Other Makes Cars/Trucks Own a different car or truck other than a Toyota?

Joe's 1969 Corona

Old 11-03-2017, 11:36 AM

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Dang, quite amazing it got through the gas tank too! To me the roof would be the hardest part since it's exterior. For the trunk, since you can't see it, I figure make it from whatever you can find, even new sheet metal. Gas tank I'd just say why not drop in an aftermarket tank?

No experience personally with a rotisserie, but it seems like the way to go if you need to get under your car. I plan to make one when I start working on my Oldsmobile. I'm not going with a pre-made one or even a steel one using engine stands. The route I'm likely going to go is making one from wood, it'll let me tilt the car to about 90* instead of all the way upside down. Google wood car rotisserie and you'll see some examples.
Old 11-03-2017, 03:41 PM

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts
Thanks for all the tips!

I agree about the trunk- not visible and how about some nice carpet??
And yes, highonpottery, aftermarket tank will likely be the way to go, or if like Nervo suggested, I can find a tank out of another vehicle that will fit. I'll look at where the lines and fittings are attached, measure it out, etc. After all, it just has to hold gas, right?! Pretty sure I saw the fuel pump mounted to the inside of the frame under the passenger side, too.

I have a tendency to over-react to things and then as I work through the problem I realize it's not so bad. I experienced this many times building the 4Runner. Y'all here on Yotatech have really helped. If any of you are like me, there is a shortage of people in my day to day life that have the same passion and interest in old Toyotas, so I have to go out of my way to talk though problems with people that share my love for these things- and who has time for that?!

The biggest challenge I face now is one that we are all familiar with- NO TIME!! I also just recently started another non-vehicle creative project that will likely keep me busy through the winter so I'm not so confident that I'll really get to dig into this thing until spring. In the mean time I'll keep studying up and saving money. The rotisserie seems more and more like a good move- whether I purchase one or build one- and I would like to build some more shelves in the garage to keep parts organized. I'd be ashamed to admit how many nuts and bolts I lost and had to replace last time around.

The other challenge is the smell. This dang car stinks!!!
Old 11-03-2017, 04:18 PM

Received 568 Likes on 448 Posts
It is a good thing you didn't put gas in the tank and try to start it up. I am no expert, but I don't think cars run on giant rust chunks very well...

Originally Posted by ladybugRC
Thanks for all the tips!

Y'all here on Yotatech have really helped. If any of you are like me, there is a shortage of people in my day to day life that have the same passion and interest in old Toyotas, so I have to go out of my way to talk though problems with people that share my love for these things- and who has time for that?!
Same here! My family and friends like Toyotas but are not mechanically inclined. I am the only one in my day to day life that has a strong passion for old Toyotas.

The other challenge is the smell. This dang car stinks!!!
It might be time to invest in bulk air freshener trees!

How many can fit on the rear view mirror??

In all seriousness, there is no rush on a project like this.

Do a little at a time - when you have time. It will be an adventure!

Last edited by old87yota; 05-22-2018 at 07:56 PM. Reason: Fixed spelling
Old 11-06-2017, 04:31 PM

Old 12-20-2017, 12:40 PM

I've not had time to spend with the Corona, she's still waiting for me.

Mainly I've been trying to research. I've ventured out into many other forums and have been surprised to find very little out there on these cars. Small posts here and there and often eight or more years old.
I tried to join the Vintage Corona Forum which seems pretty good, but you can't view images without joining. I tried to join but my account has to be verified by a moderator- two weeks later, no response. So I guess it's a dead forum...

So, in short, I've got nothing to report.
Old 12-20-2017, 08:11 PM

That's too bad you can't find much info, but I guess that is to be expected for a pretty old and rare Toyota.

I had problems with joining the Toyota Nation forum and it took over a month for a moderator to respond.

This car will be a "learn as you go" project, but by the end you will basically be an expert on how this car is put together.

Thanks for the update!

Old 05-22-2018, 08:00 PM

Smile Any Update?

Is there anything new with the Corona?

Like I said before, there is no rush to projects like these.

I am just curious!

