86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

70elcoss' 1990 4runner 3.0 build up/rebuild thread

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2011, 10:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
70elcoss' 1990 4runner 3.0 build up/rebuild thread

Hey guys! I'm excited to announce I'm finally about to pull my motor this week and give a shot at rebuilding it myself. It's a 1990 4runner 2 door and I hydrolocked it about 3 weeks ago. Took out the plugs and didn't crank over so I know something went bad internally.

This is gunna be my first build of a motor, biggest job prior to this was doing a clutch on it 4 months ago. I feel confident and want to prove everyone I can do it and to finally get it back on the road!!

So anyways, parts list so far is
-Engnbldr rebuild kit
-timing belt component kit
-Toyota head gaskets
-reconditioned connecting rods depending on how many are bad
-Injector cleaning
-machine shop work
I'm praying the crank and block are good.....

Wanted to go with oversized valves but engnbldr doesn't offere them anymore. Found a vendor on eBay that has them, I'll see if I can find a link pater. Gunna start removing stuff tomorrow after school and plan to remove the motor Friday. I'll keep you guys posted with pics of everything! I'm planning to use this as a reference/resource or whatever you want to call it lol anyways here's a couple pics of her

Old 11-07-2011, 04:10 PM

Nice ride and did u have any trouble puting the clutch in their
Old 11-07-2011, 07:59 PM

Na clutch was pretty easy and straight forward, just took a while. Took longest to mate the trans to the motor after I was done. I put in a centerforce stage 1 and highly recommend it, it is ridiculously smooth and awesome pedal feel.

Started to take apart everything today. Removed the fan, radiator, air intake, upper intake plenum and all those intake hoses! Found a few surprises to say the least, took a bunch of pics I'll post em up a little later tonight
Old 11-09-2011, 07:04 PM

ok guys here are the pics, heres the link to the entire album but ill try to post any good pics here as well. http://s332.photobucket.com/albums/m...vze%20rebuild/

im assuming the k&n was the culprit that allowed so much water to enter the motor

radiator and electric fan out first!
then the intake was out and i labeled everything
i found this little suprise when i removed the intake

thats all powdery residue crap, question is, is there supposed to be a hole in the bottom of the throttle body or did it get eaten through by this crap?
Old 11-09-2011, 07:11 PM

VACCUUM HOSE LABELING LOL!!

that intake plenum was definetly fun haha

oh and heres another pic of the hole in the throttle body

plenum off to show a suprise...

yea that first cylinder is drowned in water.. i guess thats why the motor wouldnt crank over... i cleaned it up, pulled the plugs again and it cranked over! but locked up after about 3/4 of a turn so its still coming out
Old 11-09-2011, 07:15 PM

heres the pile of parts after the first day

today i basically removed all the trans bolts, loosened the cam gears and crank bolt, removed the starter, all the wiring harness except one of the connectors at the rear of the intake because i couldnt remove it. disconnected the AC. shes basically ready to be taken out i just have to remove the fuel line from the rail, exhaust and that last electrical connection and the motor mounts. another question, how did you guys hook up the motor to the hoist? my hoist has a short chain with a big hook on it

im uploading the pics from today right now

Last edited by 70elcoss; 11-09-2011 at 07:18 PM.
Old 11-09-2011, 07:27 PM

the green one on the right is the one im habing trouble taking off!
the black case around the wiring was destroyed on contact lol it was so brittle! anyone know where to buy a new one?
Old 11-09-2011, 09:22 PM

get a length of chain and go from one hook on the engine to another, have to find the right spot on it to balance...

How did you get the starter out? I just pulled a 3.0 motor on my donor rig and didnt see anyway to fish it out of there
Old 11-09-2011, 09:34 PM

There's two 14mm bolts, the top one is on the bellhousing side right above the slave cylinder and the bottom one you need about 3 feet of extensions no joke hahaha put your ratchet near the AC compressor belt and make an extention long enough to reach the bolt... I didn't remove it, I just left it there hanging but I have removed it before.... Remove the little panel in the wheel well and that should give you enough room to get it out
Old 11-09-2011, 09:36 PM

there is more than two, the top 4 on the bellhousing are 14mm on my 3.0
Old 11-09-2011, 09:48 PM

