86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

coryc85's 1988 4Runner Build-Up Thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2012, 04:26 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
You been busy. Those speakers look great and I dont think I have ever had to put in a set of speakers with out bending the tab. Speaker holes cut into panels is frustrating. Shafts look great. I seen one light seperator in the boneyard here if you cant find one. I dont know for which side it is for, but will be there at the end of the week. Let me know which side and if you cant find one. The salvage guy here is reasonable for things like that.
Old 03-11-2012, 06:07 PM

Received 184 Likes on 132 Posts
Terry, wow thanks for the offer. It's the driver side light separator, and I would really appreciate it if you found one, the junkyard here don't have much. Why I love this site right here.
Old 03-13-2012, 08:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Awesome build so far man!!

Originally Posted by coryc85
Just received this yesterday:

Trail-gear RockRipper header and I ordered the air injection blockoff plates too. Will get it installed this weekend, hopefully my exhaust leaks are a thing of the past.
^This!? Trail-gear? Looks just like my lce header, edit that, looks BETTER than my lce header.
Old 03-14-2012, 04:01 AM

Streetlancer, thanks man. Yeah I'm pretty happy with the TG header so far. I really wanted an LCE, but price got the better of me and I went with TG.
Old 03-15-2012, 09:00 PM

Ahh too late to the party... I have a slightly used CV I could have gave you if you payed shipping but newer is always better. Nice to see another 22re build page with pictures and great ideas, subscribed.

PS. My trucks OP also drilled holes in the panels for speakers, it's kinda annoying because the doors are so skinny it's hard to find speakers that are shallow enough (I haven't looked to hard though). Is that hole in your frame where the speaker wire was run?
Old 03-17-2012, 12:39 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

I always put a little bend in them and they seem to fit fine. Pipes look great. I have run Pacesetter and I am sure there is better out there. One guy I know say to use a Toyota exhaust gasket for the best seal. I am about ready to try it. I just dont have any luck with other gaskets and I have tried a couple.
Old 03-28-2012, 09:03 AM

I've been out of commission for a few weeks, my son had some health issues that really scared us. He's doing much better now, and we can breathe easier now.

Terrys87 was extremely kind and found me a light separator for my drivers side tail light. I installed that yesterday, just take the cover off the light and insert it. Thank you so much Terry, that little light bleedover has bothered me for quite a while now.

Also, the weather has been mild this week, so I've been driving the 4Runner to work and I've noticed something is up with my brakes, and I think maybe it has to do with upgrading the the 1" master, wondering if I should have adjusted the booster push rod when I installed it. Still looking into this.

Got all my new winch rebuild parts, and I started painting the winch motor housing. Just primered for now, have to go pick up some charcoal gray semi-gloss.

Last edited by coryc85; 01-17-2013 at 06:45 AM.
Old 03-29-2012, 08:25 AM

Brake Issue

Yesterday on the way home, my brakes acted up again. Here is the issue, sometimes when I press the pedal, it is high and hard, like I am not getting any assist from the booster. The truck does brake and slow down, then the pedal will release, I will hear the vac escaping from the booster, like the valve finally opened and the pedal will go down and I will back to normal assisted braking.

I did some of the booster checks in the FSM. I push the pedal, start the engine and pedal goes down. Also I start the engine, shut it off and you are supposed to get at least 2 assisted pumps of the pedal, which I do.

I'm wondering if the check valve sticks sometimes, not allowing vacuum into the booster, anyone heard of this happening? I suppose I could remove it and drive the truck with no check valve around the block to see if it happens. My only problem is it seems intermittant so it's hard to know for sure. Can I clean that valve I wonder?
Old 03-29-2012, 09:56 AM

subscribed... great build. hope mine looks as good as this someday.
Old 03-29-2012, 06:35 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Hello Cory..Glad to hear your son is getting better. Glad the seperator worked for you. On the booster, I have a celica booster that I can look into. I have never messed with one. Is there a valve/checkball in there that you are talking about?

Brakes arent a strong point of mine but I can use the celicas as a learning experience. I will see if I can get to it tomorrow and see what I can find out about it.
Old 03-29-2012, 08:20 PM

Hey man glad to see your up and going again and your son is doing better. Not a brake expert myself but it does sound like that check valve is sticking.
Old 03-30-2012, 04:27 AM

Originally Posted by cwalstad
subscribed... great build. hope mine looks as good as this someday.
Thanks, checked out your build, you have done a LOT of work.

Originally Posted by Terrys87
Hello Cory..Glad to hear your son is getting better. Glad the seperator worked for you. On the booster, I have a celica booster that I can look into. I have never messed with one. Is there a valve/checkball in there that you are talking about?

Brakes arent a strong point of mine but I can use the celicas as a learning experience. I will see if I can get to it tomorrow and see what I can find out about it.
Terry - thank you so much for that separator, and yeah my son is pretty much back to normal now. On my 88, the check valve is a little white plastic piece on the firewall in the vac line from the manifold to booster. So I could remove it and possibly clean it. I just don't know much about boosters either, so I guess it could also be whatever mechanism moves inside there to release the vacuum getting stuck too. I mean all this stuff is 24 years old.

Congrats on getting that thing running Terry. I do one little thing and I'm happy, you can probably take the head off and put it back in an afternoon. You make quick work of these builds.

