84-85 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

1984 Toyota Pickup 4x4

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2017, 07:59 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Broke down and ordered a Weber 32/36 performance package from LCE. I'm sick and tired of carb issues and it seems like no matter how much time I spend on an aisin it just won't run right. I believe my header and 2.25" exhaust and big muffler are messing with the stock intake setup. We'll see.
Old 02-13-2017, 10:50 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
In my opinion the Aisin is just so worn out and way over complicated. You will like a Webber and how well it cleans up an engine bay. If you dont upgrade with the adapter plate from LCE? ( I think that is who sells it) you can use Webbers adapter plate. A friend of mine had me to use bearing grease on the paper gasket to help get a good seal on it. I hear it can leak with the paper gasket but the bearing grease has never caused me any leaks on the 3 different trucks that I installed a Webber on. An old timers trick.
Old 02-14-2017, 02:50 AM

Originally Posted by Terrys87
In my opinion the Aisin is just so worn out and way over complicated. You will like a Webber and how well it cleans up an engine bay. If you dont upgrade with the adapter plate from LCE? ( I think that is who sells it) you can use Webbers adapter plate. A friend of mine had me to use bearing grease on the paper gasket to help get a good seal on it. I hear it can leak with the paper gasket but the bearing grease has never caused me any leaks on the 3 different trucks that I installed a Webber on. An old timers trick.
I'm getting the LCE adapter with my kit.

I've heard not to put anything on the gaskets and I've heard to put anything from the copper spray to white lithium grease, to petroleum jelly, and other stuff. How much do you put on yours? Just enough to coat it or do you get it good and saturated?
Old 02-17-2017, 02:48 PM

I have never been more infuriated than I am right now. Intake manifold will not seal up. Keeps leaking coolant right beside the EGR cooler. I'm gonna try one more extreme cleaning and new gasket (3rd times a charm right) and if it doesn't work I'm taking it to get machined (hour away ) or ordering an offenhauser intake. $250 is stupid expensive though. Most likely not doing that. Carbs here! Just have to get this freaking manifold to seal. Rant over.
Old 02-17-2017, 03:33 PM

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by bootscootboogie
I have never been more infuriated than I am right now. Intake manifold will not seal up. Keeps leaking coolant right beside the EGR cooler. I'm gonna try one more extreme cleaning and new gasket (3rd times a charm right) and if it doesn't work I'm taking it to get machined (hour away ) or ordering an offenhauser intake. $250 is stupid expensive though. Most likely not doing that. Carbs here! Just have to get this freaking manifold to seal. Rant over.
Man that sucks. I got incredibly lucky with my engine sealing up using all dry gaskets. I also cleaned obsesively and took a fine file to anywhere that was gouged or scratched. Mine's an EFI, but I noticed that some metal had definitely been eaten away around the coolant passages. Nothing terrible, little divots and one spot where I'm guessing someone used a flat screwdriver to pry the intake off. I built those areas back up with JB weld and filed/sanded it flat after it cured. Anywhere look like that on your intake surfaces?
Old 02-18-2017, 03:49 AM

Mine looks pretty good, I took a razor blade and got all of the old gasket off and then sprayed carb cleaner on 600 grit sandpaper and went over the intake and head. They were both shiny before I put the gasket on. My intake has to be warped. I have two more stock intakes though and im gonna try one of them today.
Old 02-18-2017, 05:32 AM

Mine looks pretty good, I took a razor blade and got all of the old gasket off and then sprayed carb cleaner on 600 grit sandpaper and went over the intake and head. They were both shiny before I put the gasket on. My intake has to be warped. I have two more stock intakes though and im gonna try one of them today.
​​​​​​
Oops, forgot about warpage. Yeah, that'd do it. Any metal ruler should be straight enough to tell if that's your problem. Just lay it across in a few spots and on the diagonals and the ruler will rock if it's so bad it can't seal. I forget what the tolerance spec is, but it's twice the amount of the exhaust manifold so it'll be real noticeable if too warped.
Old 02-18-2017, 07:15 AM

I'm considered an extremely thin layer of black rtv where the coolant passages are in the intake.
Old 02-18-2017, 10:06 AM

*HUGE SIGH* I WAS MISSING A BOLT. BELOW THE COOLANT PORT ON THE UNDERSIDE OF THE MANIFOLD. I didn't know until I replaced the manifold with another one. Used fresh bolts and my torture wrench. It isn't leaking so far and I don't think it will. This will all hopefully be worth it because I don't want any vacuum leaks with my Weber.

Also I sold my geo and I'm buying my neighbors Lexus rs300... It's so nice.

