84-85 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

1985 Astro truck

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2013, 05:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1985 Astro truck

Amateur astronomy/astrophotography is a huge hobby of mine but since I live in light polluted Orange County I usually find myself having to drive out to the mountains or desert in order to reach dark skies. For years I've been doing this in my Volvo 240 Wagon but I'm sick of having the replace tie rods from washboard roads or getting stuck in the mud/snow during winter when I'm out on less traveled dirt roads trying to find a good spot to set up for the night. So I need something else.

In 1985 my dad bought a 4x4 Pickup standard bed/cab when we first moved out here from NY, I have memories of driving around in this thing as a kid. A few years ago the transmission went out, paint was completely shot, numerous dents/dings and just in need of some general tlc. My dad is not a mechanical person at all and really has no use for the truck so it just sat in the garage for a few years. Eventually he wanted to get it out of there but couldn't bring himself to sell it so he gave it to me.

I replaced the dead G52 tranny with a W56-B, got some BFG A/T 30x9.5, did a bunch of general maintenance and spent a few weekends doing bodywork. Finally painted it last weekend and now I'm getting it back together while using it as my daily driver.

Me getting it prepped for paint:

Did the inside of the cab too. Lots of surface rust was wire-wheeled away, now the truck is 100% rust free.

Did the bed too with U-Pol Raptor, came out looking excellent. The nice thing about using a good spray booth is the heater can bake the bedliner pretty quickly, I was able to apply masking tape to the Raptor within 20 minutes or so of spraying it.

I also repainted all the trim pieces and such with Sem Trim Black since I had the opportunity. Pretty pleased with the results.

Old 06-29-2013, 06:02 PM

Current immediate plans are to replace the horrible horrible Rancho RS5000s with some Bilstien HDs. Getting sick of slamming my head on the roof every time I go over a speed bump. I guess I'm used to the Volvo a bit too. And as much as people like to talk about how slow these trucks are, this thing will smoke my Volvo, granted the Volvo has over 410k on it.

Also planning on getting a camper shell or building a soft top for the back. Currently leaning towards the camper shell because it would keep my equipment from getting wet in the snow/rain better than a soft top, but neither option seems perfect.

I do plan on building a sleeping platform in the back with at least two deep-cycle batteries to power my equipment in the field. I will have to upgrade the stock alternator and add a battery isolator and maybe put some solar panels up top, not sure on that one yet.

So thats it for now. I should also mention that this truck has NEVER been taken off road before or even put into 4wd, so that will change. I don't plan on getting into rock crawling but there are a lot of trails I'd like to go on to get to some scenic spots that 2wd just won't cut it.
Old 06-29-2013, 08:20 PM

From a former volvo owner (five, none newer than '89) and a first time toyota truck owner; nice job, man. i'm really glad you did the full body de-rust, re-paint job. top notch. moar pics?
Old 06-29-2013, 08:33 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Gorgeous... Once you start modifying it can be hard to stop. If you add a good amount of weight and equipment to it you might want to consider upgrading the front brake setup to the vented land cruiser rotors and larger calipers. She's really pretty now though.
Old 06-30-2013, 09:08 AM

No more pics of the truck yet until I get it 100% back together. Still waiting on the dealership for a few clips and I need to track down some front windshield molding.

Heres a pic of the Volvo though

I think I own the two most indestructible vehicles ever made.
Old 06-30-2013, 06:52 PM

Picked up a Stockland camper shell today from a guy off CL for $150. It was for a 1990 Pickup but it fits the 85 bed pretty close. About 1/2" too wide on each side and maybe 1/2" shorter than I'd like but it still seals up and gets the job done. If I happen to find a better fitting one in the future I'll spring for that but in the meantime I'm happy with this one. Sliding windows too which is fantastic. I just need to paint the black gel-coat, thinking either the stock white or maybe desert tan, haven't decided yet.

Old 07-02-2013, 05:27 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
If I was your dad, I would want my truck back. Just kidding, It is nice to see one that has been in the family for so long and especially one that was bought new and brought back to great condition. You have done a great job on getting it back to new condition and seeing one in orginal conditon is getting harder to find. Great job on what you have done.
Old 07-02-2013, 05:49 PM

Thank you! He does look at it longingly now but I've got the title so that is that. Hes got his Smart car anyways.

