Other Makes Cars/Trucks Own a different car or truck other than a Toyota?

50 Ford Custom Shoe Box

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2012, 12:18 PM

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
I love the early Mopar era also. Your still young enough to do a bunch of projects. Just take your time and find the right one. I especially like the sleeper look like in the pic. I'm still young enough, but want to finish my current projects before I get into another.

Old 12-03-2012, 08:22 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Your floorboard looks great. I hear you on one project at a time and maybe a small one or really slow one on the side. You are getting it ready for Las Vegas in April , you going to SEMA or is it a car show of some sort? I have been to Vegas several times, but it has been over 10 years ago and not sure when SEMA is. Either way, there will be lots of info or contacts that I am sure would come in handy for parts and tips.

I know there are alot of events that go on out there and what goldmine that would be.
Old 12-03-2012, 04:58 PM

Thanks Terry,

As for Las Vegas, that was last year.
That's how far behind I'am.
My son has been on the road a lot in the last year so I have not had those extra hands I've needed. He just got back last week and helped me with the floor. He's leaving again in March for another tour, so I got to get caught up as much as I can while he's still here. Vegas isn't the way it used to be. Won't be going there anytime soon. Getting ready for Primer Nationals here in California in 2013.
Old 12-03-2012, 05:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
found a 68 road runner on craigslist today and its a 440 with a 4 speed, not matching numbers sadly, needs restO. 3900, me and dad are going to look tommorow, floorboards seem to be the first to go depending on where they sit
Old 12-03-2012, 07:09 PM

Originally Posted by westjohns yota
found a 68 road runner on craigslist today and its a 440 with a 4 speed, not matching numbers sadly, needs restO. 3900, me and dad are going to look tommorow, floorboards seem to be the first to go depending on where they sit
Ya, if the #s matched he would probably want more money for it .
Post up after you look at that bad boy anyway.
Old 12-04-2012, 01:46 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

440 is a power house. A friend of mine has one. Fast too. Looking forward to the pics.
Old 12-09-2012, 01:52 PM

I re-wired gauge's and tach today eliminating spider web under dash. Pic's were just to hard to see under dash, but believe me it was a cluster - - -K!.
Ordered all necessary sound proofing and sealants for interior. POR-15, high temp top coating, dyna-mat and OE rubber mat, not installing carpet.

Old 12-12-2012, 11:38 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

The sound deadening makes a difference. I was helping on a 50s Chevy awhile back and it had the wiring on a jumper block. It was factory. Wouldnt think there would be that much wiring in those cars. Just enough for lights and few other options.

Stereos and temperture controls have come along ways since the old days.
Old 12-12-2012, 06:38 PM

It's still somewhat a mess under dash, but will trace and repair piece by piece. While I'm waiting for supplies to arrive, I will be figuring out seat install. The PO just drilled some holes and bolted it in.
Didn't seal anything and the weight of the seat and person's in car just weakened the floor.
Will probably have to fab some brackets to strengthen seat up front.
Old 01-31-2013, 07:42 AM

This project is finished and sold.
Now I can concentrate on the ShoeBox.
Also going to start looking for a 4RNR 1st Gen

Name:  20120425_193136.jpg
Views: 426
Size:  314.4 KB[/QUOTE]

Last edited by ksti; 01-31-2013 at 07:43 AM.
Old 02-04-2013, 11:37 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

I was watching a show made in California recently and was watching one of Chefs videos and each one I seen an oldie going down the highway and they both looked great. I really enjoy seeing those on the road. I need to get my Extra cab done as I really need a pickup but when I do get it done, you got me really wanting to do an oldie. Doesnt matter what brand, just want one. I always had a soft spot for panel wagons.

I think you would enjoy a 1st gen runner. I like that the tops come off and are really easy to work on. Really not much to working on and a basic tool set can do alot for you. I had a 91 3.0 5 speed runner and it too was a fantastic truck, had a outstanding 4 wheel drive set up in and the interiors in my opinion are a much better material then the first gens, but I favor the 1st gens. I dont think you will be disappointed in going with one. You will have a much better selection and better shape then what the rest of us have to deal with, so that is a big plus for you as well. Will be looking forward to seeing your next project.

Still glad to see you got another oldie on the road and hope the next owner will keep it going as well. I am still trying to talk to my dad into getting a 50 Ford like he had as a kid and helping him to get it going. Not sure if I am going to win that one, but would like to see it happen.
Old 02-06-2013, 04:59 PM

Well, tax time is coming and I'm going to owe something
So It looks like any new project is going to be put on hold.

As for the oldies, I still wish I had some of my old ones when I was younger.
There easy to work on also and I grew up working on them.
You got to get one Terry and a leather jacket also lol!.

My son just bought a Scion XB last week.
I'm glad as he was using my rig and just drives it doesn't check anything.
He's leaving for Canada in March on tour.
So I'm going to drive his rig while he's gone. he he

I'm waiting for my fuel cell for the Shoebox
I will post pic when it shows.
Old 02-12-2013, 02:28 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

I just filed my taxes today and am worried about what the damages are going to be. It not like they dont get enough out of us the way it is. I know what you are going thru.

