84-85 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

enelson95's 1987 Toyota Pickup 4x4

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2013, 08:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mod Please Delete! Accidentally Posted in the wrong section!

Hey guys, i just bought myself a 1987 Toyota Pickup 4x4 (Today actually), as the title pretty well describes, but I digress. I created this thread in the hopes that people (that's you!) will follow my progress, provide ideas, answer questions that I may have, and who knows, maybe i can teach someone a thing or two (if I'm lucky). I hope y'all enjoy the thread and please comment on it, even if it seems stupid (multiple sets of eyes are better than one).

My '87 Yota is basically your runt of the mill, generic, Yota 4x4. It's got a 5 speed tranny hooked up to the Legendary 22R. It's currently sittin' on stock wheels and tires, but does have an aftermarket front and rear bumper. However, it does have some.... rare options, or so my neighbor (a Yota "expert" [compared to me] tells me). Its got chrome trim down the whole side of the truck (hard to explain, but a picture's worth a thousand words.) Its also got Vent windows, so it's like ill have twice the A/C power.

My love for Yotas started as long ago as I can remember. My neighbor, a mechanic (basically if Macgyver was a mechanic... it would be him.), had a '86 Regular Cab sittin' on 33's with a four-inch lift, painted Chevy Blue, since before I was born. Unfortunately, he decided to sell it last year, before I had the money to buy it. So after a long time searching... here I am. (Promise i will upload pictures of it later... probably tomorrow.)

My DD is currently a '00 Honda Civic (boo!) with an auto tranny, so i'm nowhere near an expert on driving a 5 speed, but luckily some experience with my dad's 74 Super Beetle means that I am more proficient that your average Prius Owner.

So even though I don't know exactly what I want to do with my Yota, i do have a list of Mods that should be a pretty good start.

To-Do List:
4-inch Suspension Lift
33x12.50r15 BFG Mud Terrain KM2's (Maybe 33x13.50r15 Mud Grapplers later)
Paint (Not sure on color.... maybe Flat Dark Earth?)
Linex Bedliner (later on... maybe DupliColor BedArmor in the mean-time)
Custom Front Bumper/Modified Offroad Bumper (I'll explain later)
Rear Bumper Removal (E-Z)
Window Tint (35% visibility front, maybe 20% rear)
Dash Cover
Rock Sliders
Snorkel
Weber Carb
Rebuild Engine (Bored .20 over... engine in the truck is fine, just want a little more 'giddy-up')
Diamond-Plate Toolbox (Maybe)
Wet Okole Neoprene Seat Covers (www.wetokole.com)

There's probably a lot more that I just can't think of right now...

So yeah.... hope you guys enjoy, and all feedback is appreciated!

p.s. i could only get on picture to upload... will try again tomorrow.

-enelson95
Attached Thumbnails enelson95's 1987 Toyota Pickup 4x4-my-yota-2.jpg  

Last edited by enelson95; 11-06-2013 at 08:23 PM.
Old 11-06-2013, 08:13 PM

Well just realized that I put this in the wrong section. Will change... now.
Old 11-06-2013, 08:19 PM

If a mod would delete this thread.. that would be great.
Old 11-07-2013, 12:27 AM

Great looking truck to start with! I've started with a lot worse for sure. I would say if you plan on lifting the truck look into the SAS front suspension and definitely look into the 63" chevy rear leaf spring swap. Best bang for the buck and there aren't many spring makers that can compete with the flex you will get from them. Is that a smittybilt front bumper? Hard to tell from the side. Keep the pics coming and let's see the inside and out. From that pic it looks like you got a good cancer(rust) free truck.

P.S. Don't worry about the wrong place for a thread. Mods can move it to the right place for ya.

Last edited by NIGHTMARE; 11-07-2013 at 12:29 AM.
Old 11-07-2013, 05:07 AM

oh ok. well i already moved the thread to the '86-'95 build section, so i'm not gonna worry about this thread anymore.