Motorcycles Motorcycles of any kind including ATVs

Local teen dies in Motorcycle crash...AGAIN...

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2005, 05:11 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Local teen dies in Motorcycle crash...AGAIN...

Was almost exactly a year since the last Fitchburg High School teen died in a motorcycle crash.

A member of the FHS Freshman class (Daryl) recently got his Motorcycle PERMIT, a Kawasaki Ninja (not sure which one), and invincibility syndrome.

Last night, he was at a friend's house, when a girl called him over. He and another friend hopped on his motorcycle, and went to that girl's house. On their way back to the first friend's house, at 1:45 AM, they were hit by a drunk driver. Daryl died about 5 minutes into the Ambu ride, and the other kid (Max) is in serious condition at UMass Memorial Hospital in Worcester right now. They found Daryl's helmet 200 yards away from the scene.

I really didnt know about this, but this morning, the mother of the first friend (the one whose house they were at in the first place) came to get her nails done, and I heard it from her.

Daryl and Max got kicked out of Daryl's house by his mom after a fight they had. The last thing Daryl said to him mom was "I HATE YOU!". As of this morning (when I heard about it), his mom locked herself in her room, and wont come out.

Any Boston area people will probably see this on the news tonight. Ill find the story tomorrow on the local newspaper's website.

I wanted to get a bike. Ive ridden around on one before, and wanted to get one for myself. But things like this, make me think twice. Im going to have to wait a while to get mine...
Old 04-23-2005, 05:13 PM
Contributing Member

drunk drivers who cause fatal accidents should be taken off the road and given permanent housing in a jail cell.
Old 04-23-2005, 05:20 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Amir904
drunk drivers who cause fatal accidents should be taken off the road and given permanent housing in a jail cell.
Thats to lenient. They get 3 square meals a day, education, and a roof over their head while i pay for it? I say hang em, hang 'em high. Rope is cheap.
Old 04-23-2005, 05:22 PM

Originally Posted by Amir904
screw that, just shot them in the back of the head. I'm not joking, POS's like that need to be done away with. You'll sure see a decrease in the number of drunk drivers if we start doing that.
Old 04-23-2005, 05:22 PM

Originally Posted by joez
Rope is cheap.
so is a bullet
Old 04-23-2005, 05:23 PM
Banned

My question is, who is at fault for this crash? This kid didnt have a license (permit only). So I dont think he was supposed to be out that late, not supposed to have passengers. He was speeding. But the other person was drunk, and didnt stay at the scene. Police are saying this isnt going to be called a hit and run, but theyre not saying who is at fault for the collision...
Old 04-23-2005, 05:23 PM
Contributing Member

Not to say this changes anything but Motorcycle permits only allow one rider during daytime hours. If the kid would have followed the rules he might be alive. At the same time it is a tragic accident. I really hope they throw the book at the drunk.
Old 04-23-2005, 05:36 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by joez
Thats to lenient. They get 3 square meals a day, education, and a roof over their head while i pay for it? I say hang em, hang 'em high. Rope is cheap.
$2 a pound. Let me know how much you need + shipping.
I knew working in a rope plant would come in handy.

I recently figured out that alot of problems spring from drinking. Most likely the driver will get off with going to "meetings" where he will learn the value of maing excuses so they can accept the fact that they have somehting wrong with them.

I think he should be starved and tortured actually.
Bread and water, on a nice day, maybe some peanut butter, no choice on crunchy or not.
Old 04-23-2005, 05:38 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Gangus2006
My question is, who is at fault for this crash? This kid didnt have a license (permit only). So I dont think he was supposed to be out that late, not supposed to have passengers. He was speeding. But the other person was drunk, and didnt stay at the scene. Police are saying this isnt going to be called a hit and run, but theyre not saying who is at fault for the collision...
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but even here, if I was doing double the speed limit and somebody pulled out of the driveway and I pegged them, it would still be their fault because if they didn't pull out, there would have been no accident (long converation with a buddy that had this incident)
Old 04-23-2005, 05:43 PM
Banned

Yea, and this kid wasnt supposed to be out at the time, and he wasnt supposed to have a passenger either...
Old 04-23-2005, 05:50 PM

Yea, and this kid wasnt supposed to be out at the time, and he wasnt supposed to have a passenger either...
Because of that, is it his fault?
Old 04-23-2005, 05:50 PM
Contributing Member

Not sure about the state this happened in but here it is Vehicular homicide. The driver would not get off with meetings. Most likely a year in jail minimum. Past history dictates punishment of course. A recent case here where a drunk hit and killed a 12yr old on a bike landed him 6yrs in jail.

Also in our state if you are involved in an accident and you are drunk it does not matter who is at fault. You are 100% at fault.
Old 04-23-2005, 05:54 PM
Contributing Member

An debate like this would go back and forth forever.

I think the drunk driver should be ponying up and taking full responsibility for his/her actions.

So what if he wasn't suppose to be out at night with a passenger?
Does it make it right that the other driver is allowed to drink and drive?

I don't see the drinking as any more right then the other.

But I'd say that the kid may have done something wrong, but is it wrong enough to warrant a death sentence?
I don't think there should be any excuse that the drunk man wasn't (which he was very much in the wrong) at fault and the person that passed on and the person in hospital should be awarded a full settlement as well has starvation and torture for the drunk driver.

In Young Drivers of Canada we were taught about the punicshments of drinking and driving in Nova Scotia as well as different parts of the world, I'll see if I can dig them up from somewhere.

