Cycling Mountain biking, road biking, any type of pedal powered biking

Urban bike ride testing the GoPro HD camera in daylight, and Google My Tracks

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2010, 11:41 AM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Urban bike ride testing the GoPro HD camera in daylight, and Google My Tracks

Suppose to hit around 70 degrees here today, so I took advantage of it this morning by loading up the bike to ride a trail that goes through several cities called the Interurban Trail.

I also used my Droid to capture part of the ride with the app called My Tracks.
Very cool app for the Droid as it can record your whole route and display time, elevation, speed, ect, same as a handheld GPS unit.

Here is a partial route before I turned it off.
http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?hl=en...2edfe9471&z=16

By clicking on the three entries on the left side of the screen, you can view the route.
Clicking the third link gives you a chart with my info, very slick app.
As stated in another thread where I tested this app, this will come in handy up in the mountains when I take the bike and ride trails as I can get back to the same ones again in the future if I want too, and send the info to others to find the same trails I ride.

The recording was done with my Droid in my bike jackets pocket with the GPS enabled (must be on to record tracks) and I was impressed it got a signal inside of the pocket.
It recorded the route perfectly from where I parked and headed North, to where I came back and went a hundred feet or so South of my FJ, then back to the FJ again where I turned off the record feature.

The Droid or any Android OS phone running this app will give a handheld GPS a run for the money.
Take that iPhone

I also wanted to test out the GoPro HD camera too that I bought last fall in daylight.
I used the Chest Mount strap, not the helmet mount.
From what I have read online, this is the preferred way to shoot the vids so you can see the handlebars and fork on the bike.
It worked very well, and I shot it in HD widescreen at these settings:
720p = 1280x720 pixels (16:9), 30 fps, 8 Mbit/s data rate

Here is part of the ride, I did not want to record the whole ride since it is just urban riding.
You can hear the hum of the Kenda Nevegal tires too.
It turned out pretty good, and plays widescreen.
I like the 720 setting the best since I run a widescreen monitor for my computer.
The other two settings 1080P and 960P are good too, with the latter one not filling the screen width wise, but filling it vertically.

Here is a link to the video.
http://vimeo.com/10309950

With better weather coming in the next few months, I can not wait to get out camping in the mountains and hit some trails with the Rockhopper Pro, and test out the camera some more.

Earlier in the year too I took off the clipless pedals and put on Straitlines platform pedals, and Five Ten Impact 2 shoes with the sticky stealth rubber soles.
It feels as though as I am clipped in, even on the upstroke of the pedal.
I can see why many of the downhill racers in mountain biking are getting away from clipless and going with a setup like this.
You really have to physically lift your foot off the pedal to move your foot.

And finally a picture of Mount Rainier in the background from this one spot I stopped to take the picture.
Also shot with the Droid.
And a quick picture of me in a dirty FJ Cruiser side window.
You can make out the ARB fridge in there too.

Old 03-20-2010, 12:37 PM
totally a bro
Staff

Received 45 Likes on 28 Posts
haha nice "myspace" shot corey! more info on that cam? I'd like to do something similar for fishing so when i'm out alone i can record my catch if you will.

checked the link.. looks kinda bulky for a camera thats stickied to your helmet.

Last edited by vital22re; 03-20-2010 at 12:43 PM.
Old 03-20-2010, 01:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
where was the wheelie? hahaha but i do like the way that video turned out
Old 03-20-2010, 02:06 PM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Originally Posted by vital22re
haha nice "myspace" shot corey! more info on that cam? I'd like to do something similar for fishing so when i'm out alone i can record my catch if you will.

checked the link.. looks kinda bulky for a camera thats stickied to your helmet.
All the info about what the cam can do and sample HD movies are at the URL for GoPro above.

Camera is actually very small.
About 1"x2".

I have a removable mount on the helmet for it, but I prefer the chest strap since it gets the bike in the picture too.
They have mounts to put the camera on your vehicles fender too to record when you go 4wheeling, or stick it on the dash inside.

It is one of the hottest HD cams on the market right now for several sports.
Originally Posted by broncrider
where was the wheelie? hahaha but i do like the way that video turned out
No wheelie today
Plus the front fork was unlocked for a cushy ride.

Yes, I am really anxious to try this when in the woods with the bike.
Old 03-20-2010, 02:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
oo come on i was expecting like a half mile wheelie one handed!!! cant wait to see the videos in the woods. hows that camera going to take it when that moving rock moves out in front of you and you take a dirt bath? and dont lie everyone eats every now and then
Old 03-20-2010, 03:05 PM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

This camera is made for the outdoors.
It is protected by a waterproof housing good to 180'.
http://www.goprocamera.com/index.php?area=2&productid=9

The material is thick.
These GoPro cameras are made to take the punishment of the outdoors.
Waterproof to 180’ / 60m and protected from rocks and other hazards thanks to its removable polycarbonate housing. Replacement housings and lens kits are available, making repairs or refurbishing your HD HERO camera affordable and convenient. It's a GoPro...go for it.™