Pre 84 Trucks (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

ToyotaDon's 1982 SR5 Longbed

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2016, 09:29 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That's a 4K truck here in Florida , I wish I could find something that nice 1700, I'd have a couple of trucks
Old 08-21-2016, 11:18 AM

By now, I'm hoping it's worth more than that.
Old 08-25-2016, 07:50 PM

Do you instrument lights work? Any chance of a quick video , I looked around and didn't see much online. Wanted to see if they look cool enough to get mine working
Old 08-26-2016, 09:51 AM

Received 70 Likes on 58 Posts
Originally Posted by ToyotaDon
Guess I'll go ahead and update this. Last we checked, I had done a temporary repair on the passenger window regulator. Not long after that, I picked up a pair of complete doors to pull parts off of (plan is to keep some of the parts, and sell others), so I tackled the driver regulator next.

It was in a lot worse shape!

I had the same problem with my driver side regulator, with the teeth stripped off. One reason for that is the back side of the handle gear has a bushing missing on the shaft. This mis-aligns the gear on the shaft stripping the top of the teeth off. I fashioned a bushing and spot welded it to the housing. Also spot welded some new material to the top of the teeth and filed back to the original profile
Old 08-30-2016, 03:48 PM

Originally Posted by 1980 Pinellas
Do you instrument lights work? Any chance of a quick video , I looked around and didn't see much online. Wanted to see if they look cool enough to get mine working
I will try to get a video for you. They aren't too bad at night.

Originally Posted by Lons81
I had the same problem with my driver side regulator, with the teeth stripped off. One reason for that is the back side of the handle gear has a bushing missing on the shaft. This mis-aligns the gear on the shaft stripping the top of the teeth off. I fashioned a bushing and spot welded it to the housing. Also spot welded some new material to the top of the teeth and filed back to the original profile
Is that the shaft you can see unseated from the hole in the regulator? I am hanging onto this one, in case myself or someone else needs to fix it someday. I've also been noticing I need to put the better one in the passenger door, as it's starting to slip already.
Old 08-30-2016, 05:02 PM

cool , can't wait to get working dash light and running lights, probably not as happy as the people behind me although with 32" tires and a stock 22r that's a small crowd

thanks for sharing
Old 09-01-2016, 07:45 AM

Received 70 Likes on 58 Posts
[QUOTE=ToyotaDon;52333144 Is that the shaft you can see unseated from the hole in the regulator? I am hanging onto this one, in case myself or someone else needs to fix it someday. I've also been noticing I need to put the better one in the passenger door, as it's starting to slip already.[/QUOTE]

Comparing the right side to the drivers side, there appears to have a little cap or bushing that fits over the end of the shaft. Once it is gone or worn out, the shaft will woller around in the opening and wear out the hole or the teeth. Mine was the same as this one circled in yellow

Old 09-15-2016, 10:39 AM

I have some cool stuff to post, including a purchase I made for it this week, but everything is still sitting in the back of my Cruiser.

I did try to drive it to work today, but as it was idling and we were loading up, I noticed coolant leaking again near the bottom radiator hose. Hopefully it's just a clamp; I'll check it when I get some time.
Old 09-15-2016, 12:49 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Just got done catching up on your thread and like seeing what it is starting to look like. Great job!!!
Old 09-18-2016, 05:52 PM

It looks like the coolant leak was just a clamp, so that was easily taken care of.

I took this trip on Tuesday.
http://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/phot...#post-10580806

Brought back a bench seat, and front & rear 4X4Labs bumpers for the truck.

It's a little dirty, and I'll have to build something for the center portion to be able to seat three across.

The front bumper probably won't end up on this truck.

Maybe it should go on the Cruiser?

Old 09-18-2016, 06:03 PM

We moved on to fitting the rear bumper.

The exhaust pipe will have to change.

The hitch is welded to the frame, and the bumper brackets were welded to that, and well as bolted to the frame.

The only type of cutoff tool I had on hand was the Dremel, so why not try it?

Right after that, the wheel exploded.

I went through a few wheels, but got it done.

I'm thinking I'll leave the swingout bases on there, and have them low enough the tailgate can open. It looks like that should work.

There's about 5 inches to go forward, after I cut the hitch bracket to fit.

I will also have to do something where the flares are.

That's all for now. Next is sanding, priming, & painting.
Old 11-17-2016, 04:00 PM

My class was studying universal joints, so I showed the students how to put my front driveshaft back together.

The little grease plug for the CV ball joint was in pretty bad shape, and I forgot to put it back in before assembly. Trying to install it later just led to more damage.

I looked at using a little retainer clip with sealer instead, but it was even harder to get in position.

With a little trimming, it might have gone, but in the meantime I found the best way to access the hole...

...and the plug popped in securely.

Old 11-17-2016, 04:57 PM

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
Nice work!!!
Old 11-21-2016, 02:00 PM

Pulled the doors, seats, & carpet out.

Doors had some repairs done.

Carpet will be cleaned.

Seat will become a bench.

I spent some time when it was still sunny painting the rusty ends of the sliders. Now I need to pick it up from Talon, who welded the center of the frame back together.