YotaTech Forums

YotaTech Forums (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/)
-   Pre 84 Trucks (Build-Up Section) (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f197/)
-   -   17toyotaman's 1980 Toyota build (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f197/17toyotamans-1980-toyota-build-253892/)

17toyotaman 05-21-2012 09:25 PM

17toyotaman's 1980 Toyota SR5 Build "Lucy"

5 Attachment(s)
I bought this truck early this month and have been doing quite a bit of work to it so far and haven't taken very many pictures along the way but i'll try to get better at that. Anyway it's a 1980 Toyota pickup that a kid from my high school had and graduated a few years ago, and i've seen it around before when I had my 79, it wasn't running good at all, was running on 3 cylinders and didn't know that the right front wheel hadn't been tightened until I went through a round about and the truck felt like it was going to roll haha :bang: luckily the tire iron in my dad's sidekick worked at managed to tighten it up to get it home. I'll post some more recent pictures and some of the stuff i've done to it soon but for now here is some pics from when I first got it out of the field.

Attachment 201655

Attachment 201656

Attachment 201657

Attachment 201658

Gave it a much needed bath!

Attachment 201659

Rollz79 05-21-2012 09:35 PM

Welcome to YT!

There have been so many Mint long beds coming out of the woodworks.

Crimson Yota 05-22-2012 12:23 AM

I'd kill for that bed... :mad2:

Love the yellow man, beautiful truck!

Cedge208 05-22-2012 05:46 AM

That pickup is cherry! I like the yellow, very clean paint. And that roll bar is beafy.

How is the interior?

17toyotaman 05-22-2012 03:01 PM

12 Attachment(s)
Hey thanks guys! I took some more pics today, sorry about the crappy quality its in our shop and not well lit for pics, the interior is just about the best that i've ever seen in a first gen, the previous owner has obviously re-upholstered the seat, the carpet was kinda nasty so I pulled it out I WAS AMAZED there was no rust at all!!! Not even surface rust! My old 79 had a giant hole under the driver side carpet but these floor boards were immaculate! So I bought some Duplicolor bed line paint and painted the floors for future protection. I also put on my old school wheels that were on my 79 and the 31/10.5/15 Maxxis Bighorns that were on them. Here are the pics.

Attachment 201660

Attachment 201661

I painted my engine bay to clean it up a bit

Attachment 201662

Here is my near perfect seat

Attachment 201663

Attachment 201664

My truck was missing the sr5 gauges so I made my own console to hold a couple gauges and some speakers.

Attachment 201665

Also my dome light and rear view mirror were toast so I got a over head console from a 90's Pontiac mini van (don't know what model) but one of the really ugly ones, my first idea was to get one out of a mid to late 90's explorer with the temp and direction of travel but the ohc in the explorers at the local yard were all gone

Attachment 201666

Attachment 201667

Attachment 201668

I put the rear bumper off of my 87 because the old one was toast

Attachment 201669

Sitting in the shop

Attachment 201670

And my old school axel truss that was in the bed of the truck

Attachment 201671

Z's Confederate Toy 05-23-2012 10:47 PM

Very clean truck! Looks good in that color

yotantn 05-24-2012 08:56 AM

Hey man..your yellar truck is totally 80's. That interior is in exceptionally good shape, especially the dash. The tailgate latches date it. I was showing my son the window sticker on mine and it said 'one touch tailgate release'. He was like what is that?? I told him about latches like you have.
He was amazed.
That box above the radio..I remember CUTTING it out in a buddy's shop to put an equalizer in it. The dumb things I did. Stupid youth. OH well...
But your truck is in great shape dood.
Good stuff.

Cedge208 05-24-2012 01:36 PM

A rust free first gen.. I'm speechless
:king:

That axle truss looks nifty, it looks like it would also work as a skid plate.

Clean interior! I like that map light / mirror set up you've got. And the guage pod looks clean.

