86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

1986 Toyota 4x4 SR5 Xtra Cab "Back to the Future Replica"

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2012, 12:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1986 Toyota 4x4 SR5 Xtra Cab "Back to the Future Replica"

"Helllloooooo, McFly!?!?!?"

When I was a kid I couldn't get enough of the Back to the Future movies. Since I first watched them 20+ years ago I always knew my dream ride would be the black Toyota 4x4 truck. Until recently, I never thought it would be a reality. However, now that I'm older and actually have money (there is a plus to age) I decided to realize my dream and build an exact replica.

Several months ago my quest to find a the perfect truck started. After scouring Ebay, Craig's List, and local dealers I was coming up empty. In the mean time I did a lot of research and found out that for Back to the Future 1 they used an 85 SR5 Extra Cab (solid front axle) and in Back to the Future 2 & 3 they used an 86 SR5 Extra Cab (IFS). Due to drivability and availability I decided to go with the 86 SR5 Extra Cab (IFS). It also helped that, thanks to Yotatech Forums, I found someone (@Jordanlawrence) selling the exact truck I needed who had also been working on building a BTTF3 replica truck. When I bought it a few weeks ago he had already done considerable, and amazing, work to it.

I am going to continue the replica rebuild now that I own it. He already has a "build up" thread on here, so I will pick up where he left off. The torch has been passed! I'll start posting pictures and upgrades that I've already done soon. I'm just excited to be a part of these forums and becoming a Toyota addict (it's already taken over).

The truck as he originally bought it:
Name:  ToyotaOriginal.jpg
Views: 4385
Size:  117.4 KB

The truck when he finished it:
Name:  BTTF3Arrived.jpg
Views: 8539
Size:  85.9 KB

An actual screen shot of the BTTF3 truck from the movie:
Name:  BTTF3Movie.jpg
Views: 3286
Size:  21.1 KB

Last edited by jameser84; 07-28-2012 at 12:40 PM.
Old 08-01-2012, 03:33 PM

Purchases so far:

1 Original Owner's Manual
1 Factory SR5 Shifting Knob (leather)
1 set of AC/Heater Control Knobs
2 pairs of Smittybilt end caps
2 factory SR5 "Vertigo" stitched bucket seats that I rescued from a 1985 Toyota 4Runner that had been sitting in a driveway for 2 years
Old 08-02-2012, 06:35 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Hey when you get it done, I would like to see it. I live a little south of you. Welcome to Yotatech. Great looking truck you got. Just started on an Extra Cab myself.
Old 08-02-2012, 06:45 AM

Originally Posted by Terrys87
Hey when you get it done, I would like to see it. I live a little south of you. Welcome to Yotatech. Great looking truck you got. Just started on an Extra Cab myself.
Thanks Terry! I took a look at your rebuilds... sharp work! I'm not very car knowledgeable yet but I'm learning. I'm always impressed with someone who can do what you do. I'm excited to see what you do with the 86 4Runner rebuild! If you are ever going to be in the Springfield area let me know - I'd love to meet up with you and show each other our rides and talk all things Toyota.
Old 08-02-2012, 07:18 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

I get up to Springfield occasionally I will PM my number. If you ever need help, just holler. I have learned alot on these. Also have a stash of parts. I have some nice plans on my 86 Runner. Just got to get it back home. Will get it in stock condition first and build it up after that. You get down to Joplin much?
Old 08-02-2012, 10:43 AM

Awesome Truck! Looks great!
Old 08-02-2012, 06:12 PM

I get up to Springfield occasionally I will PM my number. If you ever need help, just holler. I have learned alot on these. Also have a stash of parts. I have some nice plans on my 86 Runner. Just got to get it back home. Will get it in stock condition first and build it up after that. You get down to Joplin much?
I usually don't make it over to Joplin but it's only 45 minutes away. PM me your number and I will do the same. I am just now learning about Toyotas, hell even automotive jargon in general, but I look forward to meeting up and talking with you. I'll definitely be picking your brain. It's great to have a Broyota so close to me!
Old 08-04-2012, 04:50 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

We need more around here. I enjoy working on these trucks and you ever need help just holler. I am liking the blue on the orginal color of your truck for my runner. I am staying blue with it, just havent decided which shade of blue.
Old 08-05-2012, 01:59 PM

We need more around here. I enjoy working on these trucks and you ever need help just holler. I am liking the blue on the orginal color of your truck for my runner. I am staying blue with it, just havent decided which shade of blue.
Me too! If I wasn't building the BTTF replica I would have just left it that color. The decals looked sharp too.
Old 08-07-2012, 11:44 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Hoping the St.Louis place has what you are looking for. Let me know if they are still open. I may need to make a trip there as the PO on my truck cut up the back panels. I will be in Springfield at 5 on Friday for the swap meet. Hoping they have some good things there.
Old 08-08-2012, 07:56 AM

Hoping the St.Louis place has what you are looking for. Let me know if they are still open. I may need to make a trip there as the PO on my truck cut up the back panels. I will be in Springfield at 5 on Friday for the swap meet. Hoping they have some good things there.
They emailed me back that they should have several of the parts I need Waiting to hear back from them again. They said they aren't open to the public but will fulfill email requests for either delivery or pickup.