Today I replaced the thermostat with a 180 degree Stant. Truck was running warm driving up the mountains (granted I was WOT and it was over 100f out) so I decided to throw this in there. I do a lot of driving in the mountains with all my gear in the back so I'll probably leave the 180 tstat in there until things cool down in the fall. I also have a spare electric fan I might install in front of the rad that can be activated by a toggle switch from the cab. Its not going to replace the stock clutch fan, just help it out when necessary.

Did the front brake pads today. Calipers look like they need some attention, seals are rough looking. I think I'll just upgrade to the v6 calipers and everything that goes with it soon rather than rebuilding the stock ones.

Last edited by pocketrubbish; 07-02-2013 at 05:50 PM.
Old 07-06-2013, 07:23 PM

Wow dude your truck looks like mine when I first got it (just a whole lot better shape than mine lol)
Name:  mms_picture1.jpg
Views: 127
Size:  92.6 KB

Great progress so far! Wish my truck was as clean as yours!

Last edited by STR8AXLE84; 07-06-2013 at 07:26 PM.
Old 07-06-2013, 09:08 PM

Received 216 Likes on 158 Posts
Love the original white wheels, screams I'm off the showroom floor

Looks sweet, good job!!!
Old 07-13-2013, 03:46 PM

great truck I really like when these trucks are kept original
Old 07-13-2013, 03:56 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by pocketrubbish
I think I own the two most indestructible vehicles ever made.
No joke!

I see a common thread with your color schemes....
Old 07-13-2013, 05:59 PM

Added a spare 10" electric fan I had laying around in front of the radiator to act as a pusher at the flip of a switch when the temp starts climbing while going up these high mountains in the summer, works like a charm. I think I'm going to replace the original 1985 radiator with a V6 all aluminum rad this week, I hate staring at the temp gauge waiting for it to peg.

Took it down an easy local trail this morning, Holy Jim Canyon in Trabuco. Pretty fun, 4L works great, not that I really needed it.

I REALLY need to find some new seats, this original bench is worn the hell out. Thinking about snagging some 4runner buckets once I get a chance. I really need to do something about these Rancho shocks too, they are brutal! Probably going to order some Bilstien HDs this week.

Took some new pics! Also saw another guy on the trail with an 86 with a sas so that was cool. Usually all I see around south OC are brand new Jeeps without a spec of dust on them.

Old 07-14-2013, 07:28 PM

Took it up Santiago Peak today, spent six hours or so playing around. Truck drove like a champ, never got stuck once.

Really enjoying wheeling so far, love this truck. Tires are handling things just fine even though I went with 30x9.50, haven't done anything that would require anything larger yet at all.
Old 07-14-2013, 07:41 PM

Beautiful truck. I just picked up an 84 that has a sleeping platform in the back. It's in serious need of engine work, but the previous owner must have done a lot of camping as it has lights and stuff in the back. One thing I'd consider doing is installing a sturdy rack that you can put a platform on. You could toss a lounge chair up there and watch the stars, or set up a tripod.

I'm a Land Rover guy, so I'm thinking something like this.

How'd you like the stock drivetrain for offroading?

Old 07-14-2013, 07:45 PM

Yeah I do plan on putting a rack up there soon. The camper shell fiberglass is very very thick on the roof so it could support a few hundred pounds easily.

Stock suspension isn't too bad at all but the Rancho 5000s are terrible! Seats have to go too, my back is killing me after today. Other than that though I'm pretty satisfied with it but I think I will go with OME in the coming future.
Old 07-14-2013, 07:50 PM

Awesome. Mine looks like it held a canoe and some dipnets, but I'm hoping to get a tent platform on top.

I can't imagine a worse ride than my rover (11 leave military springs), but I guess I'll find out soon enough.

I really like the 84/5 body style. From what I can tell so far they aren't the most popular trucks on this forum, but they seem a bit more civilized than the first gens. Perfect for daily drivers with light offroad use.
Old 07-28-2013, 09:42 AM

Alternator died on me on the drive to work today... light came on the dash, checked voltage with my multimeter and sure enough it wasn't putting out a thing. I had read about the early 90's 120 amp Jag XJ6 alternator swap so I drove up to the local pick your part and grabbed one for $30. Easy easy easy bolt in, uses the same plug, just had to bore out the v-belt pulley a tiny bit to fit on the Jag alternator.

Old 07-29-2013, 09:35 AM

nice truck pocketrubbish... & nice scope.. I haul a Dobsonian out with me too when I am out in the back county kayaking
Old 08-04-2013, 01:25 PM
MTwoTwo

nice build up so far

Quick Reply: 1985 Astro truck