Notices
The Classifieds GraveYard Where old classifieds threads go that are too good to let go

FS: '87 4Runner $1,500 in Maryland - tons of pics inside...

Old 01-19-2008, 05:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SOLD 1/28/08 FS: '87 4Runner $1,500 in Maryland - tons of pics inside...

SOLD! Thanks to all for looking

1987 4Runner, 5 speed, 22RE EFI, pretty much original and stock with 216,xxx miles. I am located just south of Annapolis, Maryland which is of course close to Washington, DC and Baltimore.

Not stock items seem to be limited to 31x10.5 BFG tires, a pioneer AM/FM stereo/cd player, and maybe the exhaust. The exhaust is in good shape.

Rear window does work, 5-speed transmission shifts great, 4WD works well as does low gearing in transfer case.

Engine starts immediately and runs strong. 216,xxx miles on original engine as far as I know. I just change the oil and it keeps running. It has literally been a daily driver for years and years.

Top comes off seasonally and goes back on without leaks or issues. One of the best features of the 1st gen of course! See the last pic for a top off pic from last summer.

Bad stuff: hit a deer recently and messed up the front corner (see pics.) Rear wiper and rear defroster are not connected and may not work. In this cold weather the check engine light comes on periodically (but I did pass Maryland emissions in November). Cold also seems to make the belts squeak on startup, but it goes away in a few seconds. Body and interior look like they have 216,000 miles on them because they do. You will find some rust, torn drivers seat, dings, scratches, etc. Take a look at the pics.

I'm not just trolling or interested in wasting anyone's time. I am serious about getting this thing out of my garage as I bought a new Tundra. I hope I picked a fair asking price at $1,500 - I welcome any comments on this either way. Thanks for looking!

Last edited by RMcQ; 01-28-2008 at 05:00 PM.
Old 01-20-2008, 10:22 AM

I got a solid offer today, but below my asking price. I'm not sure if I made a mistake by not taking it. Does anyone have any comment on my asking price? Fair or out of whack? Thanks.
Old 01-20-2008, 10:57 AM

price looks good to me... I'd snatch it up in a second if I could
Old 01-20-2008, 12:29 PM
Contributing Member

x2 on the price being good ... if I had $1500, I'd get it in a heartbeat
Old 01-20-2008, 04:14 PM

Personally I wouldn't take any offer other than your asking price. I feel you offered it too low! I even went as far as pricing air fare out there to pick it up and drive home the 2500 miles to SoCal!!!

DON'T BE LOW BALLED!!!!!

-=Morphine=-
Old 01-20-2008, 04:15 PM

I'm in Lothian (also just south of Annapolis) and was thinking of dropping a little to get mine on the road but it would probably be cheaper to consider yours. How bad is the rust and where is it? It's hard to tell from the pics. Not that it's not worth $1500 to somebody but what would you take cash (obviously) for a quick sale? Have you owned it long? Any mechanical issues (looking for something fun as a dd)?
Old 01-20-2008, 04:52 PM

Originally Posted by 84RNR
I'm in Lothian (also just south of Annapolis) and was thinking of dropping a little to get mine on the road but it would probably be cheaper to consider yours. How bad is the rust and where is it? It's hard to tell from the pics. Not that it's not worth $1500 to somebody but what would you take cash (obviously) for a quick sale? Have you owned it long? Any mechanical issues (looking for something fun as a dd)?
I work down in Tracys Landing so I go through Lothian regularly. Small world. The rust is around the wheel wells, mostly just surface rust. Sometime in the past there must have been flares on it and it developed some rust around the edges of where the flares sat. The pics pretty much tell the story. There are imperfections, but nothing really bad. It would be a lot of work to make it a show car, but the body will need nothing to be a daily driver. Actually, it is a daily driver.

I have had it for about 3 years. The guy that owned it before lives right across from Southern High School. It was out in his yard with a sign on it when I saw it 3 years ago. He used it to commute to Reisterstown for years and years which is how it racked up a lot of its mileage.

I am being very sincere when I say I have had zero engine issues. The only thing i have had to screw with is emissions related BS to get it through emissions inspection even though it was running fine. My engine work has been limited to a PCV valve and O2 sensor. It passed emissions in November 07 but not I am starting to get an intermittant check engine light especially when it is really cold.

Honestly I just change the oil and drive it. I have driven it recently to Philadelphia and to New Jersey on different trips. The truck will make a fine daily driver because that is what it is. Its too hard to find somewhere legal to wheel it anyway so the most I got to do is some beach driving in Delaware and the OBX.

I had a buyer in my driveway today with cash making a solid offer but under $1,500. I passed as I wanted to make sure I had the opportunity to feel out the market and get fair market value for the truck. Believe me, I am not trolling or goofing around - the truck will be sold as I have a new Tundra and another project car so vehicle quantity is getting too high around here. I want it sold, but I also am not in some kind of financial bind where I'll take anything because I'm strapped for cash. If I don't get the $1,500 I'll call the friendly guy that was here today and sell him the truck as he was the first to contact me.

Why don't you take a look and take it for a drive and see if you think it is worth $1,500 to you. You could meet me during the day at my shop in Tracys Landing or in the evening in Edgewater. My email is ryan |at| mcqfamily |dot| com or call four1oh-two1too-six1three1
Old 01-21-2008, 04:37 PM

Definitely seems like a fair price. I pm'd you.
Old 01-23-2008, 02:45 AM

I guess maybe I'll try a no reserve Ebay auction and let it go to the highest bidder. $1,500 may be a fair price, but only if there is a buyer at that price. I guess it needs more exposure than yotatech and craigslist. I was trying to stick with free listing options, but I guess I'll give Ebay a try.
Old 01-23-2008, 03:24 AM

I wish this truck had been up for sale when my 4runner had got flipped on its side.
Old 01-23-2008, 03:47 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
A lot depends on time. Time of year, and time of exposure. IF you have some time, you should be able to get your $1500. Any lower is a bargain for someone!!
Once i had a Nordic Track to sell, and posted it on a Yahoo classified site.. it stayed there a YEAR... suddenly one day I got an email from a very excited person who came right over and bought it, no bargaining. But, if you're in a hurry.... Ebay...
Old 01-23-2008, 07:07 AM
Contributing Member

maybe interested in a trade+ cash for my 94 SAS 4runner?
Old 01-23-2008, 07:19 AM

Originally Posted by chimmike
maybe interested in a trade+ cash for my 94 SAS 4runner?
No, sorry. The purpose of the sale is to reduce the quantity of vehicles at my house. Wifey thinks I am running a used car lot.
Old 01-26-2008, 03:55 AM

Screw Ebay. It costs too much to list/sell a car this cheap there. This is my weekend bump. I'm going to let it go for under $1,500 to my highest offer by the end of the weekend.
Old 01-28-2008, 04:58 PM

Sold. $1,500. Just took a little time I guess.