Pre 84 Trucks (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

My 1980 RN47 build

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2017, 09:15 AM

Received 184 Likes on 132 Posts
Neighbors with zebras?? Man you are in the boonies! Man I love those first gen pickups, I had an 83 for a while but the round headlights are just so much cooler.
Old 05-02-2017, 09:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Terrys87
Truck is looking better. Cleaning up better then I would of thought it would. I am going to look into the electric fuel pump for the 22r I am working on. Once you get it started it runs great once started but can be a hard start when sitting for a period of time.
try letting it run for a little bit before you start the truck
Old 05-02-2017, 11:55 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
"dont forget about it now with that new 4runner lol"
@86toy- I definately wont lol. Im a first gen guy for life, just missing the 4runner i placed into the capable hands of my youngest boy. I have several first gens in a barn on our family property in North Carolina that i've been stashing for a long time that are in various stages of completion. It is hard to not pull parts off them for this 80 but they are complete trucks and im trying to keep them locked away for the kids. Theyre all crazy about Toyotas.

Cory boonies is right. Im trying to find a place to hang my hat thats not so far off the grid but it is cool to see the neighbors animals. They have some cattle that ive never seen before. The zebras are mean and do bite so i cant let the granbabies get too close to them. Glad to hear you had a good trip with your family in your upgraded 4runner. You got it lookin good!

Terry, thank you. Hope your doing well with all the crazy weather out there. The old electric fuel pump in my 80 seems to lose prime when it got hot. The new one i got from amazon, i mounted it as far down on the inner fender as possible. Its much quieter than the old mr gasket unit that was on here and i havent had an issue with it getting hot yet. The truck had been sitting for almost two weeks after the new pump install. I went out, turned the switch, gave the pedal two pumps, and she fired right up. I was very suprised and pleased with the result of the new installation. I can get the name and specs of the pump if your interested. I had is shipped from amazon for under 25 bucks total.
Old 05-02-2017, 06:34 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Seeing your truck really makes me want another first Gen pickup. I've had three 83's so far. I really wish I had kept the last one, the body and bed were in pretty good shape. My neighbor has a yellow 79' or 80' that I've been wanting to rescue every since we moved here 5 yrs ago. It's getting in worse shape every year (had 2 feet of snow sitting on it this year, can't believe the roof isn't caved in yet) the bed is about completely rusted apart, but for some reason I still want it, lol.

That's awesome that you have a bunch of first gens stashed away, they're getting harder and harder to find in decent shape.

Last edited by rustED; 05-02-2017 at 06:36 PM.
Old 05-02-2017, 06:57 PM

I know what you mean Ed. The 81 i had previously sat behind a fence and each friday for over 10 years i would stop and ask the guy to sell it. He finally gave in and sold it to me. I wish that i could have finished that one since i had nearly a thousand hours in it but my health got in the way, med bills piled up, and had to sell alot of stuff off. Im not gonna let this one go unfinished, even if it takes my last breath lol
Old 05-04-2017, 02:03 PM

Finally got my body lead kit in today. Let the leading begin! All this pesky little rust holes will soon be a thing of the past.
Old 06-23-2017, 07:24 PM

Metal fabrication and body work is my strong suit but with limited time, i have sent the bed to a buddys weld shop to be repaired. Ive known him for over 30 years and that doesnt get in the way of his prices haha. He will have it for a few weeks. I really cant wait to get it back
Old 06-24-2017, 01:56 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
dont see very many people that can use lead filler anymore I went through auto body in trade school and the old fella that taught that showed us how lead and I got to use it on a 60's model chevy pickup! the paint on the 1st gen cleaned up good, if you are one of those guys that likes patina that would work good I tried to clean up the paint on my 82 but it just dissolved down to the primer so I gave up. That runner looks good it does not have the cali tail sag too it. OME under it?
Old 06-24-2017, 05:11 PM

