Pre 84 Trucks (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

Foxx249's 1980 Longbed Build-up Thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2012, 07:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Foxx249's 1980 Longbed Build-up Thread

Been posting weekly on my thread on pirate, but not many people respond so I'm losing motivation on posting there. Instead, I'll post the entire build on here

Just a teaser until I can transfer some stuff over from the pirate build...

The day I bought it...

How it looks now:

More to come
Old 07-28-2012, 08:51 PM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
it's got potential..whats the story with the bed bar?
Old 07-28-2012, 09:08 PM

Originally Posted by dropzone
it's got potential..whats the story with the bed bar?
The bed bar became the front bumper xD it had no use, it was welded to the bed so I chopped the top off and welded it to the front. I'm gonna update the thread to match the pirate one now
Old 07-28-2012, 09:11 PM

Starting from the pirate thread now...

Starting my first build thread as it's starting to get close to drivable.
You don't have to read any of this - just my story of the build so far.

During my spring break (I'm a Junior in High School) I went on a camping/muddin' trip with a few buddies out in Chillicothe Illinois (I live in Peoria). We built a fire, camped out, had a great night. Woke up in the morning, ate breakfast, and decided to head out for a day full of fun ˟˟˟˟. At the time I was driving my daily driver (and only vehicle) 1993 xtra cab, with the 3.slo in it.

Long story short, hit a foot of water too fast, sucked in water and blew the motor. Sat in the woods for 12 hours before we went home. Truck sat in the creek (which was on state property - never again, will I be so stupid ) for 9 days before I got a buddy (KingOfChilli) to bring his built yota out to get me out and home. Has been a hell of a few months since that happened.

On to the build - Picked up a 1980 longbed with a ˟˟˟˟ ton of stuff missing. Missing windows, all lights, some interior, and a lot of other crap. Sat in the woods for 3 years and hadn't been started...dude on craigslist said I could come try and start it. Went out there, turned the key, and it fired right up. Decided I'd buy it for $500 (hell, a running 20r and solid axle?)...but mainly loved it for the 6 inch lift springs (no blocks) and 35" super swampers. Got the beast home, swapped the tires for my 33" Baja M/T's and got her on two rear wheels while I replace the brake rotors, pads, and calipers. Clutch works great, 4hi and lo work great, got the motor running perfect and I'm psyched. Almost all lighting done.

The stupid carnage that caused all this ˟˟˟˟. This truck, was my baby. I loved it more than most of the things in my life!

Got 4 people with quads out there to pull me out of the creek. It took all 4 lol.

King's rig (KingofChilli on here, I think). He's a great guy and FULL of help. Got me out of the creek, and towed me home all for $70. That was the 2nd time I had ever seen him, so to do that for me was just epic.

Here's the 80 the day I bought it.

She's uhhh...stripped. I nicknamed her eyecandy because as it as sat outside in my driveway, I got 3 notices saying to remove it because it's an 'eyesore' to my neighborhood, and I had 3 people (all of them Jeeps, lol) slam on their brakes or turn around, come back and ask the story behind it.

First thing I did was get it running a lot better. 3 year-old gas and low oil = bad. When started, it sounds like an old man coughing and then proceeding to die. Changed the oil, siphoned all of the gas, put new gas in and put an air filter on it. Then decided I'd put my 33's on there, only to find out the aluminum rims off of my 93 have too little backspacing - the tires rubbed on the tie rods and the leaf springs in the rear when mounted. So, $130 later I had them on steel rims with a lot of back spacing and got her up(ish). Also plugged all of the stupid emissions ˟˟˟˟ that made it run horrible and adjusted the choke. After I plugged off all of the stupid emissions ˟˟˟˟, it ran like a top. Starts right up, sounds great and the choke is adjusted perfectly.

The 2nd day it was home. I nicknamed the blue one Foxxy. Suits her well - everyone I know calls her that!

