Pre 84 Trucks (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

redsyota's 1979 Pickup Build-Up Thread "Blue Ox"

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2010, 11:56 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Smile redsyota's 1979 Pickup Build-Up Thread "Blue Ox"

Hey guys, new to the site here and figured i'd get around to posting some pictures along with a few questions.

when I bought it:

getting it home with the parts truck:

before i could get the parts truck off the trailer disaster struck:

How she sits now:

It was an adventure but i think I got a good deal on them. They are both 79's but the red one had a 22r and 5 speed swapped at some point. Since these pictures the red truck was cut up for scrap (but i saved everything i could). The blue truck has a 20r and 4 speed but has been swapped over to the 22r 5spd. right now i'm left with tackling the wiring nightmare. I'm having trouble finding accurate/detailed wiring diagrams. the ones in the chiltons manual suck! as do the ones on the autozone website. I need emissions control wiring and ac wiring so that i can remove them from the harness and get this thing on the road with the "new" drivetrain. any suggestions would be great.

All in all its going to be fun, I hope to be posting quite a bit more here!
Old 03-22-2010, 12:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I love first gens... just remember not to hack any thing and be patient, your best bet is to re-wire the whole truck yourself, its gonna be a while before you get everything sorted out, but is well worth it in the end... good luck man.
Old 03-27-2010, 09:16 PM

Update: got her running but i'm having trouble finding wiring dagrams that match anything on the truck. I'm going to clean it up and take it for a drive and see how it runs. I'm planning a trip to disney, ok the first week of june so i'm trying to get things wrapped up. Picked up a used pair of 33" boggers today now i'm just looking for a set of matching wagon wheels. Next week i'm hoping to find someone to weld my spiders in the rear and get new shifter bushings. pics to come

red
Old 03-28-2010, 04:32 PM

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
NICE!!
Take more pictures!
Old 03-28-2010, 04:39 PM

Received 273 Likes on 184 Posts
right on !! .. but 33s will require some lift !!

Old 09-30-2010, 08:13 PM

good luck. good lookin yoda
Old 09-06-2011, 06:26 PM

...... update soon

Last edited by redsyota; 09-06-2011 at 06:31 PM. Reason: wrong pics
Old 09-06-2011, 08:59 PM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
hmmmm...updates

since it has been a year I am sure it will be a cool update
Old 09-10-2011, 08:47 PM

Originally Posted by ocdropzone
hmmmm...updates

since it has been a year I am sure it will be a cool update
Yessum! Workin on a blue '80 longbed myself.. lets see how she looks! PS. I might need a part or two if any are left from red!
Old 09-11-2011, 04:23 PM

project up date!!!!!! finally

The original motor got tired so i picked up a low mileage 87 r22r ans swapped it. replaced all the gaskets except the head and found a good deal on a new weber and hooker header.

nothing too showy and it runs a million times better.

I wheeled it with no bed open diffs and bald 33" xterrains. I had a blast but didnt take many pictures

I scored a flatbed off a late 80's nissan for $20. its all 3/16ths and stout! i also took the time to install new crager v-5(3.5 backspaced) wheels and cooper stt's in the 33x12.50 size and also the 3" rough country lift kit. It was very cheap and worked for what i needed then (see after thoughts)

got bored with all the rust and bondo so i stripped it down sort of

a donor hood and a pair of good doors got installed and ford blue tractor paint was sprayed on. took 3 cans of primer and 4 cans of blue. came out much too nice for the beater she really is.

so i put it back together and wheeled the piss out of it after welding the 4.37 carriers of course.

scored an xrc8 for $200 and made a winch mount on the cnc plasma

I swapped in an ifs rear housing and 1.5" spacers on the front. Then i got a wild hair to cut all the unneeded unwanted parts off the flat bed.
removed nearly 200lbs! plus the led's are pure sex!!!

Since all of this was done I built a bumper off of my winch mount but dont have any pictures. I also replaced the fuel tank with one from an 85 from rockauto (direct swap, although i did make a new sending unit/fuel pick up because mine was beyond rusted). the frame from the cab back got stripped and reinforced with plate then painted black as well as rewiring the harness for the new lights. The suspension is a joke... Seriously it was a great deal for $350 4 new springs 4 new shocks and all the tid bits to swap it over...but it rides terrible and does not flew very well at all as you can see in a few of the pics. I have RUF packs made already (6 leaf and one antiwrap) with new bushings, trailgear hysteer, marlin 5.5" shackles, u bolt flip, caster shims, 12" bilsteins, ford shock towers, ifs box mount and extended brakelines all in a pile ready to go on. i still need an ifs box and i should be ready to tear into it. meanwhile i ordered 5.29's and a spool and spartan locker and they are being setup in a spare set of thirds i had around. once all that is on i'm looking to fix the rear suspension, either the chevy springs or something off the shelf would be nice and get bigger meats. torn between 35" mtr's, 36 iroks, or 35" stt's. The truck needs rewired very badly and the cab is pretty much shot/beyond the wast of my time to fix. So i'm looking for a donor cab local to kansas that i can swap and rewire then. I travel for work so i dont get much wrench time but hopefully this fall i can get moving on it again.

any ideas, hints, comments feel free to post up. I love my first gen!

Red
Old 09-19-2011, 07:22 PM

Exclamation Here we go

Well I finally got around to signing up. Great pics I love the ˟˟˟˟ out of that truck just glad you made me buy my own.
Old 09-19-2011, 08:34 PM

very nice! i was thinking of a flatbed for my 87 but havent got around to doing so, man do i need to upload some more pics hahah, good lookin rig though!