86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

89 Pickup Build. Project cream puff trail rig

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2018, 04:01 PM

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts
89 Pickup Build. Project cream puff trail rig

Hey Folks. I am building another rig after about 8 or 9 years away. I am Pat on Pirate so if you guys have spent any time over there over the years you may recognize my name or some of my past rigs.

Any ways I have been missing my little Toyotas and figured it was time to build another mild rig to doing some exploring and what not. I was able to find a 1989 shortbed 4x4 with 102,000 original miles. I like the cream puff rigs and want to keep this one extremely clean. Paint is toast from sitting out in the So cal desert sun but no rust and fairly clean over all. Needs a fender and a paint job whick my Son has volunteered to do since he works at a hot rod shop

So I found this truck down in Southern Ca. but of course I live in Northern Ca. lol Lucky for me I work down south from time to time. I ended up having to go down for work and the timing was perfect. So I flew down there, Ubered over to where the truck was located and it was as described by the owner. Car fax checked out and everything. I took it for a 25 minute test drive, Took it up the freeway, around town and it was about 95* that day so I was happy I really got to put it through it's paces. Everything sounded and looked great other than the tires. They were complete junk just like the owner told me. One was separated as well. The original owner and I headed over to AAA and swapped it in to my name and the deal was done

Now it is time to drive it home! Well the first thing I did was take it to Americas tire and I put on the cheapest 225's they had to get it home around ($300 out the door) I was happy with the sales guy, I told him what I was doing and how these tires where just to get me home so he cut the price about $50 over all... Boy what a difference with the new tires as far as drivability

And so the Drive began. I got up and over the grape vine and was enjoying the ice cold air and decent little stereo. Truck seems great. About 1hr past the grape vine I started hearing a little whining coming from the tranny, And it got progressively louder 4th was quite as a church mouse so I had a pretty good idea already that one of the counter shaft bearings was going out. I guess there is such a thing as a vehicle sitting a little too much. I ran it in 4th the rest of the trip home at 65mph and it did fine..

So now for the build stuff Well right off the get go the intension is to get the truck 100% mechanically perfect. The first thing I did was rip the transmission out and I ordered a Japanese bearing kit. I popped open the transmission and sure enough the back counter shaft bearing was rough. Everything else looks great. So Monday 6/25/18 I will tear the tranny down and put all new bearings in it. And while I have the tranny out IW will put a new clutch, flywheel, throwout and pilot bearing. Glad I did the pilot bearing was toast too

I also could here the dreaded timing chain rattle at start up so figured I would go full cha cha and swap that out. I got onto LC engineering's sight and ordered their double row timing chain kit. I figure it is pricey but worth it to me. I may end up going 3rz later but I like my stuff stout and we all know the single row chain has a lot to be desired. The LC engineering kit comes with a new water pump and high volume oil pump as well. Upon taking it apart I found that the water pump was slightly wheeping so it was due as well..

My Over all goals for the truck, Well I guess it will be stages. First stage is mechanically get everything up to snuff so I could drive it anywhere without having to worry, Kind of like a stocker build with a few upgrades. I plan on Painting the truck and Bobbing the bed. 4.7 gears in the case while I have the transfer case out. New timing set, Clutch, tranny bearings, new hoses, belts, gaskets, etc.. Also I am putting buckets in the truck as well as a couple other interior stuff from a 94 4runner I bought with a crap 3slow. Oh yea, I will run the stock aluminums off the runner as well for now too.

3slow for parts, Clean rig

The second stage will be building a Dana 44 to about 61" for a SAS. My goal is to keep it low and run just some 33's. I have always liked wheeling with the smaller tires. Never seem to have too many issues. Many trips over the Rubicon and Fordyce running them

Couple previous rigs with 33's. The 83 was my last rig at all about 2009 I think.

Also in Stage 2 I figure I will go dual transfercases, Build some nice drivelines, Build some sliders, Tube bumpers with the front holding a winch. Hopefully I will got Tacoma elocker rear or ARB, we will see what pops up. The 44 I narrow and build I want to set up a ARB, Chromos and CTM's.

Stage 3 will be the Motor Swap. 3RZ is my goal as of right now but who knows what time will bring. So follow along if you want. It has been fun getting back into things
Attached Thumbnails 89 Pickup Build.  Project cream puff trail rig-zzzzzzzzzzzz11.jpg  

Last edited by Pat4wd; 06-24-2018 at 04:13 PM.
Old 06-24-2018, 08:03 PM

Here are a few more progress pics

Last edited by Pat4wd; 06-24-2018 at 08:05 PM.
Old 07-03-2018, 08:19 PM

Well I got some more done. My Truck is driving again and I must say better than ever(at least since I have had

Tranny rebuild is finished. Chipped original 5th gear pulling it so I had to order a replacement. Also Built a tool to press it on. That was the toughest part by far is getting 5th off and back on the w56. the rest is easy. Just need a extra set of hands to help when putting things in the press. Had to get creative with tub and spacers to get the pressing arrangement with a few bearings. Like I said though 5th was the only one that was tough. My Main shaft bearing and my back countershaft bearing were bad. All else checked good as per the FSM.

Pressing on 5th with custom tool, Couldn't find the SSt

I little bling from Marlin

Mounted in truck

I went and drove the truck about 45 to 50 miles today and I will say the tranny was as quite as a church mouse now. I was relieved I did a lot of work I need to take some underhood pics as well. I cleaned up a lot of stuff. The truck has 102000 original miles on it so yu would think it would look real clean but someone had the smart idea of spraying it with a clear cloat that now looks horrible on everything changing all parts to look like a dingy mess. I cleaned up the valve cover nd a bunch of other parts as well as putting a new "22re" sticker

All news hoses including the Throttle body and IAC lines.
New belts,
New 2 stage TSTAT
LC engineering double row timing set
LC Hi volume oil pump
New water pump
New Aisian Clutch
Throwout
Pilot
Flywheel
Cleaned out oil pan
Retorqued Head
Adjusted Valves

More to come. Doing some more tomorrow

Saw this Toyota at the auto parts store too..lol
It can be your for just $14k

Last edited by Pat4wd; 07-03-2018 at 08:26 PM.