Alas! It is time put this Weber on FINALLY!
Old 02-18-2017, 12:40 PM

SUCCESS!!!!!!

Dudes.... I have never, ever felt so accomplished. This truck has NEVER ran this amazing. Sat for a week and after pumping the gas a few times it idles perfect. Tidying up the FPR and lines real quick but holy smokes this is absolutely the best carburetor I've ever used. It's insane how much better it runs.

And I think I was right about it being the right carb for my exhaust setup as well. They have to be a bit higher CFM than an aisin. Now I have my engine right where I wanted it two years ago. Weber, dual row chain, and header. I've got a date tonight too! With a hot chick!!! I am on top of the world.
Old 02-18-2017, 12:48 PM

SUCCESS!!!!!!

Dudes.... I have never, ever felt so accomplished. This truck has NEVER ran this amazing. Sat for a week and after pumping the gas a few times it idles perfect. Tidying up the FPR and lines real quick but holy smokes this is absolutely the best carburetor I've ever used. It's insane how much better it runs.

And I think I was right about it being the right carb for my exhaust setup as well. They have to be a bit higher CFM than an aisin. Now I have my engine right where I wanted it two years ago. Weber, dual row chain, and header. I've got a date tonight too! With a hot chick!!! I am on top of the world.
Nice! Love to hear when it works out better than expected. And yeah, sounds for sure like you're on top of the world, enjoy the view from way up there.
Old 02-18-2017, 03:38 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
The date probably has a lot to do with you selling your geo.
Old 02-18-2017, 03:39 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Glad to hear you got your rig running right. Can you send me pics of your buddy's first gen? Tony
Old 02-20-2017, 04:53 AM

Gotta tinker with the throttle linkage and get it just right. I think I'm going to end up using a small spacer behind the throttle adapter and try to get it lined up perfect but still tight. Works fine now after loosening the nut but I can't stand how loose it is. I could see it boring the throttle adapter out over time. It runs so quiet at idle and so smooth that you can't hear it when you're coasting
Old 02-24-2017, 12:57 PM

Looking at my tires and figured I would post an update. I have put about 4000 miles on my Kenda Klever MTs (mostly interstate and dirt roads) and there is absolutely no wear, no cupping, nothing. Did not get it aligned because my truck tracks STRAIGHT and I've been keeping an eye on it. This tire comes with gobs of tread and I believe they will last me a long time. They're only loud when you're going 45 on a well paved road. On the interstate, well I have Charlie Daniels turned up to loud to hear anything but... Buy these tires. They are great.
Old 02-26-2017, 03:39 AM

Pulled the engine out of the 85, and the engine out of the 81, and put the 85 engine in the 81 lol. I'm gonna take the 81 engine apart, I THINK it has a newer head on it. Probably a cheap eBay one honestly. Truck hasn't been on the road in years but today we'll be firing it up. I have to weld up some exhaust and set the timing on it. It's fun getting this much done every weekend. Next weekend we'll be installing a suspension kit on his truck. That will definitely give me an understanding of putting mine on. Just gotta pay off my carb first lol

Happy wrenching
Old 02-27-2017, 02:22 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Those tires look like they have great tread on them. Those look like mud/ mud and snow. Sometimes they are made of real hard rubber. If they are made of hard rubber, just watch it on slick surfaces as they can slide on wet pavement fairly easily. Hard tread gives longer life but less traction. Soft tread gives great braking power but shorter life. Always some kind of trade off.

A friend of mine uses the ebay heads for all 22r/e trucks and has great luck with them. Next build I do I am going to just go with a new head over having one sent to the machine shop.
Old 03-02-2017, 07:18 AM

Truck wasn't pulling hills like I thought it should so I put a timing light on it and found that something was very wrong. Looked fine with the stock carb but with the Weber I was way off. Called LCE and they instructed me on resetting my camshaft timing. Now it runs good and has power. Glad I didn't *touch* the carburetor settings.
Old 03-04-2017, 02:23 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

A Webber set right runs great and so much easier to work on the truck. If you get in cold tempertures, you will like how quick a Webber fires off. My Aisin is a pain in the cold weather.
Old 03-05-2017, 09:10 AM

Originally Posted by Terrys87
A Webber set right runs great and so much easier to work on the truck. If you get in cold tempertures, you will like how quick a Webber fires off. My Aisin is a pain in the cold weather.
My biggest problem with the aisin was it always wanted to run rich. Even a rebuilt one that I still have. The Weber runs very very well and the exhaust doesn't smell at all. I honestly don't think I'll ever touch the factory settings on it. It just works right out of the box.

Quick Reply: 1984 Toyota Pickup 4x4