86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

bruno4turbo 1986 pickup build up thread

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2013, 07:58 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by bruno4turbo
I live with my dad, but he works full time, and he's a PITA to work with... I'm 110 at 5'4" going to school to work on cars. I could do it, but I'd rather play it safe. I have 2 large dogs runnin around the whole time. and the 4" lift makes it a little hard to just lift it up laying down. its just a hair to tall. no garage either, just a large cement slab in the "side" yard. once I pull it, if it has to sit for a while my dad said I could used the kitchen table as a work bench (men...) lol

I have my dad living with me to help him out for a bit. Dad's are a pain in the butt to work with. I'm 33 and he still forgets that I'm an adult with adult experience.

Good thing I love the ol grump.
Old 04-25-2013, 08:14 AM

[QUOTE=Gizler00;52064895]
Originally Posted by 93Xtra-Cab

It truly is very sad. It's happening all over the place. I grew up in PA and went to teaching school there. Then taught auto in Illinois before it got down sized and now teach in Iowa where they are cutting us down fast. It's crazy. Takin basic skill away from students like auto, woodworking, plumbing, building tech.... And replacing it with more art classes or music classes.

Part of it is North Americas attitude to the blue collar slob. I'm Canadian but this attitude has effected the whole continent. Many times the first thing people ask is where you went to school. They seem a bit let down if you are a tradesman. Funny thing is most of us earn more than the white collar worker, if you are willing to move where the work is.

I lived overseas for 8 years in Europe and Australia. You don't see this attitude so much in the UK and in Australia the blue collar man rules. There should be more emphasis on trades with a change in attitude. You are not a failure if you work with your hands. Take pride in what you are good at.

Oh and University graduate jobs pay like ˟˟˟˟e. Have fun with that student loan, I bought a house when I got my certificates.

Not that I am against a good education, I'm just not geared for a desk job. I got into trades a bit late not knowing that's what I'm best suited for.

//End Rant

I'm going to bail on scaffolding in the next couple years. Going to retrain as a mechanic. I want to get paid to enjoy motor sports.

I've done my time in the mines now. I'm ready to be home more.

Bruno, is your schooling an apprenticeship? Will you work and earn while you learn?

Nice truck, love the yellow.

----

Last edited by Red Wagon; 04-25-2013 at 08:36 AM.
Old 04-25-2013, 08:46 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
No it isn't an apprenticeship. I wish it was , would be nice to get some money haha. Sadly no its just a school, the school has federal work study program where you can work in the tool crib during your off period (4hrs) but it's not an ideal job. After I graduate tho, my sisters (3) sell cars at the same dealership and the service manager can't wait to hire me ; I do agree that most of the country (mainly the coast lines) do frown on the blue collar, my mothers' friends where all very disappointed that I didn't go to a big UC or CSU; my mom wasn't to happy either, but hey, I'm the only kid of 5 that loves their school, and have a reasonably solid plan for the future. Recently it seams that everyone has accepted that I want to be a grease monkey, probably because I keep pulling top of my class and their cars break; I come and either fix the easy stuff, or give them a decent diagnosis that saves them money
Old 04-25-2013, 08:47 AM

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
[QUOTE=CDN-SMOKEJUMPER;52070475]
Originally Posted by Gizler00

Part of it is North Americas attitude to the blue collar slob. I'm Canadian but this attitude has effected the whole continent. Many times the first thing people ask is where you went to school. They seem a bit let down if you are a tradesman. Funny thing is most of us earn more than the white collar worker, if you are willing to move where the work is.

I lived overseas for 8 years in Europe and Australia. You don't see this attitude so much in the UK and in Australia the blue collar man rules. There should be more emphasis on trades with a change in attitude. You are not a failure if you work with your hands. Take pride in what you are good at.

Oh and University graduate jobs pay like ˟˟˟˟e. Have fun with that student loan, I bought a house when I got my certificates.

Not that I am against a good education, I'm just not geared for a desk job. I got into trades a bit late not knowing that's what I'm best suited for.

//End Rant

I'm going to bail on scaffolding in the next couple years. Going to retrain as a mechanic. I want to get paid to enjoy motor sports.

I've done my time in the mines now. I'm ready to be home more.

Bruno, is your schooling an apprenticeship? Will you work and earn while you learn?

Nice truck, love the yellow.

----

I couldn't agree more. So many people frown on Trades but have no Idea the capability to make alot of money and have a good career that you enjoy. I did cement work for 5 years, was in the plumbers union for just shy of 3 years, and worked as a technician for many years. All making more money than I am now as an instructor.

I have former students that are now technicians making 23+ $ an hour and are only 21 years old.
Old 04-25-2013, 08:51 AM

Along with making decent money, tradesmen/women usually have better working hours (unless you're the boss/owner), at the dealership where my sisters work the techs get Saturday and Sunday off, while the sales reps get random week days off (ex. Monday/Tuesday, Wednesday/Thursday etc) so they can have full floor staff on weekends. Also techs get off work a 5pm every day, the dealership doesn't close until 7pm. If there's a sale going on, they won't leave until it's done, which occasionally means 10pm

Last edited by bruno4turbo; 04-25-2013 at 08:53 AM.
Old 04-25-2013, 09:11 AM

I don't like calling a girl a tradeswoman. I still call them a tradesman, journeyman - she did the time and earnt the title that goes with it. Trades are and probably will remain male dominated. The girls who fit in best tend to be one of the "boys" to an extent of course. Good manners (which can be stretched at a job site) around a lady should be observed somewhat. You'll still find pigs though. My missus was asked while in the cab of a mining excavator for a ride along if she wears mini-skirts etc in town.... She works in HR and resolved it on her own quietly. I didnt even find out about it until I left that site. We got a rare opportunity to work away at the same site. She was right, I was mad when she told me....

