YotaTech Forums

YotaTech Forums (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/)
-   Tires & Wheels (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f177/)
-   -   Goodyear MT/R on SC 4runner anygood? (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f177/goodyear-mt-r-sc-4runner-anygood-10269/)

David 05-05-2003 11:49 AM

Goodyear MT/R on SC 4runner anygood?

I have a 98 4runner auto with intake and trd supercharger, after 10,000 miles on my BFG all terrains i have massive tire spin in the rain,

I am going bigger soon to 285/75/16 and want to know what people think about the goodyear mtr for highway and rain, even though i am well aware that its an off road tire, I just love the way that tire looks

any suggestions would be great

jacksonpt 05-05-2003 11:55 AM

2 options here...

1) lay off the gas a bit in the wet
2) get a wet performance tire that is actually meant to grip well in the wet

bottom line - if you juice it in the rain, any all-terrain or mud tire is going to spin, period. *rant* They aren't performance tires... they aren't designed to do what you want them to do, i.e. grip wet roads under heavy accelleration/torque */rant*

Dr. Zhivago 05-05-2003 11:58 AM

You could get them siped for better wet/mud/snow traction. Siping can also prolong tire life as it lets the tire run a bit cooler during cruising. Ask your dealer if they offer siping or know where you can get it done. It's around $9-$12 per tire, depending on the the shop and your geographic location.

My .02
Dr. Z

David 05-05-2003 12:07 PM

i understand laying off the gas a bit, however can you explain that i did not have this prob at all for the first 10,000 miles of the tire

Dr. Zhivago 05-05-2003 12:15 PM

David, the top part of a tire's tread is softer than the lower part. It wears faster because it squirms a bit more, and therefore gives a bit more traction since it is also a bit softer. It is the "wear" part of the tread, while the lower part is the "mileage" part of the tread.

I think you could still look into getting them siped, even with a few miles on them.

Hope this helps.
Dr. Z

amorphous 05-05-2003 01:55 PM

wwwdotgoodyeardotcom

david

www.goodyear.com

it will give you the performance ratings for offroad, wet pavement, dry pavement, snow and if I recall, even noise.

my choice, wrangler mt/s

~aaron

oly884 05-05-2003 02:37 PM

I can spin my 33's in the rain, WITH my 3.0 L V-6! It just happens, I try to lay off the gas when I'm in the rain. Heck, it gets so bad that if I'm going around a sharp corner in 3rd or 4th I can get sideways in the rain, NOT FUN! I'm going to sipe my tires with a razor blade, just for a little more traction.

Flygtenstein 05-05-2003 02:44 PM

Going to a mud tire for wet traction is not a good idea, almost the anti-thesis of what common sense would or should tell you to do.

If you want wet traction, get an AT tire that has fewer voids or some sort of performance tire that is meant to work under these conditions.

I have MT/R's. They are not bad in the rain, but I liked my BFG's better. If my only purpose were to get rain traction, the MT/R's would be near the bottom of my list.

Less gas works well too.

Paintballguy59 05-05-2003 04:10 PM

I drove a tundra for a week and spun the tires whenever i hit the gas. it has the trd tires on it.... your gonna get that with any type of offroading tire and with that torque from the blower.

calrockx 05-05-2003 04:29 PM

yeah, i have the MTRs. while i love these tires, i gotta admit their weakness is wet traction. i've never spun out of control or anything in the rain, but i have slipped and slided a few times on acceleration. so you just gotta be careful in the rain with mud tires.

Toyota Punk 05-05-2003 05:38 PM

I used to have MT/R's on my '94 and they were terrile in rain or snow, I wouldn't recommend them at all for that application. I suppose siping them would help and if I still had that truck I would have tried it, but I've got no idea.

Del 05-05-2003 06:04 PM

It wears faster because it squirms a bit more, and therefore gives a bit more traction since it is also a bit softer.
I actually had the opposite happen when I got my BFG MT's. The first couple hundred miles seemed like the tires were more slippery than they shoulda been. However, there did seem to be a shiny slick surface on the tire though.

I used to have MT/R's on my '94 and they were terrile in rain or snow
I found my MT's on my 94 4Runner to be quite good in the snow. I was in Mammoth for 2 months and during december we got like 12 feet of snow. I was able to get up to Main Lodge with almost no problem with those. I turned sideways a couple times, but with that much snow, that's to be expected unless you had chains on all 4 wheels.

Toyota Punk 05-05-2003 06:06 PM

Originally posted by Del
I found my MT's on my 94 4Runner to be quite good in the snow. I was in Mammoth for 2 months and during december we got like 12 feet of snow. I was able to get up to Main Lodge with almost no problem with those. I turned sideways a couple times, but with that much snow, that's to be expected unless you had chains on all 4 wheels.
That's crazy, I had a horrible time. I wonder what the difference was. :dunno:

Del 05-05-2003 06:09 PM

Hm... I do have the infamous sag in the back, so maybe the lower center of gravity in the back helped?

White SR5 05-05-2003 06:15 PM

Siping?

Originally posted by Dr. Zhivago
I think you could still look into getting them siped, even with a few miles on them.

What's siping? :baby:

Zach

Del 05-05-2003 06:18 PM

I think it's when you get the tread sliced with a blade to open up some of the "lugs" on the tires.

Victor 05-05-2003 06:43 PM

Siping puts very fine lines in the tread - almost invisible. It allows the tire tread to flex easier and thus grab better. There are guys who have bought a tire iron and made their voids more aggressive.

Dr. Zhivago 05-05-2003 10:36 PM

Some articles about siping:

http://www.abc.net.au/science/k2/trek/s176087.htm

http://www.4x4review.com/tech/siping.asp

http://www.can4x4.com/articles/siping.html

http://www.4x4wire.com/toyota/tech/sipe/

Happy reading!
Dr. Z

Bundubasher 05-06-2003 06:32 AM

Just a bit of info: This years G4 Challenge (The new LandRover competition that replaces The Camel Trophy) now solely uses the MT/R (BFG used to be the tyre sponsors but obviously GoodYear is now) and you'll find all the LandRover mags bigging them up as "The Tyre to Have". After reading all the hype I was starting to get interested in them but if they do not perform as well as BFG ATs in the wet (wet? - it is always wet here in the UK!) then I'll go back to dreaming of the BFGs, on road safety wins out over off road performance.

transalper 05-06-2003 10:04 AM

Originally posted by Toyota Punk
That's crazy, I had a horrible time. I wonder what the difference was. :dunno:
Could be the type of snow. In deep snow MTs work a lot better than a AT. On wet roads, ice and light snow (shallower than the lugs) the ATs generally have better traction. Obviously it depends on a lot of conditions, but that's what I've found as a general rule.

The MTRs did great for me under most conditions this winter. In fact, never once did I wish I had less aggressive tires.