Pre 84 Trucks (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

Cars-Guys Classic 82 Pickup Restore

Old 05-28-2016, 10:01 PM

Received 39 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by Srfjay
The paint looks good. I am always curious about those quick stop paint places. Seems like a hit or miss. You said not perfect? Runs? Over spray?
For a 500 buck paint job its pretty decent. I got a good shine out of it and it laid down pretty flat. There were a few areas that looked like the primer was maybe touched when wet so you can see that if you look closely, nothing that affected the integrity of the paint. there was a drip or two on the rear of the cab and a bit of overspray in the fender wells. Otherwise for 500 bucks and a 4 year warranty it can't be beat
Old 06-06-2016, 10:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nice score and nice work this far. I have the exact same truck only rusty and the blue paint is all oxidized. And the original owner painted the wheels black at some point. Keep up the good work.
Old 06-25-2016, 12:32 PM

Hey thanks for all the support and sorry I haven't updated this thread in a bit but I figured Id give you guys a look at the interior before i start on it.

The dash isn't hacked up too badly like I said. I still have the little plastic tray thats above the stereo, Took it out to put the cb in

Door panels are in great shape but behind the big bezel on the lower speaker the guy used an angle grinder to make a hole. Its the worst hack job ever, but the new speaker bezel covers it nice

passenger side seat. All the vinyl is starting to rip more, it was better when I got it but after I've put 13,000 or so miles on it its showing its age.

Same with driver seat.

A before and after of cleaning the interior.

Headliner is mint and so are the visors. The driver side still has the plastic sleeve and has some little instruction paper on how to grease the drive shafts and stuff

When funds allow I plan on buying a new dash and all new oem seat covers for everything. The floor mat is still in great shape but if I wanted the PO gave me a brand new blue Oem looking carpet mat thats cut to fit off an sr5 I think. Im also going to use black acrylic to make a face plate for the cb and mount it above the head unit. I plan on making it look factory.

Last edited by cars-guy; 06-25-2016 at 12:37 PM.
Old 04-20-2017, 05:09 PM

Hey all, sorry it been a while since i have updated this thread, but i figured it would be a good idea since i have been working on the truck this whole time. Anyway i figured id start with the new tires. A lot of people told me that the stock rim can run a 31x10.5 no problem so i decided to go with new BFG K02 31s and she looks so sweet! Here is a photo next to my buddys FJ that just looks so freaking awesome.

Last edited by cars-guy; 04-20-2017 at 05:11 PM. Reason: missed the picture
Old 04-20-2017, 08:42 PM

Any way, I ride dirt bikes and frequently take friends and their bikes out to ride so sometimes ill have 3 bikes strapped down in the bed of the truck. Over time this has put a lot of stress on the bed rails and they have begun to pull up and bend as well as the front wall of the bed has bent from the bikes aswell. What I plan on doing is taking the bed off the truck, welding up the corners of the bed rails to reinforce them and welding in a piece of 1" square tubing under the top lip of the front bed wall. I'm also gonna pull any dents in the bottom and side of the bed, add a little bit of bondo just to make it perfectly straight, then send the bed off to be Line Xed I also figured while I have the bed off, I can clean up the chassis and hit it with some undercoat to keep it rust free. Here it is with bed off. I just hit the exposed chassis and drive train bits with a 4000 psi pressure washer to remove just about everything from the surface. After it dried i hit any areas that had any kind of light surface rust with a wire brush, Cleaned em, and then hit them with a good coat of self etching primer to seal it all up. Once thats all dry ill hit it with Duplicolor bed armor. Ive used this stuff in the past with good results. Its pretty rugged, seals well with good thick coverage, has a solid solid color, and only a slight texture.

Ill throw in another update when i get back from colorado in a few days. Looking at schools at here and I think I like one. Now its time to finish up coating the chassis and cleaning and greasing EVERYTHING to get the yota ready to handle the dreaded road salt

Last edited by cars-guy; 04-20-2017 at 08:45 PM.
Old 05-10-2017, 07:00 PM

just finished cleaning and painting at least the rear half of the frame, installed a tow hitch, and put new shocks on the rear. Frame all cleaned up and tow hitch put on.
Quick test run with the tow hitch
Fresh Kyb Excel-Gs for the rear. I went cheaper in the rear since this is a daily driver i wanted something less stiff because the rear weighs next to nothing and i figured it would complement the stiffer old man emus I'm putting in the far heavier front to match the springs.
Old 05-10-2017, 09:49 PM

Ive been working on the bed quite a bit too. I got all the old bed liner out that i put in over a year ago with a pressure washer. I used the hurculiner kit that i got from O'riellys for 50 bucks. It wasn't half bad for a roll on liner. It has a good texture, adheres pretty well, can take some abuse, and weathers pretty well too. If your on a tight budget and just want to get the bed looking nice i highly recommend it, however, i wanted something more. I wanted the latest, greatest, holy grail of bed liners, Line-X . before i could that though, it needed work. I pulled all the dents out with a stud welder and bondoed it all up to get it nice and straight. I felt comfortable using bondo on this cus the Line-X is gonna keep anything from happening to it.

Having the bikes in the back was pulling up the front edges of the rail so some vice grips and a welder should do the trick.
finished welding corners
The front wall of the bed was bent and bowed forward. Used some thick walled 1" square tube to wedge under the lip and straighten out everything out
Threw a couple tac welds on there to hold it in place.
I get the bed back from the Line-X shop in a few days and can't wait to see how all the welds and bondo look under the Line-X, Stay tuned
Old 07-31-2017, 08:24 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Looks good I like the 1" square under the front rail it can take a little more abuse that way!
Old 08-25-2017, 01:56 PM

Fresh line-x and Webber baby
Just finished up the line-x and it looks soooo good
The following users liked this post:
Enzothehound (04-28-2021)
Old 08-25-2017, 05:15 PM

Received 331 Likes on 246 Posts
Nice truck!
Old 08-26-2017, 09:03 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
That looks great!
Old 01-03-2018, 07:23 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Bedliner looks great....I've got the kit but looks like letting pro's do it is the way to go. I'm thinking the bedliner also acts a good seam sealer to keep the water out of the panel sections that I think leads to rust along the sidewall detail. I will still 'use' my truck as a truck, so I'm not looking forward into all that work just to put in a plastic liner to keep the side walls from being dented every time I go to the dump....I'm thinking of some kind of removable panels in channels or something to that from happening. I like the 1" stiffener too.
Old 01-03-2018, 02:54 PM

the line x thats sprayed is actually pretty thick. I saw the cutaway in the shop and its like 1/4" thick so it would help with the dents and stuff for sure. plus if its sprayed on factory paint line x gives a life time warranty against tearing it up or even deep scratches. they had to grind out a lot of rust on mine and even with the extra labor and the premium uv resistant coating it was only 550 start to finish
Old 01-03-2018, 07:49 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Looks fantastic. I wish I would have never sold mine.
The following users liked this post:
Enzothehound (04-28-2021)
Old 01-27-2018, 01:08 PM

Originally Posted by YOUNGIAM

Looks fantastic. I wish I would have never sold mine.
everyone has told me they always regret selling their first car. I do not plan on getting rid of this truck. My girlfriend won't let me either. Im still not sure if she's dating me for me or for that truck. I guess there are worse problems to have though haha
Old 01-27-2018, 05:32 PM

Received 70 Likes on 58 Posts
Originally Posted by cars-guy
everyone has told me they always regret selling their first car. I do not plan on getting rid of this truck. My girlfriend won't let me either. Im still not sure if she's dating me for me or for that truck. I guess there are worse problems to have though haha
My wife and I dated in my 81 truck, now working on an upgrade to it, so the wife and I can go dating in it again. That was 30 years ago
Old 02-23-2018, 03:35 PM

Originally Posted by Lons81
My wife and I dated in my 81 truck, now working on an upgrade to it, so the wife and I can go dating in it again. That was 30 years ago
Sounds like fun. Cant imagine how happy your wife is your gonna be. My girlfriend cried when i surprised her with the truck running again. And it was only down for 3 months so i can't imagine what 30 years would be like
Old 02-23-2018, 03:36 PM

also I just finally finished the video for this truck. you check it out here
Old 02-23-2018, 05:10 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Pretty cool. Don't run a 2 stroke without your spark arr ester, they like to light fires.
Old 02-23-2018, 06:28 PM

Originally Posted by YOUNGIAM
Pretty cool. Don't run a 2 stroke without your spark arr ester, they like to light fires.
Oh yes for sure. Its state law here in california unless your at a track. If your caught its 1000 buck fine. Not fun

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Cars-Guys Classic 82 Pickup Restore