MaxwellE54 05-24-2012 03:19 PM

Yeah dude im definitely gonna have to have a first gen some day. Im pretty jealous

17toyotaman 05-24-2012 03:25 PM

Originally Posted by yotantn (Post 51921099)
Hey man..your yellar truck is totally 80's. That interior is in exceptionally good shape, especially the dash. The tailgate latches date it. I was showing my son the window sticker on mine and it said 'one touch tailgate release'. He was like what is that?? I told him about latches like you have.
He was amazed.
That box above the radio..I remember CUTTING it out in a buddy's shop to put an equalizer in it. The dumb things I did. Stupid youth. OH well...
But your truck is in great shape dood.
Good stuff.

Hey thanks, i've been following your thread, I love the way it looked back in the day! Especially that bug shield, coolest thing ever! I am actually thinking about fiber glassing the dash pad and making it look better, it has some cracks and the grated area is dead. In my old 79 I had before this one, I cut out that shelf above the stereo for my c.b. and decided not to do it to this one, glad I didn't. I hope that you can make your truck look like it did in those old pictures, it would be the nicest first gen. around!

yotantn 05-24-2012 07:05 PM

Originally Posted by 17toyotaman (Post 51921326)
Hey thanks, i've been following your thread, I love the way it looked back in the day! Especially that bug shield, coolest thing ever! I am actually thinking about fiber glassing the dash pad and making it look better, it has some cracks and the grated area is dead. In my old 79 I had before this one, I cut out that shelf above the stereo for my c.b. and decided not to do it to this one, glad I didn't. I hope that you can make your truck look like it did in those old pictures, it would be the nicest first gen. around!

Thanks bud. I'd be curious to know how your fiberglassing dash pad goes for you.

NickMiller 05-24-2012 07:20 PM

Sick first gen! Subscribed :D

17toyotaman 05-24-2012 07:40 PM

2 Attachment(s)
So moving on with the truck I pulled the engine because it was only running on 3 cyl I knew it had a pace setter header on it, but when I was taking the intake manifold of I saw some raised lettering on it that wasn't Toyota brand stuff, so I got the drop lite closer and turns out it has an Edelbrock intake on it. The previous owner(s) have put some good money in this thing. Has warn premium hubs on it, pro comp lift, etc. So all in all the money I payed for the trucks I have already found in just aftermarket stuff alone. Not to bad if I say so my self :laugh: Anyway got the motor on the engine stand and took the head off, turns out it has a burnt valve. So I have found a local place with completely re done heads for $200 with a $100 core fee. So when I get some money, or if my parents pay for the re build for my graduation (like I asked) I think this is the route i'll go. The bottom end seems just fine, no smoke or anything when I drove it home. So here is the engine and head as they lay.

My burnt valve Cyl #4 had only 50 psi of compression

Attachment 201672

Bottom of the block with the oil pan off. I'll get pics of the top soon

Attachment 201673

All of the other cyls had 155-165 Psi Whoever had the oil pan off last didn't even get an oil pan gasket.... just globed a bunch of gasket maker on it and called it good (needless to say it leaked...)

Rollz79 05-24-2012 08:24 PM

pics of the Edelbrock intake

17toyotaman 05-25-2012 10:16 PM

7 Attachment(s)
Well as requested I got some more pics of the intake, sorry they're not the best, the carb. is still on it and not out of the engine bay all connected.

Attachment 201674
Attachment 201675
Attachment 201676
Attachment 201677

If you want pics of something particular just let me know. Also got the Hi-Lift jack thats been sitting in the shop for as long as I can remember, the last rig it was on was my dads old scout back in the 80's :safari:

Attachment 201678
Attachment 201679
Attachment 201680

limited#279 05-26-2012 12:13 AM

Sweet truck! Super clean.

yotantn 05-26-2012 03:20 AM

Very nice dood. Love the rollbar. Will be putting one back on mine.

17toyotaman 05-26-2012 07:12 PM

I love the roll bar to, but with 3 bars and 2 down tubes per side I can tell it'll be a pain to see out of, beauty before practicality I guess.

MikeyC 05-26-2012 08:25 PM

Nice truck! i really like the roll bar!

17toyotaman 05-27-2012 08:23 PM

Hey thanks for all the compliments, didn't take any pics today but got some new poly bushings in the rear, and also extended the vent for the rear differential done and will put up some pics tomorrow, when I was putting in the bushings I had the rear end at full drop and the stock break line was stretching a lot, the PO didn't put in extended break lines when they put the lift kit in, so I will be addressing this before I take this thing wheeling.