Remember the swap meet is next Friday, the 17th. Looking forward to it and meeting you!
Old 08-08-2012, 08:42 AM

That's a good looking truck man , I wanted to do the same but I ended up buying a 4runner
Old 08-12-2012, 04:02 PM

After I got my Smittybilt replacement caps for my rear bumper they didn't fit so I had to sand down the inside of the caps, pop them in as far as they would go, put a towel over them, hammer them in the rest of the way, and then use an exacto knife to get the extra pieces cleaned off. Looked perfect when I was done. This is the first thing I did after I bought my truck so you can see I was excited! I made my wife take the picture so I could always remember the first thing I did to my truck.

Name:  IMG_1876.jpg
Views: 1266
Size:  78.6 KB
Old 08-12-2012, 04:06 PM

After I put my seats in:

Name:  IMG_1908.jpg
Views: 1504
Size:  83.5 KB

My split bench I took out in the back of my truck:

Name:  IMG_1913.jpg
Views: 1489
Size:  84.8 KB
Old 08-12-2012, 07:32 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Those are some good looking seats. Congrats on getting the end caps in. I suggest keeping track of your build as you go. Post pics of everything you do. I have suggested to a few people to go back thru their build and after a year or so, you for get what all you did and where you were. Brings back some good memories. Wish I would of known of Yotatech when I first started doing Toyotas. Where I was to where I am is such a big difference. Even the difficult or tough problems I encountered are funny to me.

I am a Dallas Cowboys fan as well. My wife is a Greenbay fan, (I will still keep her, she is perfect otherwise) and we are hoping to see Dallas play in Greenbay this year and will do our best to go to Greenbay if they play there this year. Havent seen the schedule yet, but she wants to see Greenbay and get some memorbilia. She went with me to a Dallas and San Fransico game in Dallas and it was great.

I will be there next Friday. Looking forward to it as this will be my first auto swap meet. I am excited about it. Looking forward to meeting you. Will be gald to find another Toyota nut as well around here. Just notmany in this area.
Old 08-13-2012, 07:24 AM

I am a Dallas Cowboys fan as well. My wife is a Greenbay fan, (I will still keep her, she is perfect otherwise) and we are hoping to see Dallas play in Greenbay this year and will do our best to go to Greenbay if they play there this year. Havent seen the schedule yet, but she wants to see Greenbay and get some memorbilia. She went with me to a Dallas and San Fransico game in Dallas and it was great.
Unfortunately they don't play the Packers this season I have never been to Dallas Cowboys game but I hope to go one day, especially now that they built their new stadium. My father-in-law has season tickets to the KC Chiefs so I go to a few of those a year though. We will let it slide that your wife is a Packers fan... mine is a Chiefs fan haha.

I will be there next Friday. Looking forward to it as this will be my first auto swap meet. I am excited about it. Looking forward to meeting you. Will be gald to find another Toyota nut as well around here. Just notmany in this area.
Me too man! I don't know if we will find any deals or not but swaps are fun when they are as big as this one.
Old 08-18-2012, 07:28 PM

Jordan was alot of help with certain things for my BTTF replica. You got yourself a real nice truck. Love the seats. I will be picking mine up from paint this Tuesday(Originally blue with blue interior).I pulled out all of the plastic and trim and painted them grey. New carpet. Upgraded the sound with a couple of Alpine amps, Focal speakers and a single Jl audio 10w3 sub.Still need to find the right seats so I just have seat covers that look factory.
Mine is a part 1 "hero" replica. 85 sr5 extra cab 4x4 with the single tube roll bar in the bed. Just the way Marty sees it on the transport.
Old 08-19-2012, 05:11 AM

Originally Posted by yellowmxwheels
Jordan was alot of help with certain things for my BTTF replica. You got yourself a real nice truck. Love the seats. I will be picking mine up from paint this Tuesday(Originally blue with blue interior).I pulled out all of the plastic and trim and painted them grey. New carpet. Upgraded the sound with a couple of Alpine amps, Focal speakers and a single Jl audio 10w3 sub.Still need to find the right seats so I just have seat covers that look factory.
Mine is a part 1 "hero" replica. 85 sr5 extra cab 4x4 with the single tube roll bar in the bed. Just the way Marty sees it on the transport.
Rock on! I'd love to see some pictures. It's nice to know I'm not the only crazy fanatic of the BTTF truck out there. I'd love to talk with you as you build yours and vice versa so we can help each other out. My interior restoration is going great so far. Just picked up some "Turbo" steats out of an 86 xtracab truck and going to do a bracket swap conversion this week on my seats. I'm pumped!
Old 08-19-2012, 11:03 AM

Another HUGE BTTF fan here!! Favorite movie of all time! Truck looks cherry.
Old 08-19-2012, 12:29 PM
Contributing Member

Very nice

Quick Reply: 1986 Toyota 4x4 SR5 Xtra Cab "Back to the Future Replica"