My first $433 purchase. By the way, brake rotors for a first gen apparently are obsolete around here. I went to 4 places before I found one that had it, and they just had one (thank baby Jesus I only needed one). $72.99+tax, ended up being $79.99...for one rotor that's ˟˟˟˟ing nuts, and they aren't even vented. This entire build is on a huge budget. My buddy has loaned me 100% of the money so far, and now I work 50hrs a week + school so it's going to be getting better as I progress.

Keeping the longbed. I love it for some reason. I think the dumbest ˟˟˟˟ing thing I've ever seen done to a vehicle has been done to this thing +1. So far, most of the wires to lights have been cut...so that's fun. I am cheap so I bought trailer tail lights from advance auto to use as tail lights...and turn signals as well. I think the ˟˟˟˟tiest part about this thing is that the bed is 'painted' with ˟˟˟˟ing bed liner, so every time you brush up against it you cut your arms to ˟˟˟˟. I can't figure out how to get rid of it so I've decided to just bed liner the whole thing, prime it, and paint it OD.

The tan spot you see is me testing how rattle can looks on top of bed liner - it looks pretty good!

33's mounted and now we are to present day. I'm slow at this ˟˟˟˟, so sorry if this takes for-˟˟˟˟ing-ever. Just got a wheel stud, so putting the front hub + brake rotor assembly back together tomorrow. Hopefully have it on all 4's by the end of tomorrow night. Then it will move! I think the painful thing (there are many) about driving this thing is going to be the lack of power steering. It's a workout to move the steering wheel 2 inches standing still...this will be interesting. I do love the ride height! I think it's 6 inch lift springs, but not sure. All I know is my 33's almost look small under it.

Old 07-28-2012, 09:14 PM

My plans - did this while I was in In School Suspension :shaking: I definitely love the idea of making this thing a 4runner style 1st gen...walk through cab, 4runner topper.

Old 07-28-2012, 09:15 PM

Here is the motor. 20r...odometer reads 53,000 but the title says in '02 the beast had 142,5xx so I'm assuming since it was a trail rig and sat for a few years, it's only at 153,000...or I should say I hope!

Old 07-28-2012, 09:16 PM

So far...(5/21/12 by the way at this point, so it was a few months ago and still un-drivable...)

Had to replace the rear wheel cylinder. When pressed in, sand would squirt out and I wasn't getting any pressure (obviously) behind the brake pedal. Replaced driver's side cylinder, and now working on bleeding the master cylinder because the one I ordered was defective

Got a 1st gen dash setup from a buddy for my 35" tsl super swampers. Good trade in my opinion!
Old 07-28-2012, 09:16 PM

Buddy got his Ram 2500 stuck! Has a hemi swap in it. He bought it like that, I wish it still had the turbodiesel in it. He called me at around 4pm and said he needed help. Ended up having to call a wrecker...not even my buddy's Ford 352 could pull the beast out. $500 towing bills suck!

When cutting off the exhaust from my 93...I found proof it was water that destroyed the 3.slo. The sawzall was soaked and when I dropped the exhaust, it poured water everywhere.

Got my new dash. Traded 4 35" TSL Super swampers for it. None of them hold air though.

Going from this:

To this:

Old 07-28-2012, 09:18 PM

5/27/2012

Well, got the beast on all 4's and moving - finished all 4 brakes and i ended up using a 3rd gen master cylinder. Got it out of the garage only to find out the ˟˟˟˟ing clutch is close to done lol...

I'm very happy with the ride height. This thing is skinny as hell! I'm used to my 93 so this thing is anorexic for sure.

*Updates* I got a set of doors from a buddy in the fab business who gutted the inside and plated it with some high grade steel. They look amazing, and actually have windows! Fenders are on next, then I have to find a new set of headlight doors because mine support square headlights and the headlights that go on this beast are circle :mad3:

Guess I'm going to have to replace the clutch, too. Was thinking about buying a 22r bellhousing and an r150. I like the idea of a 5 speed because I had an r150 in my 93 and it was amazing.

