Pre 84 Trucks (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

toy_tek's 1983 work-in-progress with 3RZ swap

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2018, 06:16 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
toy_tek's 1983 work-in-progress with 3RZ swap

#1983toyota

I've been away from YT as a regular for quite awhile, and recently have come to the realization that this is probably the best place to put this thread. In full disclosure, I had started documenting this truck on the MC site (am i allowed to link to that?) last year after I got it in January of 2017. For a few reasons (one being Photobucket ), I've decided to abandon that thread and do it here.

First post text from the other site:
This is my 4th Toyota, previously had an 87 4x4 (rebuilt the 22re), an 86 MR2 for a few years in the early 2000s, then 15 years ago I bought my 97 4Runner which has been significantly modded, wheeled, explored and DD over a large portion of the continental U.S., clocking 200k in that time.

So the plan for this new-to-me 1983 SR5 is to keep it looking somewhat like it did when I got it (stockish), fix and/or update items & issues along the way, and basically keep it in service for the foreseeable future of internal combustion piston engines. Plans include a 3RZ swap, addition of A/C, a modern invisible sound system (ok amp & speakers), some real bed tie-downs, and I'm sure I'll add to the list.

A little background: I'm the 3rd owner. The truck was originally purchased as a blue SR5 in SoCal, and according to the story, was daily driven from Long Beach to Redlands or something like that for years by the original owner. I'm not sure why, but a repaint happened toward the end of his ownership, I'm told his wife went to Home Depot, picked out a color, and had the truck sprayed. It isn't a bad paint job, they removed most of the interior for it, but kept the engine bay original. I believe the bedliner was sprayed about the same time, as well as a Rancho lift of a few inches installed. "About 20" years ago the second owner bought it. He moved from SoCal to Phoenix and used it as a DD. Unfortunately he wasn't very mechanical, so while the body/frame are in great condition, the mechanicals seemed neglected. The engine was replaced two times (I don't know why), the brakes were maintained well, and most of the electrical was fairly intact. Everything else needed attention.

A partial list of stuff done in the past year:
  • Virtually new seats from a Scion
  • Knuckle rebuild w Marlin parts
  • SS brake lines
  • 31x10.5x15 BFG AT's
  • Wheels removed, blasted, painted
  • Rebuilt the Aisin hubs
  • Replacement center dash bezel NOS
  • Made new door panels, got new window cranks and lock parts.
  • Dash and various interior stuff was sprayed black. I had serious reservations about painting interior parts - but it turned out pretty dang nice.
  • Replaced various broken parts: new modified drivers window regulator (from 1985+) , new heater valve (from 85+), lots of 22r stuff was done at the beginning that I'm not gonna list here cuz it makes me mad haha.
  • Lockheed Martin bed cargo tie-downs
  • Drag link rebuild
  • Bilstien 5100 shocks all around
  • I'll update this as things come back to me...

Currently the old Cali emissions 22r, L52 and transfer case are removed and a 1999 Tacoma 3RZ is on my engine stand being built up from a bare block. I have a W56 (I believe it's an 85) that I've cleaned up and installed new input/output seals in, and the transfer case received the same as well as a new output shaft bearing. I'm in the process of sorting through existing wiring, figuring out what I can eliminate (lots of Cali emissions stuff!), and planning basically strip down the engine bay for paint and replacing all the stuff that needs it... as well as doing a 1" master cylinder & V6 calipers while I'm in there.

As it is with these projects, I've hit a few snags already but have hopefully been able to work through them. One was the LC engineering balance-shaft delete kit tap broke off inside the block. Another is that the engine shop somehow did not set the valve clearances correctly, and I didn't check it until I had the head installed on the block. The replacement "low mileage" transfer case I bought from a fellow YT guy in Ohio has rust inside on the gears, so that's why my original one (with about 280k) is now going back in. I sure hope the trans I got from him works - so far it looks ok - but I won't know for sure until the engine is running obviously.

Last edited by toy_tek; 02-14-2018 at 09:05 AM.
Old 02-13-2018, 06:39 PM

The 3rz being prepped. LC swap header.
w56 and my helper
Old 02-13-2018, 06:44 PM

Interior

How can i resize these?
Old 02-14-2018, 08:47 AM

Received 147 Likes on 105 Posts
Nice another '83 gettting a 3rz. Your rig is WAAAAAYYYY nicer than mine lol. What are you doing for a fuel tank? How about wiring?
Old 02-14-2018, 09:02 AM

I really haven’t got to either of those items yet, but I think I’m just going to add an inline fuel pump and retain the stock tank. As far as wiring (at this point i think) I will probably pare down the stock 3rz harness to run it stand alone, and only integrate what I need like VSS and whatever else. Planning to ditch EGR & evap systems for simplicity.

always open to swap suggestions & info!
Old 02-14-2018, 09:12 AM

I keep watching CL and the FB toyota buy sell page for part outs looking for a 2nd/3rd gen EFI tank, they're supposed to be bolt-in. For the wiring I didn't get much of the original harness with the truck so I'm swapping in the entire harness from the donor.