I was on my home computer and I have the internet company coming out in the morning to replace the modem as my home computer kept going offline. But before I could get logged in, I seen a thread about abbreviations somewhere saying about how the mouse would show what abbreaviations and you couldnt figure out why it didnt work over WTF. I LMAO.
Old 02-12-2013, 06:12 PM

Originally Posted by Terrys87
I just filed my taxes today and am worried about what the damages are going to be. It not like they dont get enough out of us the way it is. I know what you are going thru.

I was on my home computer and I have the internet company coming out in the morning to replace the modem as my home computer kept going offline. But before I could get logged in, I seen a thread about abbreviations somewhere saying about how the mouse would show what abbreaviations and you couldnt figure out why it didnt work over WTF. I LMAO.
Living in California is double trouble when it comes to taxes and fee's owning a business.
The wife and I have been discussing are future as we might have to move out of here someday (maybe sooner than later).
Not a business friendly state. WTF is that all about! LOL

I also got my fuel cell yesterday, not bad for a used one.
Pic's to come.
Old 02-14-2013, 06:34 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Getting our fuel cell is a step to getting it closer.

When my enlistment was up, I really would of like to stayed in California. California has so much to offer and do out there, I just didnt think I could afford it and even with the skills I have know I still dont know if I could still live there without a day to day struggle. The cost of living is just really high there. I lived in Tulsa and had a 3 bedroom 2 car garage bath and a half for $60k and payments with insurance and taxes was $600. A friend of mine I am sure thought I lived in a card board box under main street bridge for that price. It was in a nice neighbor hood and 15 years old when I bought it.

You would be surprised at how many retire from California in the midwest. I read just recently Tiger Woods saved 15 million moving from California to Florida just in taxes. Government probably thinks that is just pocket change to us out here.

All of the states with high taxes are having the most difficult economic times and having the most people moving out, not just California. Seen that on Yahoo news recently. We have to got to get to be more business friendly from the small guy to big corporations. Alot of big names have gone under or are struggling as well.

Those that think anybody that is sitting back and just letting the profits roll in have are clueless to the risk involved and what goes on behind the scenes. I worked for a big corporation and got to work out of my house and was always sweating an audit. One reason I kept 3 different credit cards for each type of expense. I had 12 monthly statements and if it was business expense related no matter how small, I charged it. Office supplies alone add up in a year.

If I dont need a reciept, I tell the the business to not make one out. If they can put a dollar or two in their pocket and not have to worry about it, that is my little way of helping them out. Okay, I will get off of my soapbox now.
Old 02-17-2013, 11:07 AM

Got the fuel cell, needs some clean up.
Been researching ways of mounting.
Looks like a lot of guys are using aluminum strapping for this type of cell.
I want to (if possible) use a stainless steel type of clamp strap for ease and quick removal.

Name:  IMG00281_zps225750e0.jpg
Views: 410
Size:  152.7 KB

Name:  IMG00282_zps44b3a054.jpg
Views: 433
Size:  187.1 KB
Old 03-26-2013, 04:02 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Just checking in and seeing how your build is going. Great to see you got your fuel cell.
Old 03-26-2013, 09:36 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I remember my Grandpa had an 63 Dodge 440 sedan (called the Polara in US) with the push button automatic... sweet old car smooth ride... big V8 eng. was only 12 or so when he had to sell it... parts were getting just too hard to find... but I loved that big old beast.
Old 03-27-2013, 07:35 AM

Originally Posted by Terrys87
Just checking in and seeing how your build is going. Great to see you got your fuel cell.
Hello Terry,

It's been a little crazy at work, so I've been going in the last three weekends for a couple of hours to stay caught up.
Maybe this weekend I can get back to her.
Going to buy aluminum for strapping and bend it myself.

Originally Posted by aviator
I remember my Grandpa had an 63 Dodge 440 sedan (called the Polara in US) with the push button automatic... sweet old car smooth ride... big V8 eng. was only 12 or so when he had to sell it... parts were getting just too hard to find... but I loved that big old beast.
Hello Mr. Aviator,

Lol, My grandfather had a 68 Plymouth Fury with a 318 and we called it the Whale, it was just a big ass car.
I remember the brakes were real touchy and sometimes I would almost hit the dash when he would brake.
When he passed away the Whale only had 68,000 miles on it.
I wish I could have gotten it, but it ended up in NY with another relative.
Old 04-07-2013, 06:23 PM

So in a mad cap and feeble attempt to fab some fuel cell straps I pulled out this bending brake someone had given to me awhile back.
Now I know why they gave it away.

Name:  IMG00293_zps2de27a35.jpg
Views: 490
Size:  60.1 KB

Material just doesn't stay put, even with numerous clamps.
Total waste of valuable time.

So Instead of building this time, I'm going to be buying a complete strap kit that fits the fuel cell exact.
Don't like doing that, but feel like I'm just wasting time at this stage, (over thinking).

At least I got the rough work, fab and welding done today on trunk.
Tricky little devil, but its in, will finish off welding and grinding in time for straps to arrive.
Once cell is mocked in, then final clean up, under coating, dynamat, and carpet.
I'll post some pic's as I go.

It's gonna be nice when I can back the shoebox out of garage so my Toyota can sleep in here at night. lol

Last edited by ksti; 04-07-2013 at 06:25 PM.

Quick Reply: 50 Ford Custom Shoe Box