Pre 84 Trucks (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

1979 Turbo Diesel 4x4 Pick up build

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2017, 10:12 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1979 Turbo Diesel 4x4 Pick up build

I purchased a 1979 4x4 short bed from my buddy in June. He had already put a Mercedes Benz OM617 in it using the tdswaps set up when Brian owned tdswaps. The radiator was behind the cab in a tool box. Jeep xj radiator w/2 electric fans. The truck had oil passing through the turbo and out of the tailpipe. The clutch was slipping and there were a couple other issues. Now don't get me wrong, my buddy is a good mechanic. It was a situation of too many projects and not enough time to work the bugs out. I had been helping him try to sell the truck since spring. It was after all a rust free original 4x4 pick up. So after a few possible buyers that were afraid of the turbo diesel, I decided to buy it. I had already converted a 94 4 runner and was comfortable w/the swap. So we trailered it to my house and the project began.
Old 10-07-2017, 10:59 AM

Old 10-07-2017, 11:05 AM

This is pretty much what I started with. The first thing I did was change the front bumper to make room for a radiator in front. I cut the frame cross member in front and welded in some 2x2 square stock. This allows me to put a tube bumper up front and make it bolt on. Much easier to pull the motor straight out the front after pulling the radiator.
Old 10-07-2017, 11:20 AM

I pulled the radiator out of the back and the 6+' of copper pipe going from front to back for coolant. I was able to use the radiator setup I had on my 94 4runner to mock up a front radiator. Once I knew it would fit, I ordered a new radiator and made a bracket to mount the radiator. I also put a new m-pact 6 puck clutch in. It is rated for higher torque than the stock 4cyl clutch. I also added a long runner intake and replaced the turbo. The oil leak stopped and no more clutch issues. The new radiator and electric cooling fan solved my overheating issues. Now I can use the toolbox for needed storage.
Old 10-07-2017, 11:57 AM

Original set up under hood.
Old 10-07-2017, 11:59 AM

Current set up.
Old 10-07-2017, 12:09 PM

In the early 70s style I put fender mirrors on it. I had to adjust the tubing for the airbox and snorkel to make it functional. Got rid of a couple other things under the hood and cleaned it up a bit. Put a boost gauge in the cab and a mech temp gauge. I already know what my egts are from the 4runner. I will put a pyrometer in at some point and a Dakota dsl1 to get the tach working.
Old 10-07-2017, 12:20 PM

So now I have a daily driver. 5spd W56 twin stick t-case. 5cyl turbo diesel running at 18psi max boost. 4.37 rear end 33x10.5x15 bf Goodrich ko's, 3" lift springs. I think I am getting close to 30 mpg. Speedo cable keeps falling off cluster. This truck is quick. Good acceleration, and top speed is great for highway. I just ordered led headlights from nightsun4x4.
The following users liked this post:
bigwill837 (10-20-2019)
Old 10-07-2017, 12:30 PM

The bed is set up nice on this truck. There is a custom vented cover for the bed. Also a flip out rack in the rear. This way I can put the tailgate down for extra room in the bed.
Old 10-07-2017, 12:32 PM

Old 10-07-2017, 12:33 PM

Old 10-08-2017, 08:31 AM

If anybody wants that front bumper let me know.
Old 10-14-2017, 04:04 AM

Planning on installing led headlights this weekend. Pics after I am done.
Old 10-15-2017, 12:24 PM

Led headlights are installed. I used Night sun 80watt DOT approved lights. They are OK. Couldn't use the running lights and turn signals in the headlight together. I converted the stock front marker lights to turn signal anyway. So I chose the markers as you can see in the first picture. Whoever made these over in China needs a remedial class on the Allen wrench. One of the lights had almost all of the screws stripped. Good thing I had an old turn signal assembly laying around. I replaced all the Allen head fasteners w/Toyota screws from the signal assembly. I took the rings off of the headlight buckets and notched them. This allowed me to sandwich the rings between the headlight and trim ring that came w/the headlight. So it ended up being a clean install.
Old 10-15-2017, 12:41 PM

I put the bed up for sale in the classifieds. I am going to put a rack and tube bed on the back. I want to incorporate another fuel tank behind the cab and room for a spare. This truck will be my daily driver and long trip truck. Off road will mostly be camping and some mud for fun. I am probably going to do an RUF and 63" Chevy conversion. I already have the parts I need for hi-steer. Just have to notch my Mercedes oil pan. That will be next spring or so. The truck is running nicely now. I will just focus on tuning the Mercedes motor and get some newer bucket seats in the truck.
Old 10-21-2017, 06:24 AM

I discovered that my front shocks are the wrong length. They will need to be replaced asap. Any suggestions? 3" lift, motor weighs 600#. So the front end is about 400# heavier than stock. Looking for a softer ride up front. I really don't want to spend a bunch of money on trial and error. Any good shock recommendations? I am working on a compressor that runs off of the Mercedes head so adjustable air shocks may have a future on the truck down the road. For now, I am thinking inexpensive Monroe's, Kyb or Bilstien......
Old 10-22-2017, 05:56 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Cool truck and project, will watch this. I realize you didn’t ask outside opinions on it, but man I really hate to see this one lose that bed.
Old 10-23-2017, 03:22 AM

It hasn't lost it yet. I figured I would catch a few comments on that. Since I am keeping the truck indefinitely, I need to make it practical for my needs long term. I needed something quick and nimble to go behind my RV. I can't afford to be the curator of a museum. Trust me, if I had the space and resources, I would have a building full of vehicles in original condition. I have managed to stay married for 15+ years by being practical and sticking to my plans. I do have the bed listed in classifieds so someone on the forum can benefit. Of course there is a general price on it. I am reasonable and willing to negotiate. In any case, I have been building trucks for the better part of 25 years. I am just about done with my projects. I need to finish them up and focus on my house and retirement in the next 10 years. I do appreciate the input. I was starting to wonder if I was going to get any.
Old 11-01-2017, 05:52 PM

I put in 98 Mazda 626 seats, they were fairly cheap and the cleaned up pretty good. I did have to cut and weld some new mounting brackets and drilled a hole or two, but they are comfy. I’m 5’10, if were any taller I might have had to chop them a little lower. Good luck.
Old 11-02-2017, 02:45 AM

I was thinking about Hyundai seats. They are easy to find w/manual controls. My problem is height 6ft. The cab is small. I have to make sure I don't hit my head when I get in.