Well I'm not sure then, mine only had 2 bolts.... The bellhousing has 5 14mm bolts.... 4 on the bottom and the top one for the starter, the rest (6 I think) are 17mm
Old 11-09-2011, 09:49 PM

oh your right, top 4 are 17mm, rest are 14mm, ack, whiskey has me thinking backwards, haha
Old 01-07-2012, 10:48 PM

forgot i had this thread too! i was posting all my progress in this thread https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116...stions-244496/
ill post the info here too tho and im going to use this thread from now on
Old 01-07-2012, 10:57 PM

so i basically got the motor out.... and found this
took me almost a month to find another one... i found this short block out of a 93 t100 with 30k miles on it! its been in storage for 10 years but i had to dissassemble it and get it bored .020 over. barely got it back from the machine shop last week actually and today i prepped it for paint and got the last freeze plugs out before i shot some paint

and i know the 22re guys are jealous of this i cant stop looking at it lol i sat for half an hour just staring at it! but anyways all my progress and hiccups are more detailed in that link i put but im going to post in this thread from now on

tomorrow im probably just gunna install my new freeze plugs, cant start assembly until next week when my torque wrench arrives in the mail i waited too long to order it
Old 01-07-2012, 11:06 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Looking good! 22R's I know, but man this 3VZ stuff is jibberish to me! What's with the 2 oil filter spots on the left bank? It doesn't use 2 oil filters does it?

My old man is getting 4Runner fever and we're lookin at a 1990 2 door the neighbor has sitting.
Old 01-08-2012, 12:07 AM

Lol no the rear one is for the oil cooler and the front is the oil filter... But some people on here have installed the lil filter union on the rear and have 2 filters! I think the towing package came with the oil cooler and the models without the oil cooler have a weird circle thing to block it off.

Mines a 2 door and I love it! I woulda just got rid of it if it was a 4 door but the 2 door is unique and I think it looks way better! Hahaha
Old 01-08-2012, 12:35 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I love the look of the 2-doors, I would do a 3.4 V-6 swap from wreaked toy truck or from a 4-Runner, but good luck with the rebuilt 3.0 :}

Old 01-13-2012, 12:28 AM

Got my torque wrench in the mail today and started assembly ASAP! In the morning I cleaned up the block good and then installed the engnbldr brass freeze plugs. Later at night when my torque wrench came in I started torqued the crank down to take clearances.... They all looked good except I had one major problem.....

I didn't clean the crank as good as I thought I did and some dirt got embedded in a couple of the bearings!! I was Sooooo mad at my self!! 2 of the bearings got messed up because of that so I think I'm going to use 2 of the original ones (apparently they have like 30k miles and they do look good!) cant really afford to buy a new set of bearings. My budget is maxed out already because my heads needed a valve job

Anyways here's some pics. Tomorrow I'm going go retake all the crank clearances with the other bearings as well. Maybe just maybe I'll finish the short block tomorrow

clearance was well within the range and all looked pretty close to eachother

And here's the stupid crap that got in the bearing

You can probably barely seen it in the pic, upper right area... Tiny spec of dirt.
Old 01-13-2012, 02:23 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Dont see many 2 door second gens. It doesnt matter which motor you build, it is always satisfying when you did it and it runs. Way to go on tackling this rebuild. Will be watching.
Old 01-15-2012, 11:51 PM

ok so got a ton more done... after looking at my main bearings i couldnt reuse old ones so i went to the store and bought some new ones, and they are actually pretty awesome! haha they have 3 oiling holes!

Friday got those in, clearanced all good and torqued down the crank, checked ring gaps and read up for the next step!also picked up the heads from the machine shop... $400 for a complete rebuild of them but damn do they look good! lol

saturday i had to watch the 49er game then after i installed the rings, checked rod bearing clearances and then installed the pistons!
my first ever piston insalled!

today i installed the new oil pump, rear main seal, and oil pan, pick up and baffle... had to cut a hole in the baffle because this was out of a 2wd t100 and apparetnyl the 2wd and 4wd use a different oil pick up so the holes are in a different area... just had to enlarge one and make a new one. i coulda bought a different oil pick up but im already maxed out of money so i had to make it work

oil pump

heres the holes i had to enlarge and make in the baffle

as you can see the upper one is the one i cut, the middle is the one i had to make slightly bigger and the bottom one is the one that is useless on 2wd models!

and BOOM! DONE!

Quick Reply: 70elcoss' 1990 4runner 3.0 build up/rebuild thread