Originally Posted by ShakeZulla
Hey man glad to see your up and going again and your son is doing better. Not a brake expert myself but it does sound like that check valve is sticking.
Thanks Zulla, he is much better. Yeah I'm really wondering about the valve, I'll take it out this weekend and see if I can clean it. It clearly works like 90% of the time. Haven't checked your build in probably a week, so I'll read it today and see what's new.
Old 03-30-2012, 08:59 AM

Found the part number for the check valve: 44730-10010

It's in the upper left box of this picture, labeled as 44730. Apparently the same valve was used on lots of toyotas. Anyway, looks like about $27 to get new from Toyota. I'm going to remove mine, clean it and see if there is any way to check it.

Last edited by coryc85; 12-17-2012 at 08:16 AM.
Old 03-30-2012, 08:56 PM

Originally Posted by coryc85
Thanks Zulla, he is much better. Yeah I'm really wondering about the valve, I'll take it out this weekend and see if I can clean it. It clearly works like 90% of the time. Haven't checked your build in probably a week, so I'll read it today and see what's new.
Haha look carefully or you might miss my update. Ill post pics tomorrow been way too busy...
Old 04-04-2012, 12:56 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Hello Cory..I never made it to the Celica brake booster. Will try it again when things slow down here some. Hopefully in the next few days here soon.

I like the see what you can do attitude of fixing things. Sometimes a simple cleaning or just a little time can make a world of difference. Way to go.

As far as my fixes. Alot of that was out of desperation. I have done 5 of these 22re trucks and all but one SUPPOSEDLY needed a motor. Wound up all of them needed motor work. It was a quick learning experience. I actually enjoy it though. I just remember when I listened to others saying it was to expensive or not worth fixing and now I can take junk and make something I really like. It is a rewarding and a sense of accomplishment experience for me.
Old 04-04-2012, 06:26 AM

Terry, no worries on the Celica booster just yet. I'm much slower than you. I did, however, manage to pull the little white plastic check valve, and I blew through it with my mouth. I'm not sure if I imagined it or not, but it did seem to occasionally get stuck open because you should only be able to blow through it in one direction, but it seemed to every now and then let me blow a bit of air backwards through it before it would close.

So I soaked it in some warm soapy water, sloshed it around in there real good. Then rinsed it out, and blew through it some more. Seemed to have no problems closing up, so I put it back in the truck. I drove it a little bit on my street to make sure brakes were working, drove it last night about 2 miles to the gym, so far I have not noticed the symptoms, so I'll give it another run tonight to see.

By the way Terry, you are the master of low cost/no cost, just clean the part up and see what happens, so anything I do to save a buck here and there I attribute to reading your thread.

I've got some new 1" rear wheel cylinders to throw in the rear brakes, and I'm gearing up to pull the AC compressor, clean it up, flush everything, and replace those 2 large o-rings that Chef alerted me about.

There is an o-ring kit here that looks like it contains ALL the ac o-rings: http://www.ackits.com/merchant.mvc?S...ta884Runner2-4
Old 04-06-2012, 05:41 AM

Well, thought I was good with the brakes but no. I drove the truck to work yesterday morning, everything seemed fine. Drove home, and it acted up. I press the brakes and get a hard pedal, keep pressing and it finally gives. I'm pretty sure it's vacuum related, so I think maybe it's the booster. I'm going to run all the booster tests in the FSM again, but I have already done them once.

1. Pump pedal with engine off to release all vacuum, hold pedal, start engine, pedal should go down. Mine does.

2. Start engine, rev it, shut it off. Should get at least 2 assisted pumps of the pedal, which I do.

I think there was one more, but can't remember it right now. I feel like the booster is not releasing it's internal valving when I press the pedal. Don't really know anything about it's internal construction, and seems to happen more when it's hot outside, so it's hard to test my theory. I'll see what else I can test on the booster, but might have to end up replacing it.
Old 04-06-2012, 06:04 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

I scanned your thread and didnt see if you had ever checked master cylinder. Those I have had to change. I follow so many threads, it is hard to keep up with. From my experince, I have never changed the booster. They seem to be really solid. But it does sound like a booster/flow problem.
Old 04-06-2012, 07:11 AM

Terry - I did change the master a few months ago. I put a 1" bore MC, it was used, but looked to be in pretty good shape and I'm almost certain my brakes did this same thing before I changed it. I'm not really an expert on brakes, but it seems like I am getting no assist, then suddenly I get assist, which to me seems like a booster issue. Even when the pedal is high and hard, the truck is braking, so I suspect the master cylinder is pushing fluid (and I have watched the level and it's definitely NOT leaking). I'll go thru the booster tests again, my Chilton's had some additional tests that the FSM did not, so I'll see if there is any way for me to troubleshoot it further. I have never had to change a booster on any car I have owned, failures do seem pretty rare.
Old 04-08-2012, 03:18 PM

On the AC front, I pulled the compressor out today. Not terribly difficult, had to remove the PS belt to get the AC belt off, then unhook the AC hoses, unhook the little AC clutch electrical connector, and remove the 4 bolts holding the compressor in.

Of course I'm gonna clean that compressor up, it's covered in grease and mud. I wanna flush all the lines, some AC sites said to use mineral spirits and compressed air. Replace all the o-rings, including the 2 large ones under the hi and lo shrader valves. I have a vac pump I bought from HF a few years ago, so I'll be able to make sure I get all the moisture and that there are no leaks.

The brakes are still an enigma. There were only 2 tests in Chilton's regarding the booster, both of which I have already mentioned above so I won't repeat them here. The only thing I can think of is that the booster has some kind of internal bind, but it's only sometimes. I don't think the check valve is bad based on my scientific "blow thru it" method. I think I may just start watching the classifieds for a good deal on a booster and see if that fixes it.

Last edited by coryc85; 12-17-2012 at 08:15 AM.

Quick Reply: coryc85's 1988 4Runner Build-Up Thread