Cycling Mountain biking, road biking, any type of pedal powered biking

My new MTB bike!

Old 08-05-2004, 08:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My new MTB bike!

http://www.trekbikes.com/bikes/2004/mountain/4900.jsp#

ok ok so I don't have ACTUAL pics, but that's my new rig. I didn't get the silver though, I got the blue. I think the silver looks kinda cheesy. I've had it for about 2.5 weeks now, and have ridden almost every day!

Now I have a new toy to mod! Disc's first, then a Race Face seatpost, easton handlebar, and raceface cranks! maybe a psylo fork too.
Old 08-05-2004, 09:10 PM

Get a Fox Terra-Logic fork, it is awesome. Best fork out.
Old 08-05-2004, 09:45 PM
Contributing Member

nice bike .. looks like mine
Old 08-06-2004, 04:19 AM

Originally Posted by FirstToy
Get a Fox Terra-Logic fork, it is awesome. Best fork out.
If he spent $600 on the bike, I doubt he's going to want to spend that much again (or more) on a fork. Just a thought.

Nice bike man - when is it's maiden voyage scheduled?
Old 08-06-2004, 04:29 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
gotta love the hard tails, nice choice too.

theres my park prix, gets used more then the 4runner does
but the 4runner is what gets me to the good trails

Last edited by Chapman88SR5; 08-06-2004 at 04:47 AM.
Old 08-06-2004, 04:32 AM

dude I was gonna start mtn biking too. Too bad ur down in bloomington

600 bucks for a bike though..........
Old 08-06-2004, 04:42 AM

Originally Posted by AznSky
600 bucks for a bike though..........
Is that a lot or a little to you?

I just paid about $3700 for my bike, but it is my pride and joy - yes, even ahead of my 4Runner
Old 08-06-2004, 04:45 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by jacksonpt
Is that a lot or a little to you?

I just paid about $3700 for my bike, but it is my pride and joy - yes, even ahead of my 4Runner
some people dont understand why we pay so much for bikes (i didnt pay as much as u did, but if i could i would)

can we see some pics??
Old 08-06-2004, 04:51 AM

Originally Posted by cacattack
some people dont understand why we pay so much for bikes (i didnt pay as much as u did, but if i could i would)

can we see some pics??
Why do I ride? I'm going to paraphrase from Lance Armstrong's book - this is exactly how I feel, but I couldn't have explained it this well:

Why do I ride? It's my escape. The focus and intensity is so great it's clensing. To ride well, you have to be completely focused. You get a hall pass from all the crap that is everyday life.
ok... pics... check out my site for more pics/details:

Old 08-06-2004, 04:55 AM
Contributing Member

that trail looks like fun, shoulda seen the last one i went on, sand and everything buts its fun and i cant wait to do it more! love the bike
Old 08-06-2004, 05:27 AM

I actually took it out on a trail up at Purdue, it's pretty fun but kinda short.

I'm in Indianapolis now, and there are a couple trails around here. I just gotta get the lingo down. Kinda like when I started climbing, and had to learn.

btw, what is the difference between single, and double track? I can kinda figure it out, but how much wider is double track?

~ROB, actually I'm in Indy, so if you get a bike, we can ride the trails here. or I can show you the ones at PU.
Old 08-06-2004, 05:31 AM

Originally Posted by INsr5runner
btw, what is the difference between single, and double track? I can kinda figure it out, but how much wider is double track?
There is no formal difference, but basically if you can ride side by side with someone on a trail, it's doubletrack. If the trail is only wide enough for one bike at a time, it's singletrack.

Often times people consider fire roads and access roads double track, and trail singletrack. But I prefer separating them based on how wide they are, not intended purpose.
Old 08-06-2004, 05:32 AM

here is my new baby... I got it about two months ago and have fallen back in love with two wheels... I honestly feel it's the best investment i have made in years and am already saving for another

http://www.crowdedsolitude.com/mylittlebike.jpg

I think anyone that is thinking about getting a bike should deffinatly do it as soon as they can, it changes your life...