Originally Posted by dirtdobberoffroad
dont see very many people that can use lead filler anymore I went through auto body in trade school and the old fella that taught that showed us how lead and I got to use it on a 60's model chevy pickup! the paint on the 1st gen cleaned up good, if you are one of those guys that likes patina that would work good I tried to clean up the paint on my 82 but it just dissolved down to the primer so I gave up. That runner looks good it does not have the cali tail sag too it. OME under it?
I like the lead work alot. Learned from my grandpa on an old 68 mustang. Its definately a craft i wont forget.
Sure wish i could save the paint on the bed but there is gonna be too much welding going on i think.
Im not sure of the springs on the 4runner. Havent got past the top end rebuild just yet. Maybe i got lucky? My 86 still has the original springs in it but then again theres a 2" block in it.
Thanks for checking in. Cant wait to see yours done.
Old 07-24-2017, 06:57 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by flg8r22
During an archaeological dig in the Georgia clay, I was able to find a 1980 4x4.
I'm almost afraid to chisel it all off, thinking the drivetrain might fall on my head

The clay did preserve everything nicely. This is the left inner frame rail. I was unable to see it just a short time ago.
Looking up at some more broken wires. I'm guessing at it may be the 4wd light for my dash?
Now that's a zero tolerance u joint
( "During an archaeological dig in the Georgia clay, I was able to find a 1980 4x4." )

I laughed my butt off when I read that...There's probably 100 lbs of dirt stuck to the bottom of that rig.
Old 07-24-2017, 08:26 AM

Man your not kidding. I would have re-used the clay for my tomato plants but it was too saturated with grease. I'm still looking for a decent long bed to finish this project up
Old 07-24-2017, 03:20 PM

Received 70 Likes on 58 Posts
Good reason to take cab and bed off and sandblast the snot out it. LOL
Old 07-24-2017, 04:50 PM

Hey Lon hows your build going? I found a very nice bed in Alabama i just need to have a bigger reason to drive out there. Maybe another truck or three
Old 07-24-2017, 06:32 PM

Received 70 Likes on 58 Posts
Originally Posted by flg8r22
Hey Lon hows your build going? I found a very nice bed in Alabama i just need to have a bigger reason to drive out there. Maybe another truck or three
Hey Tony. Just about wrapped up the harness replacement. Found a couple of mistakes last weekend, so had to re-pin a couple of connectors. Still checking your site for possible needs, keep them coming. Take care Bro
Old 07-25-2017, 06:05 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Post some tips on doing lead if you dont mind. Something I have always wanted to learn. Sometimes the grease and mud is a protective coating. A mess to clean up but does save the underneath. I spend more time washing under my trucks as I do the body. Keeps grease and dirt out of my eyes but to also try to keep rust at bay.
Old 07-26-2017, 12:06 PM

Will do Terry. As soon as things slow down a bit i will try my hand at making a video
Old 08-02-2017, 07:14 PM

off the Toyota subject what do you think about those new F250s? I have always been a ford guy and the new 250 are sweet looking. I drive a 2015 for work with the 6.2 gas engine and I really like it other than the 12mpg.
Old 08-02-2017, 07:36 PM

Dirtdobber, I love them for the creature comforts. I rent them from Enterprise once in a while when I need some luxury. I'm way too old to have a 1300 a month Truck payment lol. The diesel runs so nice and the mileage towing was between 17 & 18 but then again, Floriduh is flat.
Old 08-02-2017, 07:46 PM

yeah this part of Missouri is too. and yeah I couldn't take that payment either. done any thing new to the 1st gen?
Old 08-03-2017, 08:49 AM

I've installed my tilt column that I've been hanging on to for years and picked up the tilt clamshell and an SR5 cluster from dropzone.

I sent a door panel out to RustEd in Washington so he can make some new steel panels for them.

Im still trying to find a local metal shop to make new floors for the 1st Gen but haven't been able to get a yes yet. Also still looking for a good long bed. I have a rust free on my Mojave but don't want to part that one out. Thanks for checking in!