Cycling Mountain biking, road biking, any type of pedal powered biking

Mountain bike upgrades

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2004, 01:18 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mountain bike upgrades

I am only a year into mountain biking, but I'm loving it. I own a 2003 model Giant Warp DS2 . I am a bit of an adrenaline junky and have really gotten into biking. But i know that I'm still a total NEWBIE to this. I love the bike I have and I'm glad I went with full suspension right off the bat. Some friend's have more sophisticated and more hard-core bikes and I have had fun trying them out. I can certainly tell that they are upgrades from my own bike. My bike is not holding me back, but I like the idea of improveming my equipment.

So my question is what direction do people suggest in the way of upgrades? I have heard that front fork is a good place to start. Also, what does it take to make the switch to disc brakes? what kind of costs would I be looking at? Thanks for any input.

Oh yeah, the bike is still stock right now. I have added some front and rear fenders, and a new chain and rear brake pads. Both the chain and brake pads were upgrades from stock equipment, but I can't remember the brands.
Old 06-08-2004, 02:26 PM

get a fork that has both mounts for regular c-lever and disks.

you can get a mechanical disk. about $80. this month's issue of MOUNTAIN BIKE ACTION has an article for disk brakes.

but the killer part is that you need to pickup a new hub that has mounts for the disc itself.

i just recently picked up an 03 giant VT-1 and everything on there is so new to me. considering my last bike was a 96 model.
Old 06-08-2004, 02:49 PM
Contributing Member

Is there anything about it that drives you nuts? LIke the seat or shifters? I'd replace anything that bugs you first.

The best upgrade I did on mine was switching to clipless pedals & nice biking shoes. Scary at first, but it doesn't take long to get used to them, and you get so much more out your bike, and your legs.

As for other parts, I never replaced anything that wasn't a big weight savings, or bugging me by not working right, or broken. Parts on my bike seemed to break a lot.
Old 06-08-2004, 03:52 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Fork is always a good move. But good, LIGHT stuff is big bucks. I'm not up on the latest.

Since you are full suspension, you could jump to 28 hole radial spoked wheels when you upgrade to discs. That spec list shows 32 Hole rims with 36 Hole hubs??

Clipless is a nice upgrade/weight savings.

Using Titanium and CF parts where you can afford it helps keep the weight down too.

XTR or SRAM deraileures (sp) are an upgrade also. I'm sure there's plenty of other jewelry you can slap on there to upgrade it.

I think I'm heading out for a ride...
Old 06-08-2004, 05:06 PM
Banned

just dug my bike out of a pile in the backyard.... it still looks decent..... time to air up the tires, have the brakes adjusted correctly, tighten up the bottom bracket 9it is loose, and siezed i guess-need to adress this), and replace the headset (it loosens itself all the time for some reason)
Old 06-08-2004, 06:03 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Cebby
Fork is always a good move. But good, LIGHT stuff is big bucks. I'm not up on the latest.

Since you are full suspension, you could jump to 28 hole radial spoked wheels when you upgrade to discs. That spec list shows 32 Hole rims with 36 Hole hubs??

Clipless is a nice upgrade/weight savings.

Using Titanium and CF parts where you can afford it helps keep the weight down too.

XTR or SRAM deraileures (sp) are an upgrade also. I'm sure there's plenty of other jewelry you can slap on there to upgrade it.

I think I'm heading out for a ride...
I noticed the same thing about the light stuff while web surfing! I realized how a $750 bike becomes a $2000 bike. I have not really considered the clipless pedals. I use pedal toe clips with my regular tennis shoes. what is the difference in the rims that you were referrring to?
Old 06-08-2004, 06:28 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ewarnerusa
I noticed the same thing about the light stuff while web surfing! I realized how a $750 bike becomes a $2000 bike. I have not really considered the clipless pedals. I use pedal toe clips with my regular tennis shoes. what is the difference in the rims that you were referrring to?
Generally, discs are heavier than calipers. The 28 hole wheels with radial lacing is lighter than a typical 32h or 36h cross. (Spokes are shorter on the radial and there are less of them) Helps to offset the added weight of the discs.

Full suspension bikes aren't as brutal to rims to rigids so the radial spoking will hold up.

My Klein Mantra Comp frame is setup for discs, but I haven't taken the plunge for the discs/wheels. You have to do it all together since the wheel hubs are different for discs.
Old 06-08-2004, 07:36 PM
Contributing Member

My husband is into the mountain biking thing too. One of the things that my husband is drooling over is the "camel back mule" it is one of those water packs. He has one already but it doesn't hold as much water. Another thing is to get a first aid kit (just in case )

Hubby's suggestion is to get rid of the fenders (unless you are riding muddy trails, or serious downhill) and get glasses (bike glasses). That will lighten the load a little.

Just go out and have a blast that is all that counts.

YM
Old 06-09-2004, 05:20 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by YorkieMomma
My husband is into the mountain biking thing too. One of the things that my husband is drooling over is the "camel back mule" it is one of those water packs. He has one already but it doesn't hold as much water. Another thing is to get a first aid kit (just in case )

Hubby's suggestion is to get rid of the fenders (unless you are riding muddy trails, or serious downhill) and get glasses (bike glasses). That will lighten the load a little.

Just go out and have a blast that is all that counts.