Last edited by idotmyi; 08-06-2004 at 05:34 AM.
Old 08-06-2004, 05:38 AM

can't really tell, but is that a surly?

and does it matter if you get $$ discs or ones that are like 80? I have a couple friends who ride road, and race, and are GOOD. they say the discs are just about the same as pads.
Old 08-06-2004, 06:14 AM

Originally Posted by INsr5runner
and does it matter if you get $$ discs or ones that are like 80? I have a couple friends who ride road, and race, and are GOOD. they say the discs are just about the same as pads.
Keep in mind... road riding is very different from trail riding. The conditions you'll ride in on the trail are waaaay different than what you'll see on the road. Still listen to them, but keep in mind their perspective.

Disks have 2 definite advantages - (1) they work better in the wet. Rim brakes tend to lose stopping power when they get wet, disks don't - think drum brakes versus disk brakes. (2) they don't require that the wheel be perfectly true. Rim brakes, because of their location, require that the rims be reasonable true. Disks don't - as long as the hub is fine and the wheel can spin freely, the brakes will work.

Some people argue that disks have more/better stopping power. I agree, though I don't think it's all that substantial unless you are riding in the wet. Some people argue that disks feel better - that is personal preference.

As for expensive versus cheap ones... cheap ones are generally mechanical, while expensive ones are hydraulic. Mechanicals work well, and Avid makes a great set of mechancial disks for $70-$100 per wheel depending on the sales. Hydraulic disk prices are all over the board, from about $125 to $400 per wheel.

Hydraulics generally require less maintenance, though they are harder to work on (bleed) than mechanicals, which require more but easier maintenance. Mechanical disks have pads on either side of the rotor, but only 1 pad move. That one pad moves into the rotor, pushes the rotor against the stationary pad and squeezes. Hydraulics also have pads on either side of the rotor, but the pads pince the rotor.

IMO, if you are looking into disks but don't want to spend a ton of cash, go with Avid mechanicals - they are the only reliable and the best mechancial disk brake out there. Most all hydraulic systems are good, though Magura and Hope are probably the best. Shimano and Hayes are good, but I've heard about some reliability issues with them.

FWIW, I'm running Hope Hydraulics and I love them.

Last edited by jacksonpt; 08-06-2004 at 06:16 AM.
Old 08-06-2004, 06:53 AM

thanks jackson! I can't wait to get out and ride!
Old 08-06-2004, 10:31 AM

If you get disks, it looks like you have to get new hubs too. Are your hubs disc-compatible (mounting area with screw holes for a disk brake)? If not, you might want to save up for a disc wheelset and just ebay your current ones.

The other option is to rebuild the current wheels with new hubs.

Disks are better in every way over v-brakes (rim brakes) imo. Except weight- but hydros are pretty close now.
I have a Titus Racer-X with XTR (running XTR disks for about a year now..) and love the discs.

I recommend FOX because you said psylo (which is also a fairly expensive fork) and FOX is about the best out there. Marzocchi is also great if you are not concerned about weight- as in not racing.
Old 09-02-2004, 12:41 PM
AUJWE

Hey, it's no Yeti but it is my pride and joy too. 2004 Trek Fuel 90 w/disc:

I just passed 85 miles on it the other evening during a 10 mile run in the rain. I had to clean it up after that and decided to take some pics. I've got a bag thing that goes under the rear seat, Lizard Skins galore waiting to go on, and Sette carbon handle bar ends waiting to go on. Speaking of the seat, I won it for free by completing a small survery on WTB's site. Not bad. It's a lot better than the one that came on it.

Have no complaints with it yet other than I wish it had lock-out on the fork and shock.

Joey
Old 09-02-2004, 01:16 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by jacksonpt
ok... pics... check out my site for more pics/details:
Looks like the 575 got built 9am I reading the decal correctly?). Did you get a final weight on it?
Old 09-02-2004, 01:27 PM
Contributing Member

Nice bike Mike (whoa that rhymed, sorry)! I love to MTB too, I have a Mongoose (before they went to crap) 3.0 VRS dual suspension, and I love it! I love the single track riding just because it keeps me more focused and the riding seems faster. We have some good trails around here that I go on quite often. Here's a pic of mine.
Attached Thumbnails My new MTB bike!-dscf0082.jpg  

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: My new MTB bike!