86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

ChefYota4x4's 1987 4Runner Build-Up Thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2011, 11:34 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I just wanted the 1000th post thats all.
Nothing Follows
Old 01-11-2011, 11:37 AM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Hahahahhaa..... Ok, well, I'll take 1002 and post the video again, for those who WILL NOT go back a page, ......sound ok? lol..... Hooah!

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n-dQ6s1gMjo[/url2]

Last edited by ChefYota4x4; 01-11-2011 at 11:38 AM.
Old 01-11-2011, 11:39 AM

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by GonOvr
I just wanted the 1000th post thats all.
Nothing Follows

But you missed 1001...
Old 01-11-2011, 11:39 AM

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Lol Well torsion bars are completely stock level.
Idk if its the lift, tires or what, but it rides like a golf cart.

I went to Rough Country and got 4 RC9000 series with a steering stabalizer.
I could tell a slight difference, but it wasn't much at all.
Old 01-11-2011, 11:40 AM

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by ChefYota4x4
Thanks, homie! Hey, do you think the video quality is ok? I was thinking of getting an actual video camera(not just for this stuff, you know what I mean)... and yet, if the Nikon Coolpix is working ok, I guess "why bother", is what I'm wondering, lol. After all, been spending quite a bit on the rig, lol.
The video is fine for me. I am using a coolpix also, Hhmmm. I need to figure out how to shoot and upload a video!
Old 01-11-2011, 11:46 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Well at least you got the Hooah right Chef.
Lumpy, Quad 1 will come around and ill get that one maybe. Probably be in Korea so maybe not...
Old 01-11-2011, 12:03 PM

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts
Just had a chance to watch the vid...Looks good. I'm sorry I'm a bit behind on this thread, ton going on around here. At least you got it...
Old 01-11-2011, 12:05 PM

Originally Posted by Bojangles
Lol Well torsion bars are completely stock level.
Idk if its the lift, tires or what, but it rides like a golf cart.

I went to Rough Country and got 4 RC9000 series with a steering stabalizer.
I could tell a slight difference, but it wasn't much at all.
Hahaha.... Well, I've heard similar opinions about that shock you have, as well as Rancho RS5000's and a couple others, .... STIFF AS A KIDNEY STONE! Lol. That's one reason I went with the OME's, ...I've heard pretty much only good things, especially important to me; The fact that those with stiffer shocks, even new, went to OME's and REALLY loved em. If they don't help..... I'll just maim someone with a hammer, nothing firearm related, don't worry, lol. ....where is my Beretta? Nevermind, lol.

Originally Posted by yotarob2005
The video is fine for me. I am using a coolpix also, Hhmmm. I need to figure out how to shoot and upload a video!
I'll gladly tell you how... really easy. PM me, k?

Originally Posted by GonOvr
Well at least you got the Hooah right Chef.
Lumpy, Quad 1 will come around and ill get that one maybe. Probably be in Korea so maybe not...
"AT LEAST?" HEY, lol. Jk... Actually, I'm far more used to saying "OOHRAH", and yet I "got it right" without any sarcasm, hehehe. Jk again... and PLEASE, BE SAFE, GONOVR! Thanks, SO MUCH, for your service, brudda!
Old 01-11-2011, 12:07 PM

Thanks, Lumpy, ...... it's a great feeling to have to turn it DOWN, instead of pounding on the dash, exclaiming, "Dagnabbit!" lol.

Jk, I don't say that, hahaha...but you kwim!
Old 01-11-2011, 12:08 PM

OH YEAH... Gonovr, ......also, THANX AGAIN for all your help, previously! Much appreciated! You got's skills, bud!
Old 01-11-2011, 12:13 PM

Hahahahaha i hear ya.

My buddie convinced me that those RC9000's were the shizz
But i wasn't happy with them at all.

I think next time ill do a little bit more research first.
Old 01-11-2011, 12:15 PM

Received 69 Likes on 48 Posts
Have not had the time to sit down and watch the video yet, so I don't know how you fixed it but good job.
Old 01-11-2011, 02:41 PM

Hahahahaha i hear ya.

My buddie convinced me that those RC9000's were the shizz
But i wasn't happy with them at all.

I think next time ill do a little bit more research first.
sounds like a good plan! You'll find TONS of conflicting info, ....but if a huge percentage of South African and Outback Wheelers swear by something..... it can't be all bad, right? So I went for it, lol. We'll see. I can't return em, so I hope they're GREAT! lol.

