Notices
The Classifieds GraveYard Where old classifieds threads go that are too good to let go

Need a Piston/Rod/Rod bearing, 3VZE in CO

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2007, 07:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Need a Piston/Rod/Rod bearing, 3VZE in CO

Hey guys,
I need a piston/rod/rodbearing assembly. i am in CO and I'll pull it myself if withing an hour drive of me. let me know what you got. If you pull it I will definitely pay for your time and shipping. I'm hoping someone out there has one laying around.
i have checked all the salvage yards around here and i couldn't find much.

Thanks
Joe
Old 06-10-2007, 10:33 AM

bump
Old 06-10-2007, 10:49 AM
Donny, you're out of your element
Staff

Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts
If you try to install a used rod bearing/piston/rod from another motor, you;re going to have a big problem. Every engine part wears differently, so unless you are putting in the old piston, you have to go new on the parts. Otherwise, you'll prolly just lock up your engine. Then you'll be in big trouble.
Old 06-10-2007, 08:00 PM

Originally Posted by DeathCougar
If you try to install a used rod bearing/piston/rod from another motor, you;re going to have a big problem. Every engine part wears differently, so unless you are putting in the old piston, you have to go new on the parts. Otherwise, you'll prolly just lock up your engine. Then you'll be in big trouble.
The old rings and rod bearing are in good shape so i was going to use those over - Why would this lockup the engine? I'm trying to see your logic here and it just doesn't make sense to me. Thanks
Old 06-10-2007, 09:16 PM
Donny, you're out of your element
Staff

Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts
the piston shapes itself based on wear, and wear characteristics. If you put a piston that is worn one way, into a cylinder thats worn another way, you're going to have a problem. Perhaps its a bit extreme to say the engine will lock up....but a buddy of mine just had this same thing happen to him. He got the engine back from the machine shop, and they reused the pistons, but did not put them back in the holes they came out of. The engine ran for about 5 mins before a piston went haywire.

Either way, just buy new stuff and do it right the first time. WHY oh why if you are rebuilding an engine, would you ever reuse rod bearings or piston rings? They are relatively cheap, and its a big deal to replace them if/when they fail.

Talk to ted @ engnbldr, he has all the parts you will need in new fashion, at a great price.
Old 06-19-2007, 09:13 AM

bump
Old 06-27-2007, 08:21 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yo,
I just took the internals of one 3.0 and put them into another 3.0. Did install new rings and bearings. Old pistons were marginal. Rings have now seated with little breakin effort and all is now smooth running. I did match pistons to cylinders as close as possible.

Go for it.