Last edited by stevrock; 04-23-2005 at 05:55 PM.
Old 04-23-2005, 06:25 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I am confused by the title... again? I was thinking a kid was killed then revived and was involved in another collision and killed him.
Old 04-23-2005, 06:27 PM
Banned

No, last year this time another student at my school dropped his bike and died..thats what the AGAIN is for...
Old 04-23-2005, 06:42 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
No, last year this time another student at my school dropped his bike and died..thats what the AGAIN is for...
Yeah after I posted that I re-read it and noticed it :pat: I must either be really tired or having a blonde moment.
Old 04-23-2005, 07:49 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by oly884
so is a bullet
But you cant re-use the bullet. That piece of rope will last a long time.
Old 04-23-2005, 08:38 PM

I'm still not clear who was at fault. A drunk driver isn't automatically at fault (cause of the accident) because he's drunk (which is NO excuse to drive drunk!!) As a parent, I'd have to say the kids parents made extremely poor decisions letting him get a Ninja at such a young and inexperienced age, and letting him ride at such a late hour, especially on a Friday night. To me, that's like letting a 5 yr. old play with a loaded gun. Perhaps he and his mom were fighting because she knew the dangers and didn't want him out. I think you used the word "invincibility". This is a very sad, yet unforgettable, way of reminding youth that nobody is invincible.

Fact is, probably a large percentage of people on the road on a Friday or Saturday night at 2:00AM are lit up on one substance or another. Its a bad time to be on the road, especially on a cycle.
Old 04-23-2005, 08:46 PM

Originally Posted by Mickdady
...Also in our state if you are involved in an accident and you are drunk it does not matter who is at fault. You are 100% at fault.

No, that can't be right. Again, I hate drunk drivers, but the person who caused the accident, comparatively or totally, should be at fault based upon the same rate. For arguments sake, say a racer dies after crosses into oncomming traffic and hitting a drunk driver. So the drunk is going to be 100% at fault? That's not justice.
Old 04-23-2005, 11:34 PM
Contributing Member

He was cut in half in the accident, not just having his abdomen cut open. Read on.

Motorcycle mishap kills man, 20
Great Kills resident crashes his bike on Korean War Veterans Memorial Parkway
Sunday, April 10, 2005
By JOHN ANNESE and JEFF HARRELL
STATEN ISLAND ADVANCE
A Great Kills man with a passion for riding motorcycles died after crashing his new bike into a guardrail on the Korean War Veterans Memorial Parkway early yesterday morning.

Police believe speeding was the cause of the crash, which killed Eddie Holder, 20, a union iron worker who lived with his parents on the 200-block of Corbin Avenue.

Holder got the new motorcycle, a Yamaha R-1, just two weeks ago, said his cousin, Sandy Weidmyer, and rode it constantly. He left the house at about 11:30 p.m. to go for a ride, she said.

"He loved riding his bike, that was his passion," Ms. Weidmyer said, adding that Holder had hoped to one day join the Wheelie Boys, a stunt bikers' group that filmed several of its videos in Brooklyn.

According to a police spokeswoman, Holder was traveling south on the parkway "at a high rate of speed."

As he approached the Arden Avenue exit, Holder lost control of the motorcycle and smashed into the guardrail in the highway's center median, the spokeswoman said.

The impact from the collision hurled his body for nearly the length of a football field.

When police arrived, they recovered the motorcycle "approximately 100 yards from the victim," the spokeswoman said.

No one else was involved in the crash. "It was just him and the guardrail," the spokeswoman said.

Holder was taken directly to the city Medical Examiner's Seaview morgue, police said.

An emergency medical services (EMS) source said the victim was found with his abdomen cut open.

Ms. Weidmyer, 26, of Tottenville, said she had been spending a lot of time with her cousin and one of his friends over the past two months.

"We'd go hang out. We'd go to Chinese food, dinner, the mall," she said. "We always ended up, at the end of the night, at a lounge."

Holder had always loved riding his bike, his quad all-terrain vehicle, and a Ford Navigator truck he recently bought.

She described Holder as a "wonderful person, caring, kindhearted."

"He would give up anything in the world to help somebody else," she said.

Holder also loved his "very tight-knit" extended family, she said.

Holder, a member of Susan E. Wagner High School's graduating Class of 2002, played on the high school's football team for four years, as a middle linebacker, Ms. Weidmyer said. He later became a member of the team's alumni association.

He also attended Barnes Intermediate School, Great Kills.

After high school, Holder joined Local Union 40 and becoming an iron worker like his father, Gary.

Two days a week, he would take classes with the Local 40 Apprentice Training Program.

"He just loved his job," Ms. Weidmyer said. "He was kind of following in his father's footsteps." Holder was a parishioner at St. Patrick's R.C. Church, Richmond.

Friday night's death raises the Island's total in traffic fatalities to six so far this year, according to NYPD Highway Unit figures.

Surviving are his parents, Gary and Anna Holder; his brother, Gary; his sister, Jeana; his maternal grandmother, Rina (Nonna Rina) Anaxagoras; and his paternal grandmother, Jean Holder.

The funeral will be from Harmon Funeral Home, West Brighton, with a mass Wednesday at 11 a.m. at St. Patrick's Church. Burial will follow in Resurrection Cemetery, Pleasant Plains.

John Annese and Jeff Harrell are news reporters for the Advance. They may be reached at annese@siadvance.com and harrell@siadvance.com.

http://www.silive.com/news/advance/i...3895819560.xml

Quick Reply: Local teen dies in Motorcycle crash...AGAIN...