I also bought the balance shaft delete from LCE, and words of advice when doing it? Also do you have any pictures of the front of the motor torn down? I got mine as a stripped block so I'm a little nervous when it comes to putting it back together.
Old 02-14-2018, 09:39 AM

If you’re using the balance shaft delete kit, the timing install is pretty simple. Check out the LCE video for the shaft delete and they basically cover everything you need for the remaining parts of the timing chain install. P.m. me your email address and I will send you the photos that I have when I did the teardown. I’m in a similar boat because I got my engine out of a backyard for 50 bucks and it was mostly disassembled except for the head, block, Pistons and crank.

If I were going to do the balance shaft delete on another engine, when it comes to drilling and tapping for the oil port plug, I would just weld the port shut and grind it flat. Way simpler. I wish I would’ve seen that option posted somewhere, or that LCE Would have mentioned that as an option to drilling and tapping. The block is super hard, and breaking a tap off in there is not a good feeling. I’m no stranger to using a tap over the last 20 years and honestly don’t remember one other instance of breaking one. I suppose the other thing that kind of ticks me off is that I’m pretty sure LCE includes a cheap Chinese tap in that $100 kit. Maybe if I had used a legitimate quality USA tap it wouldn’t have broke.
Old 02-14-2018, 09:54 AM

Great thanks for the info!
Old 02-14-2018, 06:13 PM

For those that have converted to hi-steer, please let me know if you have a drop drag link you want to get rid of. Mine is straight and the aft end sometime contacts the U bolt.

also looking for AC parts
Old 02-15-2018, 08:46 PM

Received 42 Likes on 27 Posts
[QUOTE=toy_tek;52390595]
For those that have converted to hi-steer, please let me know if you have a drop drag link you want to get rid of. Mine is straight and the aft end sometime contacts the U bolt.

I'm just guessing here but would the flat Old Man emu Ubolts help with this issue?
http://www.lowrangeoffroad.com/toyot...mu-omeu52.html
Old 02-16-2018, 07:46 AM

Originally Posted by Abraham Contreras
I'm just guessing here but would the flat Old Man emu Ubolts help with this issue?
Thanks for the information, I did not know those were available. I’m not sure if one would help or not. I do know that a drop link would be the correct fix, as the geometry is off just slightly the way it is.
Old 02-16-2018, 08:27 AM

Originally Posted by toy_tek

Thanks for the information, I did not know those were available. I’m not sure if one would help or not. I do know that a drop link would be the correct fix, as the geometry is off just slightly the way it is.
Ya you're right. Might as well do it right the first time
Old 02-20-2018, 10:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Truck looks good. I like the look of the bfg's too.
Being you're in AZ, how do these trucks do with passing emissions both in AZ and CA? Kindcof tossing around the idea of a move to the SWest somewhere.
Old 02-20-2018, 08:30 PM

Originally Posted by 95yoda
Truck looks good. I like the look of the bfg's too.
Being you're in AZ, how do these trucks do with passing emissions both in AZ and CA? Kindcof tossing around the idea of a move to the SWest somewhere.
thanks, its coming along.

AZ isn’t as strict as CA. There are 2 areas of the state that require emissions every 2 years, and the rest does not have emission requirements.. For swaps it’s much better in AZ, as the truck still only need to meet emissions for the original vehicle model year as opposed to the engine year (like CA requires), and typically there is no visual inspection as far as I’m aware.
Old 02-21-2018, 04:40 AM

Yeah CA does seem to be the most strict. I've lived there before but only with newer vehicles. Not sure an old 1st gen without CA emissions would pass their testing? Or even AZ.
Old 02-21-2018, 05:47 AM

Yeah CA does seem to be the most strict. I've lived there before but only with newer vehicles. Not sure an old 1st gen without CA emissions would pass their testing? Or even AZ.
My first gen passed emissions here in CA but the guy still failed me because i was missing the exhaust manifold heat shield lol
Old 02-21-2018, 11:49 AM

Originally Posted by Abraham Contreras
My first gen passed emissions here in CA but the guy still failed me because i was missing the exhaust manifold heat shield lol
I actually have that on my truck lol.
does yours have CA emissions on it?
Old 02-21-2018, 11:54 AM

I actually have that on my truck lol.
does yours have CA emissions on it?
I ended up finding one at the local pick a part and yes my truck does have the CA emissions.
Old 02-27-2018, 07:44 PM

Scored an original a/c system from an 82, I’ll refurb what I can and replace the rest. This is really a game changer (for me) here in AZ. Still looking for 3rz a/c compressor, power steering pump, brackets for both as well as engine mount brackets. It seems the swap shopping list is never ending
Old 02-27-2018, 08:15 PM

It NEVER ends lol

Quick Reply: toy_tek's 1983 work-in-progress with 3RZ swap