Old 07-28-2012, 09:19 PM

UPDATE:

Got the old dash piece out and the new one in...looks 100x better!

And then this happened. I went to a buddy's bonfire to do some drinkin' and have a good time. On the drive out there, mayflies were EVERYWHERE. I didn't even think twice about it as i parked the truck with no windows...so I come back to the truck 5ish minutes later to find the beast swarmed, SWARMED with ˟˟˟˟ing Mayflies...inside and out and you couldn't see any paint. So, I brushed them off, and got it running...floored it out of there only to see that my hood is bouncing, and right when i notice it (at 45mph in the dark)...

Looks like a new hood is on the list! I think the best part was using my best friend's belt to get it to a gas station in hopes of buying a bungie cord or some ˟˟˟˟...only to continue using his belt all the way home! But...good news to cover that up? I think so

BAM! Got a new set of doors, rust and DENT FREE from a buddy of mine. Traded him 2 axles from a 97 Ram 1500. Couldn't be happier with them! And guess what? THEY HAVE WINDOWS. This thing may as well be a Ferrari now!

So, that's the update for now. Only other issues I'm having are the fuel gauge hardly ever works and, when it does...it's not an accurate reading. Also, no matter what battery I put in the truck and how long that battery charges, it's dead within 10 minutes...the ˟˟˟˟? Cleaning the carb this week sometime, and gonna redo the entire interior. I also got seat covers from a buddy - brand new, he just bought them for me!
Old 07-28-2012, 09:20 PM

Huge update guys! I PAINTED the beast! It looks 100 times better now! I also managed to bang the hood back to nearly zero dents! While painting, I will have you all know it took me $35 and 8 cans of white Rustoleum, and 5 cans of black Rustoleum! Only 6 hours of painting with 0 prep other than tape - my care was low. I figured hell, it can only look better from here Take note that the top of that stupid roll bar is now gone and has become my front bumper :flipoff2:

˟˟˟˟ing around with the flex, just because I saw some rocks at my school driving by and I figured why not! +1 for hood latch, anyone? :flipoff2:

While getting my buddies 4wheeler and a few friends down to our wheelin' spot (we don't have anywhere here in Central Illinois) I started going down a giant rocky hill and the truck was sliding around furiously. I had 4 people in the bed, and a passenger with me, and was going too fast. While the truck moved left and right, I managed to get it dug down pretty deep and on 3 wheels. Guess my flex wasn't happy in the rear! This was as it was happening - I ended up burning the clutch out pretty fast while they pushed and I floored it.

And once we got down to the creek, I decided to snap one more shot of the beast while she was in all of her glory. While leaving the area, clutch was burnt out and radiator fluid was at an all-time low and muddy, so it overheated and barely moved. Managed to get it onto a public road where it sits and, called the police department telling them I'll have it gone in 2 days.

I'm gonna have to clean the carb, HAVE TO. It sucks, but the truck dies extremely easy. Right now the idle is set to as high as the adjuster will let me go, and it still idles at nearly 750RPM's (my guess, due to not having something to read the RPM's) But that is in the works when I get it home. I swear, I have got some ˟˟˟˟ luck.

Old 07-28-2012, 09:21 PM

Hey guys!

Got an update! A pretty big one, too. At least it seems to me. I decided to semi-tear apart the interior, due to it looking like the hulk tried to fit in there.

Here is how the interior looked a day ago when I saw it, got bored, and decided to grab some spray paint. My buddy told me that if I did my truck red, he'd pay for all of the paint! So I decided why not, it's just a trail rig!

Here's how she sits currently in my messy ass garage. My dad and I are far from organized, and end up taking a day after each project to get the garage nice so we can destroy it for our next project.

