86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

91 pickup 3vze repair/buildup

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2013, 01:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
91 pickup 3vze repair/buildup

hey guys just gonna be doing kind of a build up/repair thread for my truck. im new to toyota and anything im doing wrong or tips are greatly appreciated. im going to try to make this as picture heavy as possible and probably make some videos on youtube and link them here. the first pic is the truck the first day i got it. other pictures are at random times. my first project is this blown head gasket on the 3vze i was "blessed with" from the factory. [/IMG]
here are some other random pics

http://i1279.photobucket.com/albums/...ps93285c85.jpg
Old 02-14-2013, 01:09 PM

alright head gasket time. owned the truck about 6 months but now happy blown head gasket. took it to the dealership to try to cash in the recall but because they are jerks they said my motor is so old (347k miles) that they would have to charge me AT LEAST 800 dollars just to replace the gasket. and thats all in parts. the mechanic said my spark plug wires were brittle and would crumble. me knowing there almost new. anyway i happily took my truck home and here i am today. im now going to purchase a new compression tester (cant find my old one) and some new mechanics gloves.

you know you drive a yota when you turn down the AAA tow truck drivers offer to buy your truck

the "love" of my life

chocolate milk anyone?

mmmmmmmmmmmmmm

doesnt this just look fun!
Old 02-14-2013, 01:36 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Great looking truck. I had a 91 extended cab with the 22re. The extra cabs are great and think you are going to love it. Check out 8t8s build https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f199...ead-197690/for some helpful tips. Looking forward to your build. Welcome to Yotatech.
Old 02-14-2013, 03:56 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You have a nice start. Plenty of info here.welcome
Old 02-14-2013, 09:55 PM

well a lot of time and effort later i have wonderful news. removing all the spark plugs to do a compression test they all had this ugly white coating on them like very ashy. as well as them being very hard to turn out of the heads. the only anomaly in the bunch was the one that came out of cylinder number 6 and is all the way to the left in the picture below.

this compression tester is a loan out from oriellys, actually a nice little thing. im unsure of what it costs but it feels as sturdy as my craftsman one i have seemed to misplaced.

so here comes the fun part, after painsteakingly removing all the plugs i put the tester in the number two cylinder (it was easist to get it in) and as my buddy holds it still and i turn the truck over water shoots out of the number 6 cylinder lol. thats the best thing ive ever seen a motor do. i wish i had caught it on video. it read around 120 psi but just for giggles i put it on the nubmer six cylinder next and it read 180 psi. im thinking because the water in it builds up more pressure than the air. can anyone say blown head gasket! lol
Old 02-18-2013, 05:26 PM

alright im down to the block now, under the intake to my surprise there seems to be what looks to be like hair. im assuming the 3vze hits puberty around 340k miles and thats what i have. should be taking it all to the machine shop this week. enjoy pictures of my dirty motor

Old 02-19-2013, 07:21 PM

okay guys things are getting expensive so i plan on just maybe getting a gasket set but i want to get the block cleaned and honed. and get the heads cleaned and decked. does anyone reccomend a certain gasket/rebuild set? in addition i also plan on doing a egr/pair delete as well as possibly deleting the vaccum lines that come from the power steering pump. any opinions on that? also the plastic bits that held my wiring together under the intake crumbled as i took it off. so should i just wrap it up in electrical tape? any other ideas? any input is much appreciated
Old 03-01-2013, 03:53 AM

First Toyota from repair to rebuild

W'ere in the same boat. I took my engine apart last fall and now that spring is coming its time for it to come back together. I've been researching all winter and learned quit a bit. I'm not an experienced mechanic but I got my fingers crossed. Good lucky!
Old 03-01-2013, 04:28 PM

Received 554 Likes on 452 Posts
Originally Posted by johndoe13
okay guys things are getting expensive so i plan on just maybe getting a gasket set but i want to get the block cleaned and honed. and get the heads cleaned and decked. does anyone reccomend a certain gasket/rebuild set? in addition i also plan on doing a egr/pair delete as well as possibly deleting the vaccum lines that come from the power steering pump. any opinions on that? also the plastic bits that held my wiring together under the intake crumbled as i took it off. so should i just wrap it up in electrical tape? any other ideas? any input is much appreciated
Don't use tape under the intake, it won't stand up to the heat. "Wiring loom" is available and cheap from the local nap or other parts stores.

The vacuum line to and from the PS is needed to keep the engine from stalling, You'll likely want to reconsider that choice. "Power steering idle up"

If your in one of these counties you don't want to alter the emissions system. EGR is a hot debated issue I won't go into, BUT the pair system is required for the catilytic converter to function propeerly, if you do delete the PAIR you can probably do the cat' aswell.

I have no real input on gaskets, OEM from the dealer is the general recommendation for the head gaskets.

Just what exactly did you have to use that saw on anyway?
Old 03-02-2013, 11:34 PM

cat came off the first day i had the truck haha but the saw was the only thing i had to reach those random vaccum lines trying to get the plenum off and they were so old they were hard as rocks like basically petrified so cutting them was the only way to get it off so i could properly get the individual lines off. do any of you all know if the chiltons manual for this book or any manual exhists that has very good pictures? due to a series of unfortunate events i have a huge pile of bolts and im unsure where they came from haha
Old 03-07-2013, 11:00 AM

hey johndoe, from my experience the chilton's manual won't give you any great pictures. but if you go onto ebay and look up faxon autolititure they carry a pretty good selection of manuals as well as the tech manuals that aren't really sold over the counter. With the huge pile of bolts just start organizing putting same looking bolts with same looking bolts, when i did my timing belt and water pump i noticed toyota used the same bolts for for each part. when you go to put everything back together if screws in right and the number of bolts match the amount of holes for that part its a pretty safe bet those are it. not the best way but it will carry you over
Old 03-11-2013, 09:17 PM

okay guys well i have the book for torque specs and all although it doesnt look to be much help. i have the engine in the bed of the truck and i CANNOT get that crank bolt off the front. ive tried everything i can think of all weekend. anyone have any ideas? in addition im tyring to figure out if i can do a diy acid bath for all my brackets and intake and plenum because they are all so nasty and it would take hours with some degreaser and a tooth brush to get it done. im unsure of even what kind of acid is used?
Old 03-19-2013, 12:02 PM

okay kind of a change of gears due to a lack of funds and my infatuation with a 3.4 engine. i had originally had a post on my local craigslist looking for a 3.4 and got no hits other than phone calls from fellow yota owners doing the same swap offering help and wiring diagrams so it looks like my area is dry for 3.4's lol. my heads are currently just getting cleaned checked and decked at my local machine shop. once they get a clean bill of health i will be ordering a gasket set and head bolts as well as fuel injector o rings from parts dinosaur. at that point ill only be into this repair at around 300 bucks. the only other things to be purchased is a mess of vaccum lines antifreeze oil and such. but for sure i am doing a egr/pair delete as well as the exhaust crossover mod. im going to try to take as many pictures as possible.
Old 03-19-2013, 03:01 PM

Let me know how that EGR/Pair delete go, and take pictures! I plan on doing that myself in a couple of weeks.

Truck looks good, keep up the good work!