YM
Already have the Camelback Mule and the first aid kit. ;-) I love the water supply! The fenders have been added because the bike is also transportation to work and it keeps me a little cleaner when I show up. They are lexan and quite lightweight. They are great on on the muddy trails, which I do ride. I have some great glasses, too, that are just yellow work safety glasses. But they actually look cool.
Old 06-09-2004, 06:40 AM
Contributing Member

Already have the Camelback Mule and the first aid kit. ;-) I love the water supply! The fenders have been added because the bike is also transportation to work and it keeps me a little cleaner when I show up. They are lexan and quite lightweight. They are great on on the muddy trails, which I do ride. I have some great glasses, too, that are just yellow work safety glasses. But they actually look cool.
IMHO, pedals. After that, its decreasing utility. That is, if you want a high quality fork, you'll spend nearly the price of the bike on just the fork. But keep your eyes open, maybe you can find a Marzocchi MX series or Manitou Black series onsale for a few hundred. If you ride in mud and/or want the ability to perform 1-fingered endos, think about disc brakes (realize that requires a new wheelset besides the cost of brakes. Also, I didn't see disc mounts on the rear frame. disc up front is still better than none.

If that is a light frame, consider decking it out. But if its not, or if its loose, too squishy or something else, save your money for the next bike.

Sorry if I seem bitter. I put nearly a grand into a mediocre full suspension over the course of 3 years. Then I realized the frame was a pogo-stick and bought a new frame.
Old 06-09-2004, 06:48 AM
Contributing Member

I've heard alot about pedals. Actually, the pedals I have are the second pair because I had to change them to put the toe clips on. My web surfing about forks has led me to the same conclusion as Bennito. The bike cost me $750, so I can't justify a $500 fork. The frame is set up for disc brakes, but I would need alot of other hardware still to make the switch. Man, what an expensive hobby I got in to! I think I'll keep charging ahead with the bike I have, and save up for the next one.

bennito - I used to live in C-springs a couple years ago. I lived near downtown on Platte and Custer. What's new in that town?
Old 06-09-2004, 06:56 AM

First and foremost what type of riding are you doing and what direction are you heading in? Are you freeriding, XCing, downhill... the type of riding that you are doing and the direction you are headed can make all the difference in what type of equipment you buy.
For a long time I rode with clipless pedals until my style of riding changed. Now there is no way in hell I would ride with them. Sure I loose a little speed and power but when I'm on a 10' skybridge built by some high schooler you can bet I want off in a safe, fast way if things go wrong.
So my advice is to look at where you are at today and ask yourself what it is that you enjoy about the sport. Is it hauling ass down single track, or just being outdoors? The difference in what equipment you get is in the type of riding you do.
Old 06-09-2004, 07:03 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by steelhead
First and foremost what type of riding are you doing and what direction are you heading in? Are you freeriding, XCing, downhill... the type of riding that you are doing and the direction you are headed can make all the difference in what type of equipment you buy.
For a long time I rode with clipless pedals until my style of riding changed. Now there is no way in hell I would ride with them. Sure I loose a little speed and power but when I'm on a 10' skybridge built by some high schooler you can bet I want off in a safe, fast way if things go wrong.
So my advice is to look at where you are at today and ask yourself what it is that you enjoy about the sport. Is it hauling ass down single track, or just being outdoors? The difference in what equipment you get is in the type of riding you do.
I would say cross country riding. I like the climbs and decents of a single track. I'm definitely not a true downhiller, even though I do love that part of the trail.
Old 06-09-2004, 11:36 AM

For XC riding, clipless pedals and some decent shoes all the way. I have the shimano pedals with a cage around the clipless part, so you can ride with regular or biking shoes. That's probably the best bang for your buck right there.

Second, I value my brakes. I have some avid arch rival rim brakes, they are the closest thing to disk I have used. You can find them for $50 a set, I love 'em.

Third, I like my shifters. I have a full XT setup (cranks, cassette, BB, shifters, deraileurs) and it makes a ton of difference, especially those times where you come around a corner to a surprise uphill. This is the priciest one, but in my opinion worth it.

Everything else is probably a diminishing return.
Old 06-09-2004, 01:34 PM
Contributing Member

bennito - I used to live in C-springs a couple years ago. I lived near downtown on Platte and Custer. What's new in that town?
Thinking more about upgrades. I'd still go wtih clipless (Especially if you're xc riding). You dont' realize how much more efficiency you have until you switch back to flats. If you're willing to put a few more miles on your current setup, end-of-year sales start early on the net. If you want one of the latest and greatest (Fox F-100x or Manitou Minute) you'll probably have to wait later in the year than if you go with 2004 models that do not have new valving. Of course 2003 (and earlier) forks can still be found online cheap.

Discs might not be too expensive. Price point had avid mechanicals on sale for 60$ each last fall. You re-use your current brake levers and cables. So all you have to do is find a cheap wheelset. I scored a Sun Singletrack/XT-hub wheelset for 150$ total (which is cheap and heavy. but i bet there are better values out there as well).

As for the springs, not much is new. Growth is back. There's no water to be had. And Palmer Park still might be the best urban mountain biking around.
Old 06-09-2004, 02:06 PM
Contributing Member

I agree, go clipless first off. Most shoe and pedal setups not only increase efficiency, but they also keep your knees and feet in the correct positions to reduce the chance of injuries to your joints and muscles. After I got used to riding clipless, i'll never go back. Just be careful if you decide to start doing some real technical stuff, because clipless are not always the safest things to get out of as others have said. I'll never foget my first ride with clipless. I went on an 8 mile single track and made it all the way through, then when I got back to load up the bike I forgot I had clipless pedals and completely busted my butt in front of everyone getting ready to hit the trails :pat: