Pre 84 Trucks (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

1983 toyota pickup 4x4

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2018, 11:55 AM

Received 42 Likes on 27 Posts
Has anyone purchased any interior parts from https://www.toyotapartsdeal.com/ ? Specifically the wood grain insturment panel part number 55405-89151

I've been wanting to really clean up my interior and trim pieces so a while back I purchased the wood-grain instrument panel. Its been sitting in my room but yesterday I brought it out to see how it looks with a radio I pulled off of a 79-83 (dont remember the exact year) pickup from the pick a part. For some reason the Radio just will not line up with the cut outs on the panel. I am not sure if the radio changed in size between the years of 79-83 but from the Pics i see online they all look the same. Obviously besided the different model radios that were available at the time.

I'm thinking its the cutouts done on the panel that are incorrect or just off by a hair. Just curious if anyone else has bought this panel and had the same issue?

It's really hard to tell from the picture below but I basically cannot get the panel flush against the radio because of the knobs.

Old 08-08-2018, 06:49 PM

Received 53 Likes on 45 Posts
These panels were different widths at the radios from 79-81 and 82-83.
You have an early 79-81 radio and a later 82-83 dash panel. Return the dash panel and keep looking for a used, early version or just look for a later radio. BUT I can tell you from extensive experience that the radio is more difficult and much more costly than finding an early used dash panel.
Old 08-08-2018, 08:21 PM

Originally Posted by Punjab
These panels were different widths at the radios from 79-81 and 82-83.
You have an early 79-81 radio and a later 82-83 dash panel. Return the dash panel and keep looking for a used, early version or just look for a later radio. BUT I can tell you from extensive experience that the radio is more difficult and much more costly than finding an early used dash panel.
I knew the panels were a little different between these years but I never thought the radio widths would be different. Thanks for clearing that up for me. It's too late to return the panel and I would like to keep it for my truck since I have an 83 and the AC controls are different as well. I am considering going with a NEW vintage style radio like the ones sold by Retrosound (thats what Dave installed on his 83 and it came out really nice), or just keep an eye out for an 83 to pop up at my local pick a part. I know if I am patient enough one will eventually show up, they come pretty often near me.

Here is an interior of a 79 that actually showed up at my local pick a part today.

Old 08-09-2018, 05:25 AM

Received 53 Likes on 45 Posts
Yeah with having an 83 I would also probably stick with the dash panel you bought. You can also search pawn shops and thrift stores for old radios and tape players. I believe they switched to that wider sized radio as it became more of a standardized size during that era so there were a lot of aftermarket options out there.
The retro radios released now are a sweet upgrade as they usually have mini/auxiliary audio ports and a lot of them have bluetooth capability.
Old 08-22-2018, 06:44 AM

I've been wanting a rear tube bumper for a while now and one came up at my local pick a part but it's on a 84 year pickup. I read on another thread that the rear bumpers will fit most years because the dimensions are the same.Does anyone know if this is true or not?

Here's a pick of the tube bumper I am referring to that is on a 1984.

Old 08-27-2018, 09:45 PM

Look what I just received in the mail today

I've been missing the transfer gear instructions for a while now and finally found someone on facebook that makes some Toyota decals and sales them on her website called https://www.etsy.com/shop/BLVinyl
I love the way the sticker came out and in case anyone else is missing this sticker, she has a bunch more available on her website. i bought three of them just to keep on file haha

Old 08-28-2018, 06:29 AM

Received 48 Likes on 31 Posts
Awesome
Old 10-01-2018, 07:29 PM

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts
Nice build, Keep them coming
Old 10-04-2018, 08:03 AM

Received 70 Likes on 58 Posts
Originally Posted by Abraham Contreras
Look what I just received in the mail today

I've been missing the transfer gear instructions for a while now and finally found someone on facebook that makes some Toyota decals and sales them on her website called https://www.etsy.com/shop/BLVinyl
I love the way the sticker came out and in case anyone else is missing this sticker, she has a bunch more available on her website. i bought three of them just to keep on file haha
Thanks for sharing this info, some great possibilities.