Started spray paintin'! Take note: I know there is a proper way to paint / do cosmetics. I just don't care right now. Anything looks better than ˟˟˟˟ :flipoff2:

Burnt the clutch out, so out came the tranny. New bolts EVERYWHERE. All of them are going from Grade 7 to Grade 8.8

The transmission was caked in mud, who woulda thought? About 2 hours with some brake cleaner, 2 rolls of paper towels, a shop vac, and a putty knife took care of that! At first I thought it SUCKED not having a top-shift...shifter? I think that's what it is, but I'm not very well educated with it. I know my r150 from my 93 had a top shifter. This one I assume is not consider that the entire assembly on the L43 is on the side. Both bolts were about to pop out of the shifter assembly and shifting was SLOPPY. I tightened them up, and it shifts like a ˟˟˟˟ing FERRARI

And this last picture is one I took of my Rott, Sasha. Just felt the need to upload! If you're in central Illinois, I'd love to wheel with you and do the photography for your rig!!!

Old 07-28-2012, 09:21 PM

We have also narrowed down my idling issues to being the fuel line. So, what do we do about it? Create an entirely new one, but with 3/4" brake line! I've heard about this from a friend and decided it's a good idea. My dad put a filter on the end of it that will sit in side of the tank at the very bottom so that rust and sediment, if existent, doesn't get sucked in.

The beginning of the fuel line - you can see the filter and how it will work.

And the other day while I was going to get my girlfriend from her job at the mall, I saw this and couldn't help but park next to it. What a ˟˟˟˟ing retard parking job, eh? I hate Fords but man was this thing pretty cool to see in person!

Old 07-28-2012, 09:22 PM

Got some updates..

Got it runnin' and drivin' again. Clutch works great! I took the choke off as it keeps getting stuck when driving, so at random times the truck would die (like in a turn lane, that was fun pushing into traffic) so now it's a bitch to start but when she warms up, it drives great. Not sure what to do about it, though. I also have to make it idle very high or else it dies at a lower idle sometimes. There's a miss (I assume it's the chewed up spark plug wire).

On to more pictures!

Tested the flex a bit - the pro comp springs aren't half bad on this thing! Here's about 75% flex on the rear. From the bottom of the tire to the ground was 23".

Trying to sell the beast, $1500 or best offer! Here's some flex pictures, only about 50% on the front but it flexes great!

Last edited by Foxx249; 07-28-2012 at 09:34 PM.
Old 07-29-2012, 03:55 PM

hey bud ove the 80 1st gen got one myself and just gt it running today oh ya.lol hey and nice bed...bar? lol idk what it is but this is one nice rig!
Old 07-30-2012, 07:40 AM

Received 101 Likes on 79 Posts
Originally Posted by Foxx249
We have also narrowed down my idling issues to being the fuel line. So, what do we do about it? Create an entirely new one, but with 3/4" brake line! I've heard about this from a friend and decided it's a good idea. My dad put a filter on the end of it that will sit in side of the tank at the very bottom so that rust and sediment, if existent, doesn't get sucked in.

The beginning of the fuel line - you can see the filter and how it will work.

And the other day while I was going to get my girlfriend from her job at the mall, I saw this and couldn't help but park next to it. What a ˟˟˟˟ing retard parking job, eh? I hate Fords but man was this thing pretty cool to see in person!

dont hate fords I have a 67 mustang that I love dearly. I've been using it as a DD for the past 3 months while I look for a new yota. gotta love 45 year old engineering. things were just built "right"
Old 08-28-2012, 06:07 PM

this thing has come along way I bought My truck for 500 but it looked allot better than that, Im glad you stuck with it, also If I was you Id keep my eyes open for another 22r and throw it in the 3.0 its not that hard of a swap, and you would have a extended cab with a 4 cylinder you could use a g52 or w56 for the trans and you could have two trucks
Old 08-31-2012, 08:59 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
any updates?
Old 08-31-2012, 10:10 AM

yeah man whats up??
Old 10-06-2012, 09:08 PM

These 80 rigs are awesome. Its good to see another one resurrected. Good job! I'd like to see more about how you worked that new fuel pick up line into the tank.

Quick Reply: Foxx249's 1980 Longbed Build-up Thread