Pre 84 Trucks (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

Lons81 Toy Long Bed Rebuild

Old 07-19-2017, 08:49 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
That sucks you lost the pics on photobucket Lon. I've just been uploading to YT straight from my phone. It's a lot quicker. Hope your doin well. T
Old 07-23-2017, 02:45 PM

Received 70 Likes on 58 Posts
Well I hope I haven't missed anything in re-posting pics, but I'm done with Photobucket. I downloaded all my albums to my computer, then using the Yota upload feature, got everything that I can remember re-posted

You can read the information on doing this at this thread https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f121...t-woes-301160/
Old 08-02-2017, 07:43 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I just went through this build again and almost went out to the shop at 1/4 till 11pm on a work day to tear into mine....keep it up Lon!
Old 08-03-2017, 07:18 AM

Originally Posted by dirtdobberoffroad
I just went through this build again and almost went out to the shop at 1/4 till 11pm on a work day to tear into mine....keep it up Lon!
Thanks. Just about finished with installing the new wiring harness. Hopefully once that is done, re-assembly will go pretty fast to get to paint, as have pre-fit most sub assemblies. It's been a long trip getting to this point
Old 12-17-2017, 04:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Where are you Lon? Give us an update, please!...
Old 12-17-2017, 05:31 PM

Originally Posted by maistroyoda
Where are you Lon? Give us an update, please!...
Thanks for asking. I have run into a lot of heath problems of late that is keeping me from working on my project. Finally got my knees sorted out, Then arthritis has set in on both thumbs which makes for painful wrenching. Doctors still trying to find the right medicine to work. Back in October I lifted a 5 gallon gas can up to fill my tractor, and pulled either a tendon or muscle, similar to a rotator cuff tear. Any ways, it's still very painful to lift arm above shoulder and move out at 90 degrees.

I'm still around, looking and staying updated, and contribute where I can. Ya'll take care and Merry Christmas/Happy New Year to all
Old 12-17-2017, 05:38 PM

Hope you get better soon. BTW, I read and was truly helped by your thread on repairing the fuel sending unit on our trucks. Thank you for that, I would've never thought of that myself.
Old 12-20-2017, 09:14 PM

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
This is an incredible resto-mod thread, Lon!

Hate to hear about the health problems holding you back. Where's that grandson of yours, anyway? Ideally, the younger generation's supposed to be the muscle while you teach all the many things you know about.

It's great reading through your thread, gives me inspiration to try and do this job even half as good on my '85 someday.
Old 04-19-2018, 04:28 PM
MVP

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wow, amazing craftsmanship in your work and detail in your posts.
Old 05-12-2018, 05:47 AM

excellent work

It is a very laborious job that you are doing in your yota. I hope you finish it very soon, since I would like to see it finished.
Old 05-12-2018, 09:29 AM

Originally Posted by ozgarort
It is a very laborious job that you are doing in your yota. I hope you finish it very soon, since I would like to see it finished.
Thanks. I've been halted from working on it for a while, just had shoulder surgery last month, so I'm into the rehab phase. Yeah I would like to get her finished up before the end of summer, as I've got a 67 California Bug next in line
Old 03-22-2020, 12:03 PM

Received 41 Likes on 36 Posts
Outstanding work, Lon! I’m subscribed! This has to be my favorite build thread I’ve come across! Not only have you been meticulous in your work on the truck, but also documenting it here.

Have you been able to get anything else done to it or is your health limiting you? It sure makes it hard when you have musculoskeletal problems. I’m a former Marine that has a lot of shoulder and knee problems from the service. I have had two surgeries on my left shoulder. My last one wasn’t far from you. I had it done at Baylor in Dallas. I’m actually a Physical Therapist that works for the VA so I am very familiar with these type of problems.
Old 03-22-2020, 01:18 PM

Received 633 Likes on 510 Posts
I’m a former Marine that has a lot of shoulder and knee problems from the service.
Semper Fi, Brother!
Join the club. Bad knees, shoulders, even a bad elbow. That one I can lay at the doorstep of a motorcycle accident, at least. After 3 motorcycle accidents, one that darn near killed me when a horse ran out in front of me at 60MPH, I can relate. Also managed to break my left foot much later, which gave me one leg shorter than the other, left kneecap, which is still mending, and at the same time, my right wrist. My right arm looks like a cyborg's under an x-ray. Metal plate most of the length the radius, and a nice metal plate on the wrist. Doctor told me the elbow would need replacing when I got older, but it's still good so far, just bad pain when the rain/show comes, or it gets too cold. That's what I get for trying to break my fall as I flew up and over a little old lady that pulled out in front of me. It was a nice, if short, flight, too

