86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

bbrideau's 88 22re 4runner Build-up/rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2013, 12:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ya its very minimal but i remember it being there. I will have some pics of the bags and shocks some of wiring stuff for meth injection later on! Gotta get back to wiring
Old 12-16-2013, 09:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
okay so. Got a few pictures of what all was installed. This is all on a 1994 Hilux Surf 1KZTE Turbo Diesel Automatic.

Unfortunately i could not get pictures of the air bags or new shocks before he left for his trip down to California but if anyone down there sees a green 94 hilux surf towing a small camper trailer (prolly from the 80's) that's the one i put all the work into. The air bags were from Airlift and the shocks were some nice shiny new Bilsteins. It didn't say which billys they were on the box jsut said Bilstein HD's (maybe someone could clarify what they are)

I do have some pictures of the meth injection system though and I will explain as best i can to how the system is normally installed and then how I installed it as per his request.

my apology for the cellphone pics

Okay so first up is the Primary Trans cooler. He had installed a very small one in front of the rad previously because the original radiator for the 1kz had a trans cooler in it but had since been replaced. We agreed that he will keep both coolers as the original he installed although helped it was very minimal on what it did and he tows a camper behind the hilux and the Primary can always be shut off and bypassed when he's not towing.
Name:  20131208_125058.jpg
Views: 55
Size:  104.5 KB

Next is Devil's own pump and reservoir. Not to much to explain on that one. just had to drill 2 holes, one for low level alarm and one for the feed to the pump.
Name:  20131206_154434.jpg
Views: 51
Size:  79.3 KB

Here is the solenoids and boost pressure switches and some nozzles
Name:  20131206_154508.jpg
Views: 52
Size:  104.5 KB

Pre Turbo M1 nozzle, very fine mist and very small amount of output. There is a lot of controversy behind putting your meth injection nozzle pre turbo as it can cause pitting and scaling on cheaper turbo's I did a lot of reading and talked to a lot of guys that have this set up on their 1kzte and they have run it for years with no issue. Ultimately it is up to the customer I just give my findings to him and he picks what he wants.
Name:  20131206_154354.jpg
Views: 100
Size:  127.0 KB

Post Turbo, Pre TB M2 Nozzle. Will explain the reasoning behind this shortly. Notice the frost on everything? that is because it was -30 to -40 celsius the whole time i did all this work.
Name:  20131206_154325.jpg
Views: 44
Size:  106.7 KB

We decided to mount the boost pressure switches and solenoids onto a metal bar attached to an auxiliary power block he had previously installed in the rig.
On left is boost pressure switches on right is solenoids. Pressure sensor on far left is a 2-10PSI switch set to 5 PSI and the one beside it is a 5-30 PSI set to 13PSI. Solenoids on other side are linked to the pressure switches the 2-10PSI is linked to Pre Turbo nozzle and the other is hooked to Post Turbo pre TB
Name:  20131208_155704.jpg
Views: 97
Size:  116.6 KB

This is the conundrum of wiring. The original wiring is setup similar to this but normally run all through one relay without solenoids. This method was decided on to prevent any dripping in the system when it is not in boost or if the system is infact turned off. Switches were wired in for each solenoid and for the pump itself. Note the switches and the fuse's were moved to Pole 30 on the relay, NOT 85.
Name:  20131206_154410.jpg
Views: 49
Size:  68.0 KB

Normally everything is run through a single relay and has no switch so the system is usually 100% active unless the motor is not building boost. The customer wanted the ability to turn the system off so if he was not hauling or did not feel the need to run the system he could flip a switch and thus not have it run. He also wanted the ability to just use one nozzle at a time for lighter loads or of course turn all three switches on and have full power to the system. Normally the system runs without solenoids and the boost pressure switch is wired to the relay, when boost hits the certain threshold it provides ground to the relay and energizes the pump and then pumps from there to the nozzle. Installing the solenoids and switches just provided a better way to control the system. I would highly recommend installing solenoids and switches when installing the system that way if you run into any problems you can simply turn the system off and not worry about blowing up your truck. When he gets back i will get some finished product pictures of the switches and the system all buttoned up. For anyone not familiar with water/methanol injection systems; they reduce Exhaust gas temps, lower combustion cylinder temps and actual boost octane of your mixture in combustion cylinder. It can be VERY dangerous to inject too much into the cylinders as well as very dangerous to mix to much methanol into the water/meth mixture, you should never run more than 50% meth to water, EVER, any higher and you risk ruining a perfectly good motor. Keep in mind these systems are not a bandaid to fix current issues with your motor it is a system to help aid in performance. Keep in mind I am not affiliated with nor do I work for DevilsOwn, it was just the system the customer wanted installed.

The system itself is actually quite simple to install if you do it the devils own way. Even the method that this was installed is relatively easy once you figure out what needs to go where. The difficult part was getting the courage to start drilling holes in intake manifolds that are hard to come by

As far as installing one of these systems into a NA 22re or 3VZ, it is possible the question is it practical. Personally I don't see it as practical just for the simple fact they do not run boost, It could be a potential aid in saving the prone 3VZ head gasket failure from happening though. It was a treat working on the runner, Not every day you get to personally run your hands and wrenches over a JDM Hilux.