Old 11-30-2018, 04:17 PM

Received 75 Likes on 54 Posts
Wow

Originally Posted by Abraham Contreras
I've been wanting a rear tube bumper for a while now and one came up at my local pick a part but it's on a 84 year pickup. I read on another thread that the rear bumpers will fit most years because the dimensions are the same.Does anyone know if this is true or not?

Here's a pick of the tube bumper I am referring to that is on a 1984.

Abraham, Hows it going, long time no talk
Wow, that 84 is sweet! Hope you grabbed that bumper. I no it's a few months later, but do you think it still has some parts on it? What color is the interior? Looking for a good dash pad. And a few other items, let me know
Old 01-20-2019, 09:31 PM

Originally Posted by NYHumpinUtah
Abraham, Hows it going, long time no talk
Wow, that 84 is sweet! Hope you grabbed that bumper. I no it's a few months later, but do you think it still has some parts on it? What color is the interior? Looking for a good dash pad. And a few other items, let me know
Hey Mike,
My apologies idk why I am just seeing your post but I did not get to the yard in time to grab the bumper. I cannot recall what the interior of this truck looked like either but I will keep an eye out for another truck for you if you still need a dashpad.
Old 01-20-2019, 10:07 PM

No prob, picked up a clean dash off Ebay
How are you doing? Haven't heard from you in awhile Hope all is well, my truck is coming along, but dealing with the weather.
Old 01-21-2019, 05:04 AM

Originally Posted by NYHumpinUtah
No prob, picked up a clean dash off Ebay
How are you doing? Haven't heard from you in awhile Hope all is well, my truck is coming along, but dealing with the weather.
Nice, I also have a brand new dash just sitting in my room waiting to be put on lol. I have been doing good just really busy with work and life at the moment but thank you for asking. I know I haven't posted here on a while but I will be sharing some pics from a few months back when a couple first gens met up here local to me.

Also, I am currently rebuilding the carburetor on my truck and pullikng the intake to replace that gasket as well. The pickup is currently just sitting in my driveway at the moment.
Old 01-21-2019, 05:28 AM

Just want to share some pictures of the Pickup I have taken over the past few months.

Here is a camping trip to Joshua Tree, CA. On the way out we took an offroad trail and it was a lot of fun. However, on the way to the National park, I lost my clutch due to the hard line that goes to my slave cylinder breaking. I was stranded for about 4 hours until a auto parts store opened up and I was able to get back on the road after bending up a new line.

Old 01-21-2019, 05:31 AM

Received 831 Likes on 556 Posts
Great photos!
How did the line break?
Old 01-21-2019, 06:18 AM

Originally Posted by Melrose 4r
Great photos!
How did the line break?
I believe it broke because of that bracket that connects the soft line and hard line together not being bolted down. I'm assuming it was wiggling around and eventually cracked a line on it enought to not hold the pressure. It snapped off when i was unbolting it.
Old 01-21-2019, 06:26 AM

Shortly after the camping trip I purchased new tires. Went with BFG K02 31x10.5r15

Old 01-21-2019, 06:31 AM

A few months back a bunch of us with first gens decided to meetup at a local offroad park here in SoCal. Just wanted to share the pictures with everyone that you might have seen on Instagram depending on who you follow.

Check out this Toyota Heaven!!

Old 01-21-2019, 07:57 AM

Great pics, I wish there were that many yota's up here Looked like a lot of fun
BTW, I just got a set of BFG all terrain's for truckie (my 2002 tacoma) And I also use Union 76 gas................now that funny..............
Old 01-21-2019, 08:25 AM

Received 147 Likes on 105 Posts
Great tire choice! I've got them in 33x10.5s and love them!

Quick Reply: 1983 toyota pickup 4x4