84-85 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

dsmer's '87 sacrifice to an '85 SR5

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2011, 06:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up dsmer's '87 sacrifice to an '85 SR5

Alright here's my attempt to produce a very accurate (and picture filled) report of my build... Let me start with a short background on my build:

-2009 Bought my 1987 Xtra cab carburated for 1800
-the 87 would not pass emissions checked compression and found 45 psi in all four cylinders
-rebuilt 87 and at same time converted to EFI
-wheeled the crap out of my 87 while daily driving her
-2011, end of april came accross a 85 SR5 runner, 1200, no motor(but everything else including tranny was present and had some front end damage...)
-end of may came accross a 3RZ complete with harness all accessories and EGR equipment...

Plan at that time was to put the 3RZ in her amd go! But of course hard times have been everywhere and money is tight... So i decided to hold on the 3RZ and just get my 85 on the trail!

So on with the sacrifice
Old 05-29-2011, 06:41 PM

So the start of this project begins with a ton of tear down and taking stuff thats in the way... I mentioned this runner was in some kind of front end accident and the PO tried RIVETING a new core support on her... And to add to that the front end was still to far back and you were not able to shut the hood properly...

Enough words here's the pictures:

These pics were takin about three hours after trailering the runner to my parents house to work on her...
Old 05-29-2011, 06:44 PM

Here she is right before I started the major surgery!

20 minutes later:
Old 05-29-2011, 06:48 PM

Here she is about an hour or so later:

Just another shot:

Ended up callin it a day after that... 104 was the high and all I had for shade was a 10x15 tarp!!!
Old 05-29-2011, 07:01 PM

Day 2 was spent gettin some stuff together and gettin her on jack stands.... Here she is prepped and waiting for her transplant:
Driver side:

Passenger side:

Ended up doin some stuff in order to make it easier to paint once she is done.. Also did some wiring so that I can open the back gate and then close it up.... Tomorrow I may start choppin up my 87... Stay tuned!
Old 05-29-2011, 07:28 PM

Okay so I need to sell some stuff from the 87 to help pay for this build... Yotatech won't let me post in the classifieds... Ive got pictures of everything can anyone help me out?
Old 05-30-2011, 06:24 AM

Subscribed. This sounds like a great build!

Should be able to sell after 15 posts, I thought. You may want to contact one of the mods.
Old 05-30-2011, 04:38 PM

Didn't get to do much today, but I did get the blue yota into position for her future demise... Got a pic of me and my little trail-buddy giving our final farewell to her!

Old 05-30-2011, 09:59 PM
Sin

Originally Posted by DSMer
Didn't get to do much today, but I did get the blue yota into position for her future demise... Got a pic of me and my little trail-buddy giving our final farewell to her!

Great family pics, nice truck too! I understand about that heat we had here on Saturday, I didn't even want to go outside!!!
Old 06-01-2011, 08:15 PM

Well work was slow so I had some unspent energy on my project.. I'm at a point where I'm ready to cut my trucks front doghouse off and pull my 22re... Anyways enough WORDS here's the pics from tonight....

More to come....
Old 06-03-2011, 11:25 PM

Thursday night I was able to get the front doghouse off the blue yota... I have pictures and will post them up asap... I also decided I will pay tribute to the blue yota by painting my runer BT6.. Which is the same color blue as the new FJ cruisers
Old 06-04-2011, 12:14 AM

You're making some good progress. I wish I could get that motivated in this heat! It's a shame to see that pickup go to the chopping block, looks really clean, but I'm sure the final product will be worth it. Good Luck!
Old 06-04-2011, 09:05 AM

Well plans are this weekend is to get the motor pulled and possibly swapped, and to change over my IFS rear axle, we will see how she goes!
Old 06-04-2011, 09:01 PM
Sin

Originally Posted by DSMer
Well plans are this weekend is to get the motor pulled and possibly swapped, and to change over my IFS rear axle, we will see how she goes!
When are you pulling the motor, I'd like to help with that! I'll bring the ant killer
Old 06-04-2011, 10:58 PM

Hey sin I appreciate the help today! Ill give ya a call when i make it down to my parents! All in all today was a good day but with all good things come bad... My brother and Sin noticed that the gas was pretty smelly so we pulled the tank to check it out... Here's the chaos!

Anyways I did get the axle swapped and everything conected:

And heres my truck with no axle

Tomorrow is another big day!
Old 06-05-2011, 07:33 PM
Sin

Sorry I couldn't help you guys out today, had to get the AC running on the house!

What's the new progress?
Old 06-06-2011, 08:54 PM

Well for the two or three of ya watching this thread Ill post some pics of saturday and sundays progress... Got the motor out fairly easy...

Here she is all covered up...

And in this pic I found out where my oil leak was coming from and where my exhaust leak was (forgot the stupid gasket that goes between the header and the downpipe):
Old 06-06-2011, 08:59 PM

Couple other things I have been meaning to get out of the way and Ill take pics of are:
-Completely finished the efi swap(there was a couple misc. cooling lines that I had rigged)
-Found out I need a bracket for the factory efi fuel filter
-reinstalled the fuel dampner
-removed my LCengineering flex fan..
Ill take some pics of this stuff sometime during the week.. For the most part il be focusing on the runner and getting the dog house back in and painted...
Old 06-17-2011, 08:57 PM

Alrighty yota fans, today was the first day in about two weeks I have had an evening to myself.. Things are coming along well... I should be able to get her welded up and painted by the evening tomorrow... So heres a couple crappy pics Ill have to get some better ones in the morning...

Old 06-19-2011, 04:05 PM

UPDATE and happy fathers day to all the fellow yota dads! Got a lot done this weekend..

Heres a look at the past and future lol:

Can anyone guess this color???

Quick Reply: dsmer's '87 sacrifice to an '85 SR5