My middle daughter, also a former Marine, has a bad hip she's getting replaced as soon as the hospital permits. Collapsed arches, which shortened her to a reasonable height finally. She was a tall, willowy, blond, when she was in. Got a number of modeling offers, for when she got out. I am glad I had a few weapons around the house to keep the flocks of men away that were chasing her
Sadly, like much of the rest of her unit that was "over there", she now suffers from seizures, so that little modeling job is out the window. At least, unlike her crazy father (me), she never rode a motorcycle

I wish you all good fortune! This IS a great rebuild thread. I am really enjoying the capabilities you demonstrate, as well as the results you've achieved. Definately something to be proud of!
Pat☺

Last edited by 2ToyGuy; 03-22-2020 at 01:20 PM.
Old 03-22-2020, 01:28 PM

Originally Posted by 2ToyGuy
Semper Fi, Brother!
Join the club. Bad knees, shoulders, even a bad elbow. That one I can lay at the doorstep of a motorcycle accident, at least. After 3 motorcycle accidents, one that darn near killed me when a horse ran out in front of me at 60MPH, I can relate. Also managed to break my left foot much later, which gave me one leg shorter than the other, left kneecap, which is still mending, and at the same time, my right wrist. My right arm looks like a cyborg's under an x-ray. Metal plate most of the length the radius, and a nice metal plate on the wrist. Doctor told me the elbow would need replacing when I got older, but it's still good so far, just bad pain when the rain/show comes, or it gets too cold. That's what I get for trying to break my fall as I flew up and over a little old lady that pulled out in front of me. It was a nice, if short, flight, too

My middle daughter, also a former Marine, has a bad hip she's getting replaced as soon as the hospital permits. Collapsed arches, which shortened her to a reasonable height finally. She was a tall, willowy, blond, when she was in. Got a number of modeling offers, for when she got out. I am glad I had a few weapons around the house to keep the flocks of men away that were chasing her
Sadly, like much of the rest of her unit that was "over there", she now suffers from seizures, so that little modeling job is out the window. At least, unlike her crazy father (me), she never rode a motorcycle

I wish you all good fortune! This IS a great rebuild thread. I am really enjoying the capabilities you demonstrate, as well as the results you've achieved. Definately something to be proud of!
Pat☺
Semper Fi, Brother! I hope all is well in your part of the world, Pat

Lon is a class act! Not only has he emailed me the FSM but he has also emailed me some pics I requested. I look forward to seeing an update on this build.
Old 03-22-2020, 06:14 PM

Originally Posted by Groundpounder17
Semper Fi, Brother! I hope all is well in your part of the world, Pat

Lon is a class act! Not only has he emailed me the FSM but he has also emailed me some pics I requested. I look forward to seeing an update on this build.
Thanks. My grandson was in the Marines for 6 years, now living in Houston. I’m a retired E7 Chief from the Navy, on 12 acres in Stephenville Tx. I hope to get started wrenching again soon. Gotta finish up the wiring and get the dash put together.
Old 03-22-2020, 08:08 PM

Originally Posted by Lons81
Thanks. My grandson was in the Marines for 6 years, now living in Houston. I’m a retired E7 Chief from the Navy, on 12 acres in Stephenville Tx. I hope to get started wrenching again soon. Gotta finish up the wiring and get the dash put together.
I’m originally from the SE Arkansas/NE Louisiana state line area. I currently live in Louisville, KY, but I applied to a promotion to the Houston VA. I am afraid that with everything going on right now that all positional hiring is frozen.
Old 06-01-2020, 07:24 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
incredible talent displayed here....I would love to have some of that!!!
Old 02-10-2023, 02:07 PM

Lon's Passing & funeral arrangements

Hello, this is Nancy Powell, Lon's wife. He wanted me to post here so y'all would know that he has passed. Lon has struggled with COPD & pulmonary fibrosis, both progressive diseases, for some time now.

Friday the Feb 3rd I took him to the Stephenville ER and Sunday they transported him to Ft Worth as he was not improving. He was struggling to take a decent breath. He was ready to meet his maker but wanted to go home first. Wednesday we were able t get him home around 4pm and he passed around 7pm. Funeral arrangements are as follow:

- Visitation Monday 5-7pm at Lacy Funeral home in Stephenville, TX
- Tuesday Funeral service at Cottonwood Baptist Church in Dublin, TX at 10am, then lunch provided by the church
- Burial at Laural Land Cemetery in Ft Worth, TX at 2pm
Old 02-10-2023, 03:11 PM

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts
Hate to hear that. Sorry for your loss.
Old 02-13-2023, 12:49 AM

Received 42 Likes on 27 Posts
Hi Nancy,

I’m so sorry and saddened to hear about Lons passing. He was always so helpful in this forum and will be missed. My condolences to you and the family.