86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

Alan's Classic' 1986 4Runner Build-Up Thread - Project "No Name"

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2010, 08:19 PM

Received 94 Likes on 66 Posts
That panel work is an art! What brand of body filler do you recommend? Does the red Runner run better with the black top?
Old 07-15-2010, 02:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DanStew
Nice collection!!!!

Originally Posted by toyomoto
wounderful job. looks great!

Originally Posted by Nervo19
That panel work is an art! What brand of body filler do you recommend? Does the red Runner run better with the black top?
Thanks, I use Rage extreme by evercoat. In the summer it gets pretty runny. So it's hard to control for some. I love it, but is fairly expensive almost $40/gal

I have a delimma. I need a roof panel and rt apron and radiator support for the red 86. I also need the doors, hinges and right fender. The delimma is should I cut the 89 up and use parts for the 86 or just sell the 89 like it is. The 89 runs but has a major oil leak at the front crank seal. The condition of all of the other systems on the 89 are unknown. The body on the 89 is pretty good and rust free. I just don't know if I should cut it or find a totaled one and get the parts from it. I think it will be cheaper just to cut the 89 and sell the engine drive train and body (what's left). Maybe somebody wanting to build a rock crawler or mud buggy would want it.
Old 07-15-2010, 02:49 PM
Contributing Member

Awesome job on the patch. That's a skill I really want to learn, I just don't know if I have the patience for it.

I vote sell the '89 and find one that's already been wrecked that you can cut what you need off of. I would hate to see a perfectly fixable and in relatively good shape 4Runner go under the knife as a donor. But it's your truck and would most likely be the cheaper route.
Old 07-15-2010, 03:45 PM

Originally Posted by 90RunnerRed
Awesome job on the patch. That's a skill I really want to learn, I just don't know if I have the patience for it.

I vote sell the '89 and find one that's already been wrecked that you can cut what you need off of. I would hate to see a perfectly fixable and in relatively good shape 4Runner go under the knife as a donor. But it's your truck and would most likely be the cheaper route.
Thanks and here are some more pics to base a decision on.

Notice the floor where they backed into a pole. It can be fixed pretty easy.

Now the 86 with the black top. It does run better with the black top. LOL

Some butchery I want to remove

Old 07-17-2010, 05:43 AM

I got some new skins yesterday, but it wasn't that easy. HAHA. It's a really popular tire store in Jasper GA. The tire guy was booked so they had the mechanic do the mount and balance. He got done and I inspected his work. On the inside of both rights some of the tire weights were barely hanging on. I pointed it out. He messed around for about another 15 minutes. Saying all the time how hard it was to get weights to saty on. I told him you got the other weights good-n-tight. I inspected again wasn't very happy, but told him we will see. Within a mile I slung a small one off and lost a big one off the inside of the front within 2 miles. Boy did that big one make a rackit bouncing under the truck and 55 miles per hour. LOL. I called them and took it back. They tried stick one weights on the inside of all 4. I was cruiseing about 60 and about 5 miles down the road a big string of weights flew off. It sounded like shrapnal (sp) I don't know how many cars the weights hit because I was surrounded by cars. No one freaked out behind me when all of this happened. By this time the tire store was closed. I've mounted and balanced my fair share of wheels and tires and have never had a problem doing so. I just don't have access to a tire machine any more. So now I have to go back Monday and see if they can get it right.

Old 08-10-2010, 07:37 PM

Nothing exciting going on here. Trying to get the vibrations out of the 95. First I changed the rotors and pads that help the pulsating brakes. Replaced the 2 front tires. Wanted new mudders, but cash is short. Now battling a drive line vibration. Looking like U joints, but needs further inspection.

Still need too address the CSI among other things on the 86.
Old 09-22-2010, 03:24 PM

I'm still lurking here. I did get part of a rear bumper made. It's not much, but better than nothing. I'm not done with it yet. Need to extend it along the quarter panel add more bracing and paint.

I might have the 89 chassis sold. I'm keeping the body so I can scavenge what I need to make the 86 better. It's not a done deal yet. I got more than what I paid for the 89 and still getting what I need. Plus I'm keeping the wheels to sell for more cash.
Old 10-15-2010, 04:27 PM

I traded the 95.

