16-2017, 10:58 AM

Originally Posted by magnet18
It drives!! Congrats!
​​​​​

​​​​​​
Thanks!

Originally Posted by 92ehatch
It flashes every time the motor misfires.

Originally Posted by Melrose 4r
right! It's not the 32's w/4.10's making it doggy. That's what my truck has and it goes just fine if you wind it out. Yours will have less trouble because turbo.
Anyhow, congrats on getting to this phase!
Thanks!

Originally Posted by RBX
Congrats! now get yourself an AFR Gauge so you can sort out your CEL and bog issue. Listening it sounds like a fuel regulator issue, could be dirty fuel filter(didn't read the whole thread to see if you replaced this during the build).
Didnt even think to check the FPR. Thanks for the heads up on that! Filter is brand new Toyota.

Originally Posted by SomedayJ
Cool! It lives!
First time I see that dashboard at night time, I like it. The clinometer for that model should be digital also
I wish! although, im not a huge fan of these gauges yet, i think because im not used to them. they are kinda cool, i guess.

Originally Posted by dark_fairytales
Digital would be certainly be cool, but cooler then that would have been if Toyota mad it standard for all models back in the day.
I think the technology wasnt where they needed it to be for mas production. Now, its no big dea, everyone had digital gauges, but 30 years ago, LEDs and the like were still fairly new to the public market.
Old 08-16-2017, 12:26 PM

If the cel flashes every time it misses and is storing a code then that could point you to the problem.

​​​​
Old 08-16-2017, 02:18 PM

It's not storing, unfortunately. I've checked.
Old 08-16-2017, 02:25 PM

Got home late last night because I was shopping for birthday stuff for my daughter after work. I did manage to get a set of wires that were depinned from their clip back in their place and I took some photos of the trucklites. If anyone knows what the coded green/yellow stripe and green/black stripe wires are for, please let me know. They go to the auto trans, but I don't k ow what they control. Tonight is going to be focused on cleaning the shop, the tools, and making sure I have everything in it's place. If there's time after, maybe I'll work on wiring the stereo and speakers.

lights off

low beams

High beams

Low beams.

High beams.

I think this proves that i need to clean the combo switch for the headlights.

Last edited by space-junk; 08-16-2017 at 04:42 PM.
Old 08-16-2017, 03:59 PM

Received 554 Likes on 452 Posts
Green black, green yellow

In my fsm those are trans temp.
Old 08-16-2017, 04:37 PM

Sweet. I love the older classics. Not many people like you and I that are willing to put the love into bringing them back. I've had mine in storage for 10yrs and just got serious a year ago about finishing mine. But I've owned my turbo since 1993.
I'm using LCE's turbo stage 1 cam and their Garret turbo kit. Just so you know, HKS makes a metal oversized thickness headgasket if you have to shave the head. That way you can keep the cam timing close.

Quick Reply: Doomys 87 Turbo 4runner Build thread