Nice point on the hours Bruno.

I hope to have my own mechanic shop in the future. I want to be open Tuesday to Saturday. Monday is the best day off.

Like NoFx? Go Mondays!

Take a look into the resources industry in your area. The work trucks need repairs as well. If you get a camp job you are looking at 6 figures to turn a wrench. I'm thinking of chasing a mechanic apprenticeship that way. My biggest hold up is the massive pay cut I will take upon retraining from my current trade. A mining apprenticeship will really help limit that.

Also, as a lady you are in a unique position where there is a worldwide recruiting drive for women in trades. The large companies love looking good by artificially inflating hiring numbers for women and minorities. Take advantage of any edge you can get, no shame in that. I'm trying to get my treaty card for my aboriginal heritage. I'd love to tick the status box instead of non-status treaty indian on an application. That goes double for apprenticeship positions.

My fiance got her entire university education paid for. Big companies LOVE a success story.

Good luck and enjoy. I'll be following your wrenching adventures.

---

Last edited by Red Wagon; 04-25-2013 at 09:30 AM.
Old 04-25-2013, 09:35 AM

I do agree about the title, and personally I don't care, but working with my mom who is a Landscape contractor I've been raised to differentiate. Also I am totally "one of the boys" so I'm used to it. Speaking of the work trucks, my dad is a truck driver for United Rentals (the large semi trucks with cranes) so I know plenty about working on them, and most of my teachers are retired fleet workers. Most agree its great work. Personally I didn't want to start at a dealership, for experience reasons I wanted to start an apprenticeship at a smaller mom/pop shop, but of course my sisters working all working at the same dealership its only fitting that the whole family take over (bwahaha) lol. I believe it's a good way to get my student loans paid off, and take some night classes on business management and owning your own shop type classes so that I can one day open my own shop properly. I may hop on a fleet job for a while since they make good money tho. Personally I'm finding a liking to transmissions and differentials so I may go into being a gears person. I'm not sure yet, I still have 10 months before I graduate so I do have a little more time to see where I'm going

as far as the "good manners" I'm not the "run to the boss over little ˟˟˟˟" kinda girl, if it becomes a problem I have no problem putting someone in their place. I expect the rude to be around, and accept that I choose a path that would put me in their sights.

also "men aren't pigs. pigs are intelligent loving creatures"
Old 04-25-2013, 11:50 AM

Looks like you have the right can do attitude for success. Don't even need to wish you luck.

---
Old 04-25-2013, 05:04 PM

thanks lol
Old 04-25-2013, 07:43 PM

Originally Posted by bruno4turbo
Along with making decent money, tradesmen/women usually have better working hours (unless you're the boss/owner), at the dealership where my sisters work the techs get Saturday and Sunday off, while the sales reps get random week days off (ex. Monday/Tuesday, Wednesday/Thursday etc) so they can have full floor staff on weekends. Also techs get off work a 5pm every day, the dealership doesn't close until 7pm. If there's a sale going on, they won't leave until it's done, which occasionally means 10pm
Forgot about that. When I was a tech we had every night off and Sundays. Had to work one Saturday a month. Great schedule!
Old 04-25-2013, 07:45 PM

You definitely have a good head on your shoulders. That's for sure.

Now more truck pics!!! Haha
Old 04-30-2013, 08:38 AM

got a jack finally, and now the transmission is down haha. next is power wash, bag it and bring it to school
a little blurry but here's what an $80 800lb jack looks like

had to do some impromptu bush trim so we could get to the passenger side lol

and we finally got this puppy out little shimmy but he didn't fight to much

and can't do it without some coffee, even if it has a little transmission flavor.. lol
Old 04-30-2013, 03:10 PM
Contributing Member

Good on the progress! It'll be interesting to see what you find inside.
Old 04-30-2013, 09:01 PM

i hope its a boring normal transmission haha no surprises would be good
Old 04-30-2013, 09:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lol, I've noticed that I don't like it when my truck surprises me either
Old 05-01-2013, 08:27 AM

only when i'm on the trails and someone says "bet you can't make that" and my reply usually is "yea probably not, but can't hurt to much to try" and then turbo makes it no problem... that's always a nice surprise haha
Old 05-01-2013, 04:55 PM
Contributing Member

Oh, I meant surprise as in just a routine failure by water damaged parts.
Old 05-01-2013, 05:03 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Nice truck.

Nice color, I dig it!
Old 05-01-2013, 06:38 PM

Originally Posted by Swimmerboy2112
Nice truck.

Nice color, I dig it!
thanks nice runner yourself, to bad you sold it

Last edited by bruno4turbo; 05-01-2013 at 06:40 PM.
Old 05-02-2013, 05:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lookin good chica!!! Didn't know you were even tearing into it! haha That should be fun!! Looks like there's a little more going on with that thing than your standard trans. Going to be a fun one!!

And i think Marlin has all the good stuff you'll need for that.

Quick Reply: bruno4turbo 1986 pickup build up thread