Originally Posted by xxxtreme22r
Have not had the time to sit down and watch the video yet, so I don't know how you fixed it but good job.
Cool, hope you like the video and that MAYBE, it can help someone save some time and maybe unnecessary work or even carnage. lol. I'm out for a while, but later tonight, I'll do a write up for those who don't have audio. Actually, was going to do a thread for "heater cores and such" anyway, .....think someone beat me to it, so I'll just post on his thread, lol. Thanks, Brandon, ...you're always a great help and often encouragement... course, the kick in the rump at times isn't a bad thing either, eh? hahah.
Old 01-11-2011, 03:34 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
first off nice build.
I think its funny that the trottle body butterfly looked like it was bed linerd.
Old 01-11-2011, 03:50 PM

Received 69 Likes on 48 Posts
ahhhh the ole flapper is stuck trick. hahaha yup that would also cause no heat.
Old 01-11-2011, 05:43 PM

Bahahaha!!!!
"My heads upside down, sorry if im talking weird...Im starting to sound like a smurf here...heh heh heh."
Old 01-11-2011, 08:16 PM

Originally Posted by Trail_Time_4x4
first off nice build.
I think its funny that the trottle body butterfly looked like it was bed linerd.
Hahaha, yep, ...it was SO FRIGGEN HARD, ....literally petrified goop, lol. Howeverrrrrr, ...nothing a lil throttle body cleaner and a wire brush couldn't zap out in a jif. Actually, ...no kiddin, that ENTIRE motor, brackets, steering pump, alternator, timing cover, head and intake could have filled a big gulp, ....TWICE, with the hardened grease I scraped and cleaned off that sucker. That's not including the front diff, firewalls, etc., etc. .... Thanks, TT! Appreciated much!

Originally Posted by xxxtreme22r
ahhhh the ole flapper is stuck trick. hahaha yup that would also cause no heat.
YEP, ....I'm pretty sure my core was CLEAN AS A WHISTLE. ....although, I'd never think of a whistle as clean, ...rather, covered in someone else slobber. Yeah, clean as a Magic Johnson Movie Theater floor....ok, never mind, hahahah. It was flowing REALLY well, let's put it that way. That's why both hoses were hot as hell. The control valve WAS, however, really sticky. LOVE that silicone in a spray can stuff, man! Worked great on the dashpot, too. Wait, it actually worked too good, lol..... Worked so good on that, I ended up with almost no resistance, lol. It's working now though.

Bahahaha!!!!
"My heads upside down, sorry if im talking weird...Im starting to sound like a smurf here...heh heh heh."
Hahahaa. Seriously, I started to sound really funny as the blood rushed to my head, lol. OHHHHHHHHH the things I'd do for Yotatech! lol. Really stoked, and hey, I REALLY don't mind being razzed over winding up with a simple solution to what I thought was a PITA. I'VE HAD PLENTY of PITA's, ...and bottom line, ...IT WORKS LOL. Hope all's well, Bo, ....have a good one, guys,

Mark
Old 01-17-2011, 10:56 PM

Lil ticked off, ..lol.

Both my top left and top right exhaust studs are seemingly stripped, ....or at least backed out enough that they're not grabbing but the locknut is all the way in, ya know? lol. Regardless of what it is, I might just have to be pulling the manifold(header) now, ...GRRR! lol.

Oh well, time to find out, .....should I just call LCE tomorrow and order another set?...or go to Yota? .....or just get some stainless from some other aftermarket source? Also, I have to ream the slots pretty well, this time.....I don't think they're getting a good bite, at least on those two, ....and MY BAD, I never REALLY heavily cleaned em out when redoing everyting, .....again, .....GRRR! lol.

thanks for any input, guys.... I should have time to do this, maybe tomorrow(of course, only if I CAN FIND the studs! .........grrr! hahah)
Old 01-18-2011, 10:22 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
this is from Stubs on Pirate..

STRIPPED EXHAUST STUD REPAIR/FIX

For those of you who have the stripped stud syndrome, here's your solution.........

NAPA BALKAMP HELICOIL METRIC THREAD REPAIR KIT
SIZE: M10X1.25
PART#7703020

HELICOIL THREAD REPAIR METRIC KIT
SIZE: M10X1.25-12
INSERT PART#HEL-5543-10

These are available from any Napa auto parts store........or any brand thread repair(Helicoil type) size M10x1.25 will work.

add this companies gasket..
http://remflex.com
Old 01-18-2011, 12:12 PM

Thanks, outsane, much appreciated. I'd posted once before for XXX that I have that very kit. Just can't find it all the sudden.... of COURSE, lol. However, I'm kinda wondering if anyone thinks that the stainless studs from LCE or other places are worth it? I've had them in quite a while and they're not even discolored, yet. Of course, I guess that could be normal, lol.

I think I have a couple of them backwards,(short amount of thread in). I believe this is because I couldn't get them to go in far enough or something. Stupid choice, I know, but I was really new to all this back then, March of 2010. The rest seem to need tightening less and less, as I've broken in the motor a bit and heated it up and down a bit. But those upper left and right ones? They just spin as I try to torque em down..........

The REASON I think they might not be stripped;

* When I turn/tighten them down, they're not biting and then letting go... they just turn with the same resistance every time(maybe 5-10lbs.?).

* I think what happened is that, as I tightened them down a couple times, the studs had backed out a bit, but they(the studs) didn't go back in when I torqued on the locknuts.

I'm going to try to turn the nuts with a wrench(open end) and see if the stud is turning with the nut. I'm SURE that's likely, as the nut being stripped is REALLY not likely at all, being brand new, etc. Guess I just never made sure the studs got in deep enough,....OY VEY! lol.

Quick Reply: ChefYota4x4's 1987 4Runner Build-Up Thread