Old 05-23-2018, 03:53 AM

I sure do wish I had something to report. It's got some sawdust on it now as I've been using the shop for some other projects (paying ones).
A couple weeks ago I was tinkering around and got the rear windows to open and close, which was cool because they don't roll up an down; they are triangle shaped and pivot on one corner- hard to describe but really cool. I'll put a picture up...
I also finally got on a Vintage Corona forum (called Vintage Corona) and found a build on there in which a guy swapped in a 22r motor into a 1970 (I think) Corona. I figure that might be a good backup plan if I can't get parts for the 3R-C.
My goal is certainly rebuild the original motor, though.
So, as for timeline, I'm now guessing this will be more of a fall project. Spring brings so much work and home projects its hard for me to justify holing myself up in the garage. I want to build the kids a playhouse this summer, some landscaping projects. My wife and I are considering opening a second location of our children's store... The poor corona just keeps getting knocked down the list. Olive, our oldest, is about to turn 9. I'm hoping she might be able to drive the Corona to prom or something...

Thanks for checking in!!! I'm still going to rebuild this car!
Old 09-13-2018, 12:27 PM

Well. I still haven't started on the Corona.
I took some more pictures of it though!
I've been taking photographs with a camera my dad gave me- a 1974 Canon FTb.
Someday I'll start tearing into this thing.

Old 09-13-2018, 12:55 PM

Thanks for the update!

The pictures look good!

Old 09-13-2018, 01:19 PM

Received 93 Likes on 65 Posts
I'm still subscribed to this thread and excited to see some pictures. Coincidentally I was googling for vintage Toyota info last night and there isn't a lot in the U.S. A guy on an abandoned vehicle group on Facebook found an early 70's Corolla similar to the one my father had. He wondered if it had any value. It was trashed but I hope he sells it.
Old 09-14-2018, 05:15 AM

Received 184 Likes on 132 Posts
Nice pics Joe, of both this and your 4Runner.
Old 09-19-2018, 04:21 AM

Good to hear from you all! I'm not here much these days as I'm working on other projects. For the life of me I cannot figure out how in the world I did what I did to my 4Runner... Where did all that time and money come from!?!
Old 09-19-2018, 08:00 AM

.... For the life of me I cannot figure out how in the world I did what I did to my 4Runner... Where did all that time and money come from!?!
^^ Haha!

Well, if you figure it out, please send some of that time and money my way!

Old 01-12-2020, 05:30 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
any Corolla news? I realize it only been 3 1/2 months since your last report
Some of us are still out here in your back yard just waitin' by the fire.
The following users liked this post:
old87yota (01-14-2020)
Old 01-13-2020, 03:35 PM

Originally Posted by BeRT100
any Corolla news? I realize it only been 3 1/2 months since your last report
Some of us are still out here in your back yard just waitin' by the fire.
haha, check your date again. It’s been a YEAR and three months.
Shortly after buying the car I started a new construction business- so here’s the rather embarrassing state of the Corona as of this morning:

It may also be of interest to some that I sold my 4Runner last spring...
Old 01-14-2020, 08:53 AM

Hummmm...

I guess that means you need to get going on the Corona!

Old 01-16-2020, 10:24 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Red face

haha, check your date again. It’s been a YEAR and three months.
Shortly after buying the car I started a new construction business- so here’s the rather embarrassing state of the Corona as of this morning:
1st-ist I have never been known for my ability to read all the words and numbers
2en-ist Well that certainly looks like my garage

The old "out with the old in with the new" game -eh?
Best wishes on your new business and to the family----no matter What year it is

Last edited by BeRT100; 01-16-2020 at 10:25 PM.
ladybugRC (05-19-2020)
Old 05-19-2020, 11:35 AM

Don’t go getting all excited- there’s no telling if this is the beginning of something or just a tease. But, pulled apart some of the motor on the Corona this morning. Maybe hearing the word “Corona” over and over and over In the news during this pandemic has dislodged some subconscious block I’ve had with starting on this project. Maybe.
The hood came off along with the grill and radiator. Still a splash of coolant in the bottom:

Next we popped the valve cover off and oh boy...

And a few more for fun:

Next I thought I’d see if I could turn the motor so I put a 32mm on the crank pulley bolt, cranked a bit and broke that bastard clean off.
I’m guessing this motor is pretty well seized up.
I’m also bringing my 22-year-old brother-in-law along on this project. He’s learning about motors and is interested in doing this restoration together. Maybe he’ll help keep me motivated.
Old 05-19-2020, 12:22 PM

Received 331 Likes on 246 Posts
Interesting project!
Cat footprints in the windshield... my cats do the same to my 4R, they sleep on the hard top, I had to put a pillow for them there, they love Toyotas,
ladybugRC (05-19-2020)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Joe's 1969 Corona