I'm trying to get some body work done. I was going to use the TG off the 89 parts truck. It didn't have any rust, but beat down pretty bad. The 86 TG has a little spot of rust, but is fairly straight. I think it will be easier to repair the rust spot. I'll post some pics when I start the repairs.
Old 10-23-2010, 03:53 PM

Surgery is starting. I decided to take off what I need off fo the 89. Started with the right fender.

Doors on the 89 weren't in too bad shape.

Not sure if I will use the TG oof of the 89. It needs some work, but the 86 is rusted along the bottom. I'm thinking it would be easier to repair the dents than battle the rust.

Removed the windshield. The glass guys make it look easy.

Got everything out of the way.

I removed the whole top. Not sure what I will need when I cut into the 86. I'm thinking I will only need the roof skin and pillar skins.

Old 10-29-2010, 07:58 PM

Pretty cool to see the bodywork side of things. Most of the buildups here involve the mechanical aspects more than the cosmetic. Nothing wrong with that, but most of us are better at nuts and bolts than sheet metal. Keep up the good work.
Old 11-02-2010, 04:27 PM

Originally Posted by Asha'man
Pretty cool to see the bodywork side of things. Most of the buildups here involve the mechanical aspects more than the cosmetic. Nothing wrong with that, but most of us are better at nuts and bolts than sheet metal. Keep up the good work.
Thanks Brian, I'll post what ever gets done. I'm working on 2 different projects so progress will be some what slow.

I traded what was left of the 89 to a guy at work. He wanted the running gear and chassis to make a rock buggy. So I ended up with the body. I cut off the front aprons and radiator support today. I seperated it at the factory joints. They are pretty easy to get out with a spot weld bit and a air hammer.

trying to get everything ready so it won't be down too long when the surgery starts. I've got to get what I cut off today cleaned and prepped and trimmed out for the install.
Old 11-03-2010, 12:38 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Subscribed. Great build so far.
Old 11-06-2010, 02:37 PM

Originally Posted by bend
Subscribed. Great build so far.
Thanks!!

I got the roof skin cut off. The hardest part was at the brazed joint at the windshield. I didn't mutilate it too bad.

First I had to remove the urethane for the windshield. There are several different ways and tools. I just heated up a putty knife and cut it off. Then cleaned the remainder with a purple roloc hamburger wheel.

By doing that it reveals the spot welds.

Here is the brass joint.

After drilling the spot welds and cutting thru the brass with a cut off wheel I used this air hammer to bust the spot welds loose.

Here it is cut off

I then hammer and dollied the flanges to get them back in shape. Dressed the metal down and sprayed weld thru primer on the back side where I will be rewelding. There was only surface rust. I tried to take care of the structure just in case I need some of it on the 86.
Old 11-11-2010, 08:03 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
nice work, cant wait to see how it turns out
Old 01-15-2011, 10:28 PM
RMA
Contributing Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
wow! alot of nice work .. wish i would have seen this thread when you were taking the time to share . anyway ,thanks !
Old 01-16-2011, 05:51 AM

Thanks, I'm still around. Trying to get a place cleaned out in the shop so I can cut the roof off. I'll be sure to post pics.
Old 05-14-2011, 06:20 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
any progress?
Old 05-15-2011, 06:27 AM

I'm still here, but no progress. It looks like a winter project right now. I want to take the top off and drive this summer. I will post progress when I start. . Thanks for asking.
Old 05-19-2011, 08:07 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Hello Alan. Looking great. I wish I could do patch panels. I just started doing bodywork a few years ago. You got it looking great keep up the great work. I did a 64Chevy truck for my wife short narrow bed. Donated it to my fater in law as I had an 83 350 four bolt main in it. 10 mile to the gallon was killing me. I am subscribing.

Last edited by Terrys87; 05-19-2011 at 08:09 AM.
Old 05-19-2011, 08:16 AM

Thanks Terry, I hope to make some good progress this winter.

Quick Reply: Alan's Classic' 1986 4Runner